Michel Therrien II

RealityandHabs

Jul 7, 2012
Had no expectations for this team when the season began, qualifying for playoffs was over any estimation this team could have dreamed of in my opinion. First round KO irrelevant of our standings in the final season is FAR more than what I imagined for this team. Far from a finished product I still believe and Bergevin still needs to find a game changing FWD, D depth needs to be coached right but is over the top & G is fine.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I didnt comment on why the Sens lost those series, just on the feel of the coaching battle.

I think both coaches just used the pieces they had. In this series it is obvious we are being outcoached, but your example was just of one team being better. When I think outcoaching I think Jacques Martin over Bylsma in 2010, Dave Tippett over Joel Quenneville last season and what I consider one of the most one sided coaching debacles in history, Larry Robinson over Pat Quinn in 2000.

Habblues

Dec 19, 2008
Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Come on, we can`t bad mouth MT......Prust must have told him he was good to go and he wasn`t......NOW, why he benched one of the best players on the ice for the last 10 min ? I really do not know. I would have benched PK. He sucked the last period ! Played way too nervous.......MT got screwed by the refs plain and simple......DID PETE ROSE MOVE TO OTTAWA ? LOL....Rigged !!!!!! Rigged !!!!!! Last two plays were NOT icing.....

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Goaltending was part of it but the senators as a whole had too many soft perimeter players against the leafs. Therrien does remind me of Martin in the sense that's he too stubborn to change it up in the playoffs when things aren't working. You guys should be crashing and banging the Ottawa players like you did in game 2 and not this soft junk that's going on. I feel like this series should be 2-2 but your coach is a big reason it's 3-1 the other way.

It just feels like Price is playing like Lalime did vs the leafs in those playoff series and your team is playing like those sens teams that couldn't get over the hump vs them. Of course the series isn't over and your team could still come back to win it. I'm sure a lot of you guys were ready to throw in the towel when the caps went up 3-1 3 years ago and we all know what happened. Ottawa's offense is capable of vanishing for 3 straight games like Washington's did granted Halak was a big reason why.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
Guys guys this is all MT fault. We went from 15th to 2nd place in the EC but that's not worth ****. I hate this coach :sarcasm:

People on this board never seem to stop to amazed me..:help::shakehead

hopkinsj31

Oct 20, 2006
Newfoundland
I thought he did a great job with the team in the regular season. But what happened to his "No Excuses" motto once the playoffs started?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Therrien is responsible for running a few players into the ground in the regular season when he could have given them a break. Guys like Ryder, Pacioretty, and Markov could all have used a few games off.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
MT has done a great job turning the team around, but when the going gets tough he just starts whining. I don't get it. You don't like something stand up and say it, do something about it. Stop whining about it. It is an attitude that will trickle down to the players, and that is a bad thing for Habs fans.

I don't have the answers, but I know what he is doing is not best for the team, that much is clear.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Not really a huge fan of him. If his press conferences are any indication of his approach, his shtick will only work for so long. Eventually, the team will clue him out, like they did in Pittsburgh.

If the team sucks next year, he's gone by January.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Therrien is responsible for running a few players into the ground in the regular season when he could have given them a break. Guys like Ryder, Pacioretty, and Markov could all have used a few games off.

And it was a big mistake not playing Price for the last game of the season. To me that was such a no-brainer.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011

A few games off in a 48 game season? I know it was an accelerated schedule but cmon. These are pros who are used to playing 82 games a year + playoffs.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
A few games off in a 48 game season? I know it was an accelerated schedule but cmon. These are pros who are used to playing 82 games a year + playoffs.

Does being a pro somehow give a member of the species of Homo sapiens accelerated healing powers? Rest in this scenario is not to give a "healthy" person a free day off. IT IS TO REST injuries that might ail performance.

Ryder has a lower back injury, Pacioretty got surgery and took a skate blade from Timonen, and Markov might still be fighting through that rib injury. Don't tell me that rest would not have let the "interference" from these injuries be less powerful; that would go against medicinal knowledge itself.

And you'd be surprised to learn that in the 82 game season, players half-ass it during games to pace themselves throughout the season. Going full-go from day 1 to day whatever at 100% would burn out any player.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
You don't like something stand up and say it, do something about it. Stop whining about it. It is an attitude that will trickle down to the players, and that is a bad thing for Habs fans.

Exactly. Paul Maclean may have made a total ********* move the other night, but to whine about it is worse. Therrien is not protecting the players here. He has done this more than once. This isn't strategic. This is real whining.

This guy represents the team. He is the leader, and as such he should set an example for his players. And what he is teaching them is that our problems are other people's faults. You lose, you own it.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Guys guys this is all MT fault. We went from 15th to 2nd place in the EC but that's not worth ****. I hate this coach :sarcasm:

People on this board never seem to stop to amazed me..:help::shakehead

I wonder how this team would have finished in a 82 game schedule, considered how we stumbled into the playoffs? Easy to say how great of a season we had in a collapsed format, but there's a good chance we could have slid to 8th or 9th by the looks of things.

Stef*

Habs need a someone who won the cup as a coach
Carbonneau, damphousse, hartley
Someone who can bring the best out of players in the playoffs
And maybe copy NY rangers from last year = block every ****ing shots in front of the goaler

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
What system? Seriously, someone give me some details into that.

ARe you serious?

The three-men forecheck we've had all season that prevented teams to get our for their zone? Did you watch last game? That's what we did for 2 periods.

How about the support of the D to create pressure?

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Habs need a someone who won the cup as a coach
Carbonneau, damphousse, hartley
Someone who can bring the best out of players in the playoffs
And maybe copy NY rangers from last year = block every ****ing shots in front of the goaler

Yeah let's bring the communication master back...

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
ARe you serious?

The three-men forecheck we've had all season that prevented teams to get our for their zone? Did you watch last game? That's what we did for 2 periods.

How about the support of the D to create pressure?

so extra forchecking and having Markov, Subban and Diaz is the system ?
Am not sold on this "all season" talk given that TOR was 1st last year and dropped out of PO's. i'm sure they had a "great working system" when they were doing good.

We did good mostly because we didn't have to rely on 1 scoring line like last season because of the surprising performance of the G rookies. The only "good" i see in therrien might be that he MIGHT of had some influence on the G's, with his oh so famous "motivational skills"

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not really a huge fan of him. If his press conferences are any indication of his approach, his shtick will only work for so long. Eventually, the team will clue him out, like they did in Pittsburgh.

If the team sucks next year, he's gone by January.

I highly doubt it. I think Bergevin has a long-term build in mind and him and Therrien wanted to take it slow this year, playing more kids and so forth. I even think they doubted they would even make the playoffs(even if MB was wishing it). When Therrien was hired I felt it would be a good three-year just to put things together for the whole management and they did not even have the pressure to be a good team right away. It would be a year of learning. But lo and behold unexpected success came in taking everyone by surprise. And fans started to think we were contenders. Expectations did not result in what they wished it would be and they go nuts. Let's pull back and think: the Habs did a lot more with this line-up that they should have. If the success would not have been there(say the Habs finished 12th in the East), I think the feeling would have been: "It's OK, we have a lot of work to do". And fans would have understood that. But now that they reached unbelievable heights but end up being revealed as average, Therrien is a bum. Therrien is victim of his own success.

Remember, all MB gave Therrien was Prust. And they played the kids. That's it. That's mainly the difference this team had with the 15th Martin/Cunneyworth team.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I highly doubt it. I think Bergevin has a long-term build in mind and him and Therrien wanted to take it slow this year, playing more kids and so forth. I even think they doubted they would even make the playoffs(even if MB was wishing it). When Therrien was hired I felt it would be a good three-year just to put things together for the whole management and they did not even have the pressure to be a good team right away. It would be a year of learning. But lo and behold unexpected success came in taking everyone by surprise. And fans started to think we were contenders. Expectations did not result in what they wished it would be and they go nuts. Let's pull back and think: the Habs did a lot more with this line-up that they should have. If the success would not have been there(say the Habs finished 12th in the East), I think the feeling would have been: "It's OK, we have a lot of work to do". And fans would have understood that. But now that they reached unbelievable heights but end up being revealed as average, Therrien is a bum. Therrien is victim of his own success.

Remember, all MB gave Therrien was Prust. And they played the kids. That's it. That's mainly the difference this team had with the 15th Martin/Cunneyworth team.

A lot can change, very quickly. It all depends on the record. If we have injuries and have not addressed some of the needs, Therriens emotional motivation will only take the team so far.

If anything, making the playoffs this year created a precedent that they cant regress on.

Suppose we are out of the playoff picture mid-season... You dont see it as a possibility that he gets the boot? I do.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
so extra forchecking and having Markov, Subban and Diaz is the system ?

Nothing to do with individual players, all the Ds played that way. It was a team concept, forecheck like mad and the D squad helping in too.

Am not sold on this "all season" talk given that TOR was 1st last year and dropped out of PO's. i'm sure they had a "great working system" when they were doing good.

I would say the system was implemented like a well-oiled machine after the beating in Toronto. Before that we were winning cause of a few players. And Diaz was out for most of that run, also.

We did good mostly because we didn't have to rely on 1 scoring line like last season because of the surprising performance of the G rookies. The only "good" i see in therrien might be that he MIGHT of had some influence on the G's, with his oh so famous "motivational skills"

The rookies helped, that line with Prust, Chucky and Gally rocked but we played a complete different system. I really doubt you watched the games if you did not see that. I had never seen the Habs play that way and having such an agressive offensive philosophy before. It was amazing. I mean a great wave of sustaining pressure none-stop.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL

fully agree with you on all counts. I don't want to blame MT on the failures we are seeing at the end of the season/PO's, just like i don't want to give credit to MT for being responsible for the success of a 40 game stint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad