Michel Therrien II

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
No worries. I am used to that in Montreal.

Things will ALWAYS be better a couple of years from now. Not this season and not next season, but we will be ready in two years.

It will never get better... the habs are handicapped because the primary concern is having a 'marketable' product. This leads to not hiring the best available talent for the job, which inevitably leads to an inferior on ice product compared to other markets.

That is the tragedy of being a modern day hab fan.:shakehead

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
No worries. I am used to that in Montreal.

Things will ALWAYS be better a couple of years from now. Not this season and not next season, but we will be ready in two years.

Oh, I did not even say that. I do not know where we will be in two years. We may bottom out again. No one knows. But if you wonder why I put up with it, why I am not firing the coach or bringing in the players you would like.....well it's because I am not the GM. That is reality. There are 30 teams in the league. And I can't control any one of them.

I just do not think it is likely that the Habs will fire yet another coach this early. I am not even defending Therrien, nor am I slamming him. Right now the team is seemingly on target. I do not know if it is. But as long as there is improvement over last year, it will not happen.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Desharnais 17:00
Galchenyuk 10:00

Just for that he should be fired.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Oh, I did not even say that. I do not know where we will be in two years. We may bottom out again. No one knows. But if you wonder why I put up with it, why I am not firing the coach or bringing in the players you would like.....well it's because I am not the GM. That is reality. There are 30 teams in the league. And I can't control any one of them.

My apologies to you if I offended you.

I have been a Habs fan for a long time. I have seen several Cups won by my Habs.

And then I have lived through the 20 year drought with incompetent management and incompetent coaches.

There are always people who come out and say that things are looking up as we see differently. And the prevailing theme for those two decades is that "We should be great in two years because........(fill in whatever)"

I guess I am jaded with what the Habs management is feeding me.

Again, my apologies if I offended you.

TYLENOL

Dec 29, 2012
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
After half a season, hab fans already want to fire the coach, only in Montreal this happens. Why would you want to fire Therrien when the next coach is going to get just as much **** as the last. In the end, the habs need to get bigger and stronger. Therrien did great this year. He implemented a system that worked for a team that finished last place the year before and created a hope for many of us hab fans.

A coach that sits on a lead........especially in the playoffs........is a coach who thinks with a loser mentality.

Therrien was playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

No thanks.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Guys come on... At least give him a full season before calling for his head. :help:

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal

Therrien was fired with Crosby, Malkin and Letang on his team. He is a flawed head coach... has a good system but his pee wee mentality and decision making will always make him a loser at the NHL level.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

OBVIOUSLY, I don't want him fired. Just being consequent here. Amongst the small and weak list we had at the beginning of the year, Therrien was #5 on my list. So he wasn't a favorite of mine....surprise me this year but then in these playoffs he made me remind why I didn't like him in the first place. I OBVIOUSLY know we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years until he either becomes better....or keeps doing what he does till he alienates his players once again. First year is often the new coach's best year. Then they get tired of him. So if he's really not a great motivator, if he's not that great of tactician, you KNOW that he's out. And I will believe that's what going to happen.

Thing is, we need to groom a Q coach right now. 'Cause the list amongst francos is think. Boucher will probably have a job in the next 2 years. Vigneault will relocate somewhere else. If Bruins fall this year AND next year, Julien is next....but they will all be gone before we make a move. Which means that our new coach will come from a young guy.....And the only guy I see is Houle in Blainville. But we need to fire Lefebvre though....It's all about thinking in advance. We did that when we drafted Price even if we had Theodore....well we do have to that for coaches as well.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
What system? Any one care to elaborate on that. I'm actually curious, because I see nothing special on 5 on 5. Our PP is feed sub an, and our PK is IMO the worse ive seen in years. Opinion based purely on observation.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
OBVIOUSLY, I don't want him fired. Just being consequent here. Amongst the small and weak list we had at the beginning of the year, Therrien was #5 on my list. So he wasn't a favorite of mine....surprise me this year but then in these playoffs he made me remind why I didn't like him in the first place. I OBVIOUSLY know we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years until he either becomes better....or keeps doing what he does till he alienates his players once again. First year is often the new coach's best year. Then they get tired of him. So if he's really not a great motivator, if he's not that great of tactician, you KNOW that he's out. And I will believe that's what going to happen.

Thing is, we need to groom a Q coach right now. 'Cause the list amongst francos is think. Boucher will probably have a job in the next 2 years. Vigneault will relocate somewhere else. If Bruins fall this year AND next year, Julien is next....but they will all be gone before we make a move. Which means that our new coach will come from a young guy.....And the only guy I see is Houle in Blainville. But we need to fire Lefebvre though....It's all about thinking in advance. We did that when we drafted Price even if we had Theodore....well we do have to that for coaches as well.

Great post. But there is one obvious flaw to your strategy.. a limited pool for your choice of coach will greatly lower your chances of getting a top notch talent. Thus is the Habs dilemma and the Habs curse.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't understand what the **** he was doing taking his foot off the gas in the third and benching Galchenyuk while continuing to put out players who were just coasting and turning the puck over. It doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
My apologies to you if I offended you.

I am not offended. I am just pointing out what I think is the reality of the situation. It is highly unlikely that he gets canned that quickly. It will take something like a bad stretch next year.

It's been 20 years since 1993. I know this organization has really gone downhill since then. I understand that basically what you are saying is you don't want to be a Leafs fan, being complacent for over 40 years always believing that maybe next year things will be better. All I am saying is, for all the control we have over things, that is really all you can do, is what they do. Hope next year is better. Because we dont run things.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Great post. But there is one obvious flaw to your strategy.. a limited pool for your choice of coach will greatly lower your chances of getting a top notch talent. Thus is the Habs dilemma and the Habs curse.

Sorry, but it will ALWAYS be how it works. Even if I'M a Q biased, I would take a guy like Lindy Ruff tomorrow morning. I would. But this is not what works here as you saw with Cunneyworth. It won't cut it. So since we can't blame the sun for rising, as we can't change that, we won't change that mentality as well. It won't happen.

TYLENOL

Dec 29, 2012
A coach that sits on a lead........especially in the playoffs........is a coach who thinks with a loser mentality.

Therrien was playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

No thanks.

Why are you smarter than the coach??? Its easy to say "oh therrien sucks because he played Ryder over Gallagher or even Moen over Galchenyuk" , but i respect his decision, hes smarter than both of us and almost every coach in the league will put his experienced players on the ice to play safe. Like you said, its the playoffs, so why would you want to put pressure by putting inexperienced players and create mistakes for a hungry ottawa team to take advantage of.Your argument can go either way and its easy to say you were right and that MT is an incompetent loser when the games over. And now that they lost, you just happen to think your some genius.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What kind of respect do you get from your players when you are the one who started this "No excuses" motto and yet keeps bringing the excuses every single ****ing day....

No excuses Therrien. You ****ing play the kids that gave you a 2-0 and maybe we get to 3-0 instead of protecting a lead for 30 ****ing minutes...

Yup.....he might be a good motivator but I think that's where it ends. There are glaring weakenesses in his coaching approach. Bring on Patrick Roy. Anyone else heard his coaching philosophies and think he would be a better choice?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Your phrase "half a season" is the key here. This season only was half a season, and the wheels still came off this Canadiens team around game #40. How many games have we won since then, like three? Did Therrien really do so great, or did his system have a half-season shelf life that has now expired?

I dunno. It's hard to get all that excited about it any more. I'm just numb to the inevitable elimination coming our way. Yet another year where the Canadiens go out with a whimper rather than a bang, and we try to console ourselves with "Hey we made strides this year" and "This wasn't our year, it'll be (+X) years from now." After twenty years of futility I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever find that elusive "Our year" again :cry:

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Sorry, but it will ALWAYS be how it works. Even if I'M a Q biased, I would take a guy like Lindy Ruff tomorrow morning. I would. But this is not what works here as you saw with Cunneyworth. It won't cut it. So since we can't blame the sun for rising, as we can't change that, we won't change that mentality as well. It won't happen.

Didn't say it will happen. In the end it's no longer about winning the Stanley Cup, it's about the $$.... just like it is for the Maple Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad