Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Phew, I never would have thought it'd be mid August and Tigers are only a half game back in the AL Central. What a crazy season so far.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Tigers called up Mize, Skubal, and Paredes today. Exciting times!

They also DFA'd Lugo, who was the main piece in the J.D. Martinez trade.

The Tigers really got screwed by the league deciding to get a lot tougher on the luxury tax right when the Tigers were looking to sell off a bunch of high priced vets to contenders to restock. Sucks that Lugo didn't pan out but, well,yeah.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Remember when the Chicago White Sox traded away Fernando Tatis Jr. for a broken down James Shield? Glad Tatis Jr. ain't in our division.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm probably dooming Skubal to getting shelled tonight by bringing this up but when does Ilitch start taking heat if he doesn't start spending money on the Tigers? We're seeing Skubal start tonight, Mize tomorrow, have to think Manning isn't going to be far behind and we have some more kids along with them. Not to mention Greene and Tork. Their line has been that they would spend when it made sense. That time could come quick if these kids are the real deal.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'm probably dooming Skubal to getting shelled tonight by bringing this up but when does Ilitch start taking heat if he doesn't start spending money on the Tigers? We're seeing Skubal start tonight, Mize tomorrow, have to think Manning isn't going to be far behind and we have some more kids along with them. Not to mention Greene and Tork. Their line has been that they would spend when it made sense. That time could come quick if these kids are the real deal.
He will definitely take heat if he doesn't spend when the time comes.

I just don't think he'll want Avila to be the one handing out the contracts.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
To be fair, Illitch did spend millions of dollars already by signing the veterans Romine, Cron, Schoop, Nova and Maybin instead of letting young rookies play in their stead. Calling up Mize, Paredes and Skubal already could also cost the Tigers one year of affordable control as well.

Even before the virus delayed the development of the prospects (who mostly had not reached AAA yet), the Tigers were very unlikely to truly contend before 2022. I strongly oppose signing expensive free agents this offseason, because (a) the window of contention very likely does not open already, (b) we all will know much better in the fall of 2021, which prospects might become regulars of the future teams and (c) the Tigers should not sacrifice a draft pick for signing some free agents next year, since they seem to be picking rather (or should I say quite) high again.

Instead of signing coveted free agents the Tigers better prepare for the future by extending certain players which are still under control and thus shifting payments into 2021 to save a bit later on. A prime candidate would be M. Fulmer, if he finds his footing in time. Jones, Candelario and Norris might be intersting as well, but none of these has been similarly good/solid like Fulmer was before his injuries.

However, there is one investment Avila and Illitch should have made in my opinion: They should have tried to trade for Wil Myers with the Padres, plug him at LF or 1B (and Stewart accordingly) in the lineup, eat up his bloated salary and have San Diego reward this with one of their better prospects. Perhaps the ship has not sailed, since 1B will need to be filled for next year. A similar target could be former Tiger Justin Upton in order to pry OF Brandon Marsh form the Angels, who is somewhat blocked.

Gruß,
BSHH

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Another round of draft lottery hopelessness for me with the NBA Lottery happening tonight. I know I'm probably the only Pistons/NBA fan on this board but still... Fingers crossed.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Who's the likely #1 pick in the NBA draft?

Enh. Not a clear (LeBron/Zion) consensus this year. On average, it's either Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. But on average. NBA teams don't even have a consensus Top 5 this year. Overall it's a pretty underwhelming draft but I need something, anything from the Detroit sports gods for my two teams.

Reactions: mantha39

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Enh. Not a clear (LeBron/Zion) consensus this year. On average, it's either Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. But on average. NBA teams don't even have a consensus Top 5 this year. Overall it's a pretty underwhelming draft but I need something, anything from the Detroit sports gods for my two teams.
I trust Troy Weaver on whoever he picks, even if it’s Ball lol

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I trust Troy Weaver on whoever he picks, even if it’s Ball lol

Yeahp... If it happens it happens. I was hoping Killian Hayes a few months ago (based on the most likely lottery spots) but apparently that crowd has rather lessened for some reason.

Reactions: martinez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mize looked really good last night. His stuff was nasty. Hung one up for Encarnacion but that guy has 400+ dingers and it was Mize's debut. He looked absolutely legit

Reactions: Ricelund

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
what does he have to move? Cron's injury takes that piece off the board, and Boyd has tanked his value. Schoop could fetch something, or Soto, maybe? This short season really hurt us in this thing.

Tigers realistically wouldn't get much back for Schoop. For a team that has a realistic chance of making the playoffs, it makes more sense to keep him.

Now if you want to complain about Avila botching Boyd last year that's fine. Because this year he absolutely sunk like a stone in value.

Remember when the Chicago White Sox traded away Fernando Tatis Jr. for a broken down James Shield? Glad Tatis Jr. ain't in our division.

That trade could end up being worse than Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. At least that trade made sense for Detroit and paid off for them to reach the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad