Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Confirmed: Joe Jimenez is the next great closer.

He was pretty highly touted coming up and has a pretty good season a couple years ago under his belt. Hes hitting that age where he might be really hitting his stride. Hopefully youre right

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Last I heard you had to be on the roster for 61/66 days to get the season to count towards his service time. So, yeah, Avila should be able to start calling guys up here in a few days.

It's a moot point as the writing is on the wall for this season.

Not that it should be a surprise. When you didn't have much of a plan to begin with, what do you expect?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It's a moot point as the writing is on the wall for this season.

Not that it should be a surprise. When you didn't have much of a plan to begin with, what do you expect?

Yeah, I'd have to say baseball is toast. When you have half a team in quarantine and multiple postponed games this early it doesn't seem tenable to continue.

Even with limited travel, not having a "bubble" to play in is suicide for the sport.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jamie Samuelsen of 97.1 passed away from colon cancer today.

I didn't even know he had cancer. What a gut punch.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Jamie Samuelsen of 97.1 passed away from colon cancer today.

I didn't even know he had cancer. What a gut punch.

He just announced it not even a week ago. But everyone at 97.1 and around the televised, print and audio field knew.

Seems like the type that would have kept it quiet completely if he didn't still work at 97.1; Thus why it was his thinly veiled goodbye to listeners earlier in the week

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He just announced it not even a week ago. But everyone at 97.1 and around the televised, print and audio field knew.

Seems like the type that would have kept it quiet completely if he didn't still work at 97.1; Thus why it was his thinly veiled goodbye to listeners earlier in the week
Really sucks since I listened to the morning show out of habit on my morning commute. Haven't listened to the show since the quarantine order months ago.

Wasn't expecting a familiar voice to no longer be there when I came back. If I had known he was on his last legs I would have definitely tuned in. Glad that his family was with him when he passed, though.

Reactions: izlez

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Really sucks since I listened to the morning show out of habit on my morning commute. Haven't listened to the show since the quarantine order months ago.

Wasn't expecting a familiar voice to no longer be there when I came back. If I had known he was on his last legs I would have definitely tuned in. Glad that his family was with him when he passed, though.

I rarely ever listen to the radio and have been that way for over 2 decades. But if I did it would be Drew & Mike or sports talk on WDFN or Ticket. So I've been familiar with Samuelsen for quite a while and was surprised as well to hear of the diagnosis.

From what I read and heard, didn't sound too great either. More like a spin of positivity for himself and his family. To that point, he was the lead story for Fox 2 and they comprised a lengthy tribute just a few hours after he passed. Sad as it may be, it didn't seem like much of a surprise.

This is the article with the audio of his announcement.

Jamie Samuelsen, Detroit sports radio voice, announces he has colon cancer

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

This was shocking to get on my news feed this morning. J-Sam had some great, acerbic one liners particularly when roasting the Lions. He was also one of the few guys on 97.1 who even acknowledged the Wings existence.

Condolences to his family and fans.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This was shocking to get on my news feed this morning. J-Sam had some great, acerbic one liners particularly when roasting the Lions. He was also one of the few guys on 97.1 who even acknowledged the Wings existence.

Condolences to his family and fans.

Definitely one of the ones I liked to listen to the most on there, crazy

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

I was pretty much the same. Listened every morning, but hadn't the last couple months having a different routine and no sports being on.

I had no idea he was sick and was shocked to see the news. He was always one of my favorites around Detroit Sports

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, speaking of...

What a strange sequence of events where they released Stafford's results as positive, but not the accurate results of a second negative test, which apparently the Stafford family already knew was false by the time of the release?

Reactions: Konnan511

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Curious question - Anyone here ever get their Michigan's license plate with the Lions logo?

I saw a few the other day and just wondered to myself, "...Why?" Hehe.

I would get it if it had any of the other 3 Detroit teams but not that one.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Curious question - Anyone here ever get their Michigan's license plate with the Lions logo?

I saw a few the other day and just wondered to myself, "...Why?" Hehe.

I would get it if it had any of the other 3 Detroit teams but not that one.

I just got this guy this week.
IMG_20200803_181319_01.jpg

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Obviously it's early and it's 2020, but we're already at around the quarter mark of the MLB season (although whether it'll actually finish is another matter) and last season's 114L Tigers are second in the AL after tonight's win lol.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Jacoby jones is having a helluva start. Goodrum and Candeilario are also finding their bats. Could be a big year for the Tigers if these guys take the next step, especially with the pitching that is coming up through the system soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce