Michel Therrien II

Habblues

Dec 19, 2008
Sec 9 Fredericton NB
I just can`t find the words for how impressed I am with MT. Once again, he is a changed man since spending time here in Fredericton NB with the baby habs and his previous stint in Montreal. I keep waiting for him to freak out behind the bench. I`m freaking out at home over the bad calls and he`s just as calm as can be. His calmness has really filtered through the entire team. They know their coach has confidence in them and it shows.
I was SO impressed with MT putting White out there to save the game last night, and he didn`t let his coach down. Gotta love a heart and soul guy like White.

** I am waiting for MT to give Galchenyuk some power play time though. I`m a little shocked it hasn`t happened yet. He has such sweet hands and a killer instinct for the net.......

GREAT JOB SO FAR MT !!!!

Last edited:

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
MT looks like that old wise geezer who always a solution to everything. A father figure.

What did Reagan said? "Speak softly but carry a big stick". This is what I think of when I see MT.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
So far so good. He seems to be a perfect mix of player's coach and being able to get his message across. Really really like him so far.

MT looks like that old wise geezer who always a solution to everything. A father figure.

What did Reagan said? "Speak softly but carry a big stick". This is what I think of when I see MT.

You mean like Gandalf?

PricePkPatch*

What did Reagan said? "Speak softly but carry a big stick".
This is what I think of when I see MT.

That's Truman... Or Roosevelt? I think it's Truman

Anyway. Therrien is clearly doing the job so far. I believe his great success stems out of 2 things he has been stellar at:

1- Convincing everybody to buy into the team concept; both in spirit and execution. White's recent success is a great example; but also convincing Prust to join us as well as turning Bourque around.

2- Energy management, both long and short term. Therrien hasn't shortened his bench a single time this year. He is very, very careful not to overplay any line, any player. He wants his team to remain healthy and competitive the whole season; which is why he rolls a balanced 3-pairings as well as a very, very used 4th line.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I like a lot of what Therrien has done. The two issues I have:

- Plekanec has been great, leaning on him is understandable... but 20+ min/g for a key player with stamina issues is too much.

- Bouillon-Subban. PK is too good to have his ES minutes tied to the Cube.

PricePkPatch*

- Plekanec has been great, leaning on him is understandable... but 20+ min/g for a key player with stamina issues is too much.

Like I said, I believe the Cubban pairing is meant to have 3 balanced and effective pairings that can be given top minutes at alternate games. It's a matter of energy management.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Everything's fine because the team is winning. But some of Therrien's moves would have been more severly scrutinized if it wouldn't have turn out so well.

Personnaly, I always liked his moves, even the first time around. It's sometimes risky, but always pertinent.

I remember when Therrien got slamed because he used Lindsay instead of Perrault for an important faceoff against Carolina in the Playoffs. Everybody wanted to crucified him because Perrault was the best at faceoffs in the league. It turned out Lindsay lost the faceoffs, Caroline scored and later eliminate the Habs.

Well, I agreed with Therrien's move at the time, even if it turned out wrong. Sure Perrault was the best, but even the best lose many faceoffs. And Lindsay wasn't bad at all. The point is, when Perrault lose a faceoffs, he becomes useless as he was horrible defensively. While Lindsay rarely lost a faceoffs "frankly" and was the tipe of player willing to throw himself in front of the shoorter is he was to lose one.

It was a good decision that turned bad. People should remember that when things won't go so well later this season.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

To me, PK doesn't show the stamina right now to play more. Maybe in 7-10 games.

Habblues

Dec 19, 2008
Sec 9 Fredericton NB
That's Truman... Or Roosevelt? I think it's Truman

Anyway. Therrien is clearly doing the job so far. I believe his great success stems out of 2 things he has been stellar at:

1- Convincing everybody to buy into the team concept; both in spirit and execution. White's recent success is a great example; but also convincing Prust to join us as well as turning Bourque around.

2- Energy management, both long and short term. Therrien hasn't shortened his bench a single time this year. He is very, very careful not to overplay any line, any player. He wants his team to remain healthy and competitive the whole season; which is why he rolls a balanced 3-pairings as well as a very, very used 4th line.
Agreed, Bourque is finally the player who was a total pain in our side when he played for the Flames. actually he`s playing the best hockey of his career. NOt sure why MT had him taking a shootout when we have so many other talented guys for that but well done MT.......Now if he can convince the team to stop giving up the puck so often....lol

Habtchum*

Bergevin wanted to hire Crawford, you know.

By the way, Lindy Ruff just got been fired !!!!

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Bergevin wanted to hire Crawford, you know.

By the way, Lindy Ruff just got been fired !!!!

About Crawford, do you have a link? I remember Crawford being a candidate, not being THE candidate.

Ruff... I think many GMs will salivate. I wouldn't be surprise if Washington try it as soon as...right now.

Habtchum*

About Crawford, do you have a link? I remember Crawford being a candidate, not being THE candidate.

Ruff... I think many GMs will salivate. I wouldn't be surprise if Washington try it as soon as...right now.

I don't have a link, but I heard it recently. Bergevin 1st choice was Crawford (was coached by him, I think and know him since very long) until he met Therrien and talk to him about his plans for the team.

Ruff will find a job very quickly. And Wahsington is indeed a very likely destination.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
(...)

I am the first to pout when I see Subban’s limited ice-time but good point; I was not looking at it that way. In such a dense schedule, it is the right way indeed.

Habtchum*

Only 15 posts so far.

Most people on this board always hated him and it's now very hard to give him any credit. they just remember the yellow jacket and the Lindsays face off.

A guy can learn and improve with time. That is just plain and simple human being growth and experience gaining.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Only 15 posts so far.

Most people on this board always hated him and it's now very hard to give him any credit. they just remember the yellow jacket and the Lindsays face off.

A guy can learn and improve with time. That is just plain and simple human being growth and experience gaining.
It's good the habs can finally get some return from all the chances given to french-speaking coaches over the years. The first time we saw him, MT was a rookie. He's clearly not anymore.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Only 15 posts so far.

Couldn't agree more and lets not forget he was coaching some not so talented Montreal teams and he was pretty young when he was first given the coaching job. I think he was 37-38 somewhere around that

Habtchum*

It's good the habs can finally get some return from all the chances given to french-speaking coaches over the years. The first time we saw him, MT was a rookie. He's clearly not anymore.

Next one will be Vigneault, then Julien,then carbonneau, then Martin (when he's gonna be 80 yo.)... :sarcasm: We don't want to go back to Tremblay for sure...

Habblues

Dec 19, 2008
Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Only 15 posts so far.

Nope, this is a continuation thread. My last thread was getting too many pages and hard to keep track of.....Very positive from most people, so NO he is not hated.....:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad