Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Am I the only one who thinks it looks bad that the Tigers aren't reportedly interested in Harper/Machado at all? Avila has been reloading the farm system for four years, there are only two significant contracts on the books, and they are something like $95 million below the luxury tax threshold. Go big on these two, bank on some of the pitchers that have been drafted to not be crap, and go forward. Not to mention some of these pitchers would probably look a bit better with an offense that can actually support them. And running Harper-Machado-Miggy-Castellanos out as the 2-5 hitters would do that.

The Tigers are being penny wise and pound foolish not stepping into the void and throwing their money around on these guys.
I think at least one or possibly both of them would be Tigers by now if Mike Ilitch were still around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Heck of a game for the B1G lead in basketball. Now that Meyer is no longer at Ohio nothing would make me happier than the domination of Dantonio and Izzo. Those two, especially Dantonio, have beat that underdog horse to death. :deadhorse

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Heck of a game for the B1G lead in basketball. Now that Meyer is no longer at Ohio nothing would make me happier than the domination of Dantonio and Izzo. Those two, especially Dantonio, have beat that underdog horse to death. :deadhorse

The underdog thing doesn't really work anymore anyways.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Better luck next time with the domination of Izzo. Sparty wheeled there cojones into the Chrysler Center today with wheel barrows.

Also, you're acting as if a win against Ohio State is a given with Meyer gone. Gotta see it to believe it. The past 20 years haven't given anyone reason to believe that.

And why would Sparty play the underdog card when a certain school refers to them as little brother?:sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You bet. Marching your entire team through the opponents pre-game warmup while on camera, and then denying you were there is gross. What would you call that?

They have done it in every pre-game at home in the Dantonio era. What would I call a kid being asked to leave the field and refusing then getting upset when it happened? Not a great moment for either team.

If MSU decided to stand in front of the Booster club banner and tunnel when U of M came on the field it would be a big part their fault if a dust up ensued. I could tell you, it doesn't matter they were on the field and by rule they don't have to move, but my guess is U of M would ask them to move since they have done it forever and if MSU refused yes they have a part in what has unfolded realistically.

Is what it is, glad U of M is relevant somewhat again to add more to this, though I don't expect them to start beating top 10 teams under Harbaugh since he cannot seem to do that but they are better... Domination of the rivalry with a down U of M wasn't actually what I hoped this would feel like as a MSU fan. Especially once I realized a lot of arrogant U of M fans were going to be just as annoying while getting their face caved in as they were when they were winning, that part was impressive.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
They have done it in every pre-game at home in the Dantonio era. What would I call a kid being asked to leave the field and refusing then getting upset when it happened? Not a great moment for either team.

If MSU decided to stand in front of the Booster club banner and tunnel when U of M came on the field it would be a big part their fault if a dust up ensued. I could tell you, it doesn't matter they were on the field and by rule they don't have to move, but my guess is U of M would ask them to move since they have done it forever and if MSU refused yes they have a part in what has unfolded realistically.

Is what it is, glad U of M is relevant somewhat again to add more to this, though I don't expect them to start beating top 10 teams under Harbaugh since he cannot seem to do that but they are better... Domination of the rivalry with a down U of M wasn't actually what I hoped this would feel like as a MSU fan. Especially once I realized a lot of arrogant U of M fans were going to be just as annoying while getting their face caved in as they were when they were winning, that part was impressive.

MSU asked for the field to be clear at a certain time, and it was. Then they start their march 10 minutes late and push UM players with the red rover act, you conveniently left that part out of your narrative but I digress.

Say what you will about Harbaugh, he definitely deserves some scrutiny. For all his faults he has made the Wolverine-Spartan rivalry competitive again, and for that I am thankful.

Reactions: newfy

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Better luck next time with the domination of Izzo. Sparty wheeled there cojones into the Chrysler Center today with wheel barrows.

That was a flashback for Sparty basketball. They have been overshadowed by Michigan and have underachieved for a while now.

Granted both of these teams are ranked in the top 10 and will face each other again in 2 weeks. Then possibly again in the B10 tournament.

Michigan is a very good team but I don't think they're as good as last season. Still struggle at the FT and had a bit more depth last year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
MSU asked for the field to be clear at a certain time, and it was. Then they start their march 10 minutes late and push UM players with the red rover act, you conveniently left that part out of your narrative but I digress.

Say what you will about Harbaugh, he definitely deserves some scrutiny. For all his faults he has made the Wolverine-Spartan rivalry competitive again, and for that I am thankful.

10 minutes late and asked them to move to the sideline. They refused and got walked through, it takes two to tango. My point was if U of M asks for a detailed list which for the record is something Harbaugh quite famously won't even share with opponents and MSU tried enforcing that the same way at the Big House I would call them out for their part in it.

But again I will fully admit as a lifelong MSU fan I didn't anticipate not liking U of M as a laughing stock for a while. I mean I know most Spartan fans thought they would love it, I did before it happened, but it really doesn't matter as much if they are a bad team. Hopefully they can continue to play meaningful games. MSU has a lot of work to do offensively if they want to be what they talk about being. Also, if Coach D wants me to take his statements seriously about trying to crack that elite tier, his staff needs more accountability when they bungle things as badly as they did last year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't worry about Fulmer's velocity until closer to the end of spring training. Guys are getting stretched out, working on different things, etc. That third full of March (the week of the 17th) is when I'd expect the pitchers - especially the starters - to start hitting their form a bit harder. For the record, Zimmerman is apparently looking really good in camp. How long does everyone expect that to last once the actual season starts?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jesse James is a good, young TE. Good addition to hopefully mean the Lions won't waste yet another 1st on a TE.

I think Hockenson is actually a guy thats probably worth picking as high as 8, hes much better than Ebron was but I agree with you. James is only 24, pretty well rounded and should stop them from taking a TE at 8th. A trade down situation would be perfect if they wanted to take him. I just cant pass up on a lot of the talent at premiere positions that will be there to want a tight end.

Imagine they draft Devin White, Montez Sweat, Greedy Williams or Clelin Ferrel to go along with the new signing of Flowers, Coleman etc. They could have a top 3 defense in the league

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Sparty is the deeper and better team this season. Which is a change over the past few years here in B10 basketball. As we've seen, they have the capability to survive the loss of several players.

But that doesn't change the fact that Sparty has benefited from some really bogus calls in all three of these games versus Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad