Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He is a luxury pick they just signed a TE they have WAY BIGGER NEEDS THAN THIS!!! AS USUAL

I would LOVE to hear a "WAY BIGGER NEED" than tight end on the Lions roster right now. Youre spouting off abut how they should have taken Oliver, thats fine I would've preferred him as well, but dont make it sound like its about need then. Oliver was the biggest luxury pick the lions could've made. D line is their deepest position on the team right now. The only need as big as tight end was right guard, which makes zero sense at 8. Hockenson makes sense.

What really...REALLY pisses me off right now is seeing Denver two spots later trade down to #20, acquire a second this year and a third next year.

Who do they take? The #2 rated TE on the board and Hockenson's teammate at Iowa.

That I could have lived with. If not applaud as I do realize TE is a need.

Unfortunately for the Lions they also have plenty of needs elsewhere too. I just hope I'm wrong...that's all I'm saying

Completely different players. Detroits new offense needs a tight end thats going to block. Fant is a stretch tight end by every definition of the word. Hockenson is as good in the receiving game as him (or better), but a complete game changer when it comes to blocking. I dont love taking a tight end at number 8 but Fant wouldn't come close to doing what the lions will need him to do to be effective in the new offense so I cant really see complaining about that. I mentioned it above but tight end is the biggest need. No corners make sense at that draft spot and neither does taking a right guard so that was a reasonable pick. I mighta liked rolling with James for a season and taking Oliver but Hock is gonna help the offense in every aspect of the game so its not horrible

Reactions: BSHH and YpsiWings

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think Hock will be a good player, and I wish him the best of luck. He could be a very important addition to the offense.

But

The level of incompetence in the Lions is disgusting. Pass on Aaron Donald for Eric Ebron. Eventually you decline his option and let him walk for nothing. He goes on to lead the NFL in TDs and make the Pro Bowl. Meanwhile, you’ve created a hole at tight end you don’t even come close to filling year one, and year two it’s filled by signing Jesse James and using a #8 overall draft pick on another tight end, passing up on a DT who plays a game very similar to Aaron Donald.

Even if you isolate the storyline to just Bob Quinn moves, it begins with letting Ebron walking and creating the problem.

Ebron was the benefactor of becoming the number one target due to injuries in Indy. As such he was also the number one red zone target. He was never in the same situation air and that made his epic dropped pass count even worse. Should have traded him for a pair of socks at least, though.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would LOVE to hear a "WAY BIGGER NEED" than tight end on the Lions roster right now. Youre spouting off abut how they should have taken Oliver, thats fine I would've preferred him as well, but dont make it sound like its about need then. Oliver was the biggest luxury pick the lions could've made. D line is their deepest position on the team right now. The only need as big as tight end was right guard, which makes zero sense at 8. Hockenson makes sense.

Completely different players. Detroits new offense needs a tight end thats going to block. Fant is a stretch tight end by every definition of the word. Hockenson is as good in the receiving game as him (or better), but a complete game changer when it comes to blocking. I dont love taking a tight end at number 8 but Fant wouldn't come close to doing what the lions will need him to do to be effective in the new offense so I cant really see complaining about that. I mentioned it above but tight end is the biggest need. No corners make sense at that draft spot and neither does taking a right guard so that was a reasonable pick. I mighta liked rolling with James for a season and taking Oliver but Hock is gonna help the offense in every aspect of the game so its not horrible
This is why we won one playoff game in 62 years fans like this. Giving the team passes year after year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ebron was the benefactor of becoming the number one target due to injuries in Indy. As such he was also the number one red zone target. He was never in the same situation air and that made his epic dropped pass count even worse. Should have traded him for a pair of socks at least, though.

He was the #1 in Detroit from the day they announced the pick. He had quality competition from the receivers early on, but he was responsible for his own failure. Doesn't help that his negativity blinders (that every athlete should have) were as transparent as I've ever seen. He was destined to fail as soon as murmurs about his drops started from the fan base.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
As always, the only thing that matters is if he's a good player or not. Nobody will care if it was the biggest need or not (it was a big need), or if it was "too early for a TE", if he's going into the hall of fame in 20 years.

In general, I kind of like the idea of going left while everyone else is going right. Maybe it seems like we are a little behind the times. But maybe, while all other teams are focusing on building smaller, faster defenses to stop teams like the Rams and Chiefs, we build up our O-line and run 2 TE sets and overpower those small defenses.... or that doesn't work at all and we ARE just behind the times

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Unfortunately, it's all true: The Lions have won their last playoff game much too long ago. Drafting Ebron has not worked out well; yet letting him walk seemed to be a mistake as well and left a void at the TE position. Yesterday were some highly praised defensive players available when the Lions picked Hockenson.

But not drafting Hockenson would not have changed the past either. He was (near ?) unanimously billed as the best TE and one of the best offensive players of this draft, whereas Jesse James is widely considered to be a #2 TE. We may argue about positional value for quite some time, but it seems to me that a few successful teams of the past like NE, KC and PHI each had a strong TE.

Unlike those available heralded defensive players, Hockenson apparently comes with less risk to fulfill his potential. With playmakers like Harrison and Flowers on board, I considered TE the biggest need for the Lions. And since the Lions gave Stafford and others big contracts, this seems to be a potential window for contention right now. Thus I basically rate drafting for need a bit higher.

With all that said, drafting Hockenson at #8 is at least a defensible decision, I rate it even as a good move. Hopefully he will be a frequent target and help to mask the downgrade from Tate to Amendola a bit. I have read multiple times that this trade offers defensive depth in particular, which would make an argument for drafting this offensive player early even stronger. Anyway, Stafford simply has to deliver now (Hockenson as well, of course)!

Gruß,
BSHH

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is why we won one playoff game in 62 years fans like this. Giving the team passes year after year.

I said I wasnt a big fan of taking a tight end but its not a horrible pick until hes horrible. I'm more pointing out how big of a hypocrite you are and makes me wonder if you even watch football. Notice how you didnt respond to anything I actually wrote... so I'll ask again.

What is a way bigger need than tight end on the Lions roster? You said needs so you must be able to name a couple. And you should definitely be able to name a few players at these positions of need that they should've drafted instead. After you said they have a bunch of needs and called this a luxury pick, you went on to name a player they should've drafted from the biggest strength on the roster. Your non-thought out comments belong more on an mlive article than on here

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I said I wasnt a big fan of taking a tight end but its not a horrible pick until hes horrible. I'm more pointing out how big of a hypocrite you are and makes me wonder if you even watch football. Notice how you didnt respond to anything I actually wrote... so I'll ask again.

What is a way bigger need than tight end on the Lions roster? You said needs so you must be able to name a couple. And you should definitely be able to name a few players at these positions of need that they should've drafted instead. After you said they have a bunch of needs and called this a luxury pick, you went on to name a player they should've drafted from the biggest strength on the roster. Your non-thought out comments belong more on an mlive article than on here
DT, DE, CB ,QB!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
DT, DE, CB ,QB!

D-line is absolutely not a bigger need lol, like I said do you even watch the games? Its likely the strongest position on the roster. Corner? Definitely a need but itll be addressed tonight likely at some point. Who would you have taken at 8th at corner though? It would have been a WAY bigger reach than Hockenson was. You must not watch college football either

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
D-line is absolutely not a bigger need lol, like I said do you even watch the games? Its likely the strongest position on the roster. Corner? Definitely a need but itll be addressed tonight likely at some point. Who would you have taken at 8th at corner though? It would have been a WAY bigger reach than Hockenson was. You must not watch college football either
Besides Snacks we have no one we can count on. The team was 6-10 should have been 5-11 but we won a meaningless game to bump is down. Do YOU even watch the games? And you sound like a Stafford apologist btw. He is actually our biggest problem but I didn't want to say it because he is so cuddled by most Lions slappies. We are going into year ELEVEN with this overpaid bum ZERO playoff wins ZERO home playoff games. HORRIBLE record against teams over .500 ZERO division wins in ten seasons. Are you a lions season ticket holder???

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

3-13 next season over or under guys? THANK GOD Yzerman came back to Detroit literally the Wings are our only hope for a good team in the future...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Besides Snacks we have no one we can count on. The team was 6-10 should have been 5-11 but we won a meaningless game to bump is down. Do YOU even watch the games? And you sound like a Stafford apologist btw. He is actually our biggest problem but I didn't want to say it because he is so cuddled by most Lions slappies. We are going into year ELEVEN with this overpaid bum ZERO playoff wins ZERO home playoff games. HORRIBLE record against teams over .500 ZERO division wins in ten seasons. Are you a lions season ticket holder???

Ya Deshawn Hand didnt have a great rookie year, Ashawn Robinson complete bum to play as a rotational guy. Thats 3 quality D tackles, one of which is one of hte better in the league. We're going to take a 4th at 8th overall and youre going to pretend THAT isnt a luxury pick. The team wasnt 6-10 because the d line sucked after they got snacks lol. Not going to get into an argument about Stafford, unlike a lot of Lions fans I can realize that you dont have to be bipolar and either really hate or really love him. Theres a middle ground. I also know that Staffords first 10 years had no run game or a defense for most of them but you wont mention that.

Anyone who thinks Matt Stafford is the Lions biggest problem is a complete idiot, you know nothing about football if thats the case. Is he a problem? sure, maybe. But the Lions biggest problem the last decade.. LOL good one, you might've jut found yourself as the first peron on my ignore list

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Ya Deshawn Hand didnt have a great rookie year, Ashawn Robinson complete bum to play as a rotational guy. Thats 3 quality D tackles, one of which is one of hte better in the league. We're going to take a 4th at 8th overall and youre going to pretend THAT isnt a luxury pick. The team wasnt 6-10 because the d line sucked after they got snacks lol. Not going to get into an argument about Stafford, unlike a lot of Lions fans I can realize that you dont have to be bipolar and either really hate or really love him. Theres a middle ground. I also know that Staffords first 10 years had no run game or a defense for most of them but you wont mention that.

Anyone who thinks Matt Stafford is the Lions biggest problem is a complete idiot, you know nothing about football if thats the case. Is he a problem? sure, maybe. But the Lions biggest problem the last decade.. LOL good one, you might've jut found yourself as the first peron on my ignore list
You can NEVER have enough DT's... I hope Oliver ends up being like Donald! And btw...What is Stafford's record against winning teams? And I could care less if you put me on ignore buddy. That's usually what people do when they LOSE arguments. Name calling ,insults and ignore list :laugh:

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
lions, bills, bengals and broncos finished with the same record. the team that drafts highest in the 1st round (lions) between those teams, will draft the lowest between those teams the next round. and so on for the following rounds. bills will draft lower in rd 3 and so on.
Thanks didn't know this.More reasons why winning that last game was completely Pejorative Slured!!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Don’t waste your time, he is the biggest troll on this board. Hoping for a Corner in the 2nd, still some very talented players on the board.

Im at work but following along.. first 2 picks of the second are corners, hoping there isnt a big run before the lions pick

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Lions again go off the board and "outsmart" all the experts...
Lol this guy has injury concerns and a criminal record already too. #SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad