Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
3-0 baby! Go green!

Reward for that is not only not a 1, but being stuck as the two seed in Duke's bracket...

incredulous.gif

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Reward for that is not only not a 1, but being stuck as the two seed in Duke's bracket...

incredulous.gif

I thought that bracket placement was pretty bogus as well. Nice "reward" for punking Michigan 3 times.

I feel like Duke and Sparty are also walking tightropes; if Zion isn't healthy or Winston is less than a super hero, both could go down.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
We should have just lost to you guys 3 times.

Not sure how we got that placement but we're good enough to beat Duke.

Then you would have been setting yourself up for failure. Even if Michigan's only bad loss this season was to Penn State.

This Michigan squad isn't as strong as it was last season. They've been pretty inconsistent after that 16-0 or something start. Which, to me, signals a season of overachievement.

I think Sparty had a legit argument for a #1 seed or should have been the #2 seed in Gonzaga's bracket. But those three bad losses in conference play mattered obviously.

Edit:

And after looking again at the brackets, Sparty has no reason to NOT get to the Elite Eight. You couldn't have asked for a better road. Especially if Sparty is supposedly as good as some believe.

Too bad if they possibly face Duke in the Elite 8. If you're that good, it's time for them to put up or shut up.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
They missed out their chance in trading him when they kept him after his rookie season

Let's be realistic here...Tigers were NEVER going trade Fulmer directly after his rookie season

Unless they wanted a full scale revolt from fans.

The plan was to obviously trade him at some point to help out the rebuild. That obviously hurts their plans now. But Fulmer's performance last season didn't do them any favors. The same ones claiming they should have moved him already would have been pissed they moved him for a fraction of the value.

It hurts but it's not a crushing blow either. Tigers were still planning to rebuild and have younger pitching the minors to look forward.

Hopefully this gets them to move on from Castellanos.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Let's be realistic here...Tigers were NEVER going trade Fulmer directly after his rookie season

Unless they wanted a full scale revolt from fans.

The plan was to obviously trade him at some point to help out the rebuild. That obviously hurts their plans now. But Fulmer's performance last season didn't do them any favors. The same ones claiming they should have moved him already would have been pissed they moved him for a fraction of the value.

It hurts but it's not a crushing blow either. Tigers were still planning to rebuild and have younger pitching the minors to look forward.

Hopefully this gets them to move on from Castellanos.

I don't think fans would have jumped them too badly if the return was right, but who was going to pony up the sort of package the Tigers would want in dealing Fulmer at that point? There were rumors every summer of the Tigers shopping the guy, but the fact he was never moved says something about what teams were willing to offer, and it was never something that outstripped the potential of what Fulmer could give the Tigers.

What this does for me is raise the question of how baseball teams should be built. We saw Dombrowski build a pitching dominant club, and it's clear that's what Avila is looking to do. And you need pitching to win. At the same time, you also need hitters. and as prospects go they seem to bust due to injury a lot less often. It should be noted that while Fulmer is having these issues, that Perez kid we got in the Verlander deal has also dealt with injuries every season.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Sooner, rather than later, my dude :)
Casey Mize:
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/detr...EFTujVMbQDUc1wjjmXZj9q1Ceo288Q0PEY_urg2gvq88E

Mize's strongest weapon is his 70-grade, diving splitter that is complemented by excellent control. He also has a running fastball that rests in the low-to-mid 90s and a plus slider, which has undergone some data-driven tweaks thanks to his faith in modern technology.

It's like CORSI, but for baseball. There are a few on this board that should get a kick out of that line.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Not at all.

Most folks had Michigan losing to Texas Tech or not even making it to the sweet 16 as it is. They overachieved all season long with a weaker roster and lesser output than a year before.

I'd feel more disappointed if this happened to last year's squad.

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
Not at all.

Most folks had Michigan losing to Texas Tech or not even making it to the sweet 16 as it is. They overachieved all season long with a weaker roster and lesser output than a year before.

I'd feel more disappointed if this happened to last year's squad.
A 30-win team being blown out like that is embarrassing. Overachievers or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot