Michel Therrien II

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
The same coach that said you needed a 3 goal difference to win a game, sat on a 2-0 lead and benched the player who scored the last hab goal. I'm really confused right now

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Why are you smarter than the coach??? Its easy to say "oh therrien sucks because he played Ryder over Gallagher or even Moen over Galchenyuk" , but i respect his decision, hes smarter than both of us and almost every coach in the league will put his experienced players on the ice to play safe. Like you said, its the playoffs, so why would you want to put pressure by putting inexperienced players and create mistakes for a hungry ottawa team to take advantage of.Your argument can go either way and its easy to say you were right and that MT is an incompetent loser when the games over. And now that they lost, you just happen to think your some genius.

Did you not learn from the travesty of Jacques Martin while he was here?

We saw over two years of the Habs getting a lead and then sitting on that lead and then losing the game.

That does not make me smarter than Therrien. That makes me more observant than Therrien.

If Therrien thinks that Galchenyuk is that fragile, then send him to the press box. But hell, the kid competed tonight and scored a goal. For that, he got the bench..............just like the ****ing idiot Martin did with a lot of his players.

In any sport, hockey, basketball, baseball, football, soccer, golf.......if you get away from what got you the lead and go on the defensive to try to preserve the lead, then you are simply playing to not lose. Even poor old Bob Cole noticed what the Habs were doing and Gary Galley said that it was not a good strategy.

And what happened?

Losers mentality. Twenty years of this **** and it does not appear to be changing any time soon.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I'm a sens fan, so take this with a grain of salt:

I don't think it's too early to think that MT might not be a good fit for this team. I think the Habs have a lot of good, passionate hockey players, but unfortunately MT acts in a way that encourages them to lose their composure.

He should be calming his players down and refocusing them on the game, and reminding them what they need to do to win. Instead he's thrown tantrums behind the bench and name-called in front of microphones. He's only frustrating his own players by convincing them that their problems are solely due to things they can't control.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
He's a motivational coach. I think in that aspect, he's done extremely well. I think Gallant has a big control on our offense and Daigneault on our D and Therrien only comes in when he doesn't like what he's seeing.

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico

I don't think it's too early to think that MT might not be a good fit for this team. I think the Habs have a lot of good, passionate hockey players, but unfortunately MT acts in a way that encourages them to lose their composure.

He should be calming his players down and refocusing them on the game, and reminding them what they need to do to win. Instead he's thrown tantrums behind the bench and name-called in front of microphones. He's only frustrating his own players by convincing them that their problems are solely due to things they can't control.

I agree with all of this. And the things you mention are all things that he was excelling at for the first few months of the season.

I'm not sure if it was the struggle of the team going in, the Eller injury or simply just being in the playoffs. But a lot of his composure has gone out the window and he seems a lot closer to the Therrien of old than the Jack Adams candidate we saw for much of the year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good stuff, I was right about Therrien and Gorges, they both are terrible.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I don't blame Therrien at all and I do think we were pushing the pace. We don't know the exact details about chucky, so don't be so quick to judge. At 2-1 we actually played well until that total fail from the refs (well, second fail - the icings). Would have been nice for ryder or bourque to get the EN, but they were working hard. We had a lot of banged up guys and who were tired. We did everything that should have won us the game.

We got jobbed.

Still think Therrien is a good coach and FWIW DD had a much much better game. I was happy with him. He won key faceoffs and made some good plays both offensively and defensively. First time in like 3 weeks I've felt that way.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012

I agree wholeheartdly with you. I wish other Habs fans see the light.

Your Sens kept their composure and focused on the games. That's why you are winning and deserve to win. Your coach is brilliant and colourful in a good way. Therrien and Prust are colourful but in a bad way. Your team has a bright future. If the Habs don't win the Cup, then I am rooting for Minnesota, St. Louis, and Washington, in that order, to win the Cup. If they don't, then I am rooting for your team.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I agree wholeheartdly with you. I wish other Habs fans see the light.

Your Sens kept their composure and focused on the games. That's why you are winning and deserve to win. Your coach is brilliant and colourful in a good way. Therrien and Prust are colourful but in a bad way. Your team has a bright future. If the Habs don't win the Cup, then I am rooting for Minnesota, St. Louis, and Washington, in that order, to win the Cup. If they don't, then I am rooting for your team.

Why don't you and your new friend get a room?

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Therrien is garbage... bush league... pee wee stuff.
Not fooled with this 'new Therrien' crap one iota, same old BS ten years later.

Therrien and his bunk buddy Desharnais can go F themselves with this minor league garbage.

Rgolt

Sep 27, 2008
montreal, qc
Im sorry but this is getting kind of ridiculous. I think we could all agree Therrien could be doing a better job these playoffs, but for some people to call for his firing, thats ridiculous.
People seem to forget this is a team that finished last in the conference last season, and were also expected to finish similarly this season. Therrien and Bergevin restored pride and faith to this franchise this year and led them to a 2nd place finish in the conference, only a week ago! and now a couple of losses, and you want him to be fired! are you kidding me....
Therrien is doing the best he can given his players and injuries. Were missing a 3rd line center, a couple top 6 wingers, and a 6th defenseman, and weve outplayed Ottawa 3/4 games, yes the results show otherwise, but people are forgetting how much of a great job Therrien has done

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico
Im sorry but this is getting kind of ridiculous. I think we could all agree Therrien could be doing a better job these playoffs, but for some people to call for his firing, thats ridiculous.
People seem to forget this is a team that finished last in the conference last season, and were also expected to finish similarly this season. Therrien and Bergevin restored pride and faith to this franchise this year and led them to a 2nd place finish in the conference, only a week ago! and now a couple of losses, and you want him to be fired! are you kidding me....
Therrien is doing the best he can given his players and injuries. Were missing a 3rd line center, a couple top 6 wingers, and a 6th defenseman, and weve outplayed Ottawa 3/4 games, yes the results show otherwise, but people are forgetting how much of a great job Therrien has done

I agree with most of this but for me it's not the lack of wins that's troubling. It's the way he's lost composure and chosen to focus on things the team can't control.

He should be the one keeping the team focused on what matters, but he's been the first guy on the crazy train.

Rgolt

Sep 27, 2008
montreal, qc
I agree with most of this but for me it's not the lack of wins that's troubling. It's the way he's lost composure and chosen to focus on things the team can't control.

He should be the one keeping the team focused on what matters, but he's been the first guy on the crazy train.

As I said he hasnt been perfect in the playoffs, but that should certainly not be enough of a reason to be fired, especially after the season the Habs just had

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico
As I said he hasnt been perfect in the playoffs, but that should certainly not be enough of a reason to be fired, especially after the season the Habs just had

I don't think you fire him either, but I'm not sure he has a lot of leeway if things don't start well. If I recall he only signed a 2 year contract right? Means a decision to either extend him or move on isn't all that far off.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

I thought he was going to cry at the presser, after blaming everything in the world but his players and his poor coaching decisions. Imagine playing for him, and seeing your defeated coaches face on TSN every other night, it is a pathetic display of manhood. Mix all these blatant character flaws, with his terrible hair, and its time to go. Management must be disgusted by how he is representing this franchise.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I thought he was going to cry at the presser, after blaming everything in the world but his players and his poor coaching decisions. Imagine playing for him, and seeing your defeated coaches face on TSN every other night, it is a pathetic display of manhood. Mix all these blatant character flaws, with his terrible hair, and its time to go. Management must be disgusted by how he is representing this franchise.

The pink tie with the pink shirt was a nice touch.:sarcasm:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Therrien in PCs has been everything that everyone wanted. He is not taking bait from reporters, not blaming his players, protecting them at every juncture (imagine if he said what we thought!!) and getting us to bounce back.

This game should have been 2-0.

People are overexagerrating the sitting back thing. You have to play smart hockey against the sens and we were getting the puck out and then attacking. Prust and Moen had a terrific shift when Moen dumped alfredsson. Gally got in there again. We got pressure even up until the 58 sec. mark. Then on the next chance we had to cleanly break out of the zone without giving up an odd man rush (you have to admit that our trap WAS working against them), two bs icing calls. I mean, how is that not considered in our breakdown. I disagree that we were in trouble. We had moments when I would have rather that we were dictating the play, but the way the game was going, if we had tried to attack any more than we were (Bourque was doing a great job, so was pleky), that would have cost us a legitimate goal. Only mistake to me was diaz and gorges in the last minute. Should have been PK and Gorges (who did have a good game) + Prust went down at that crucial part and if he could have even moved a bit, no GTG.

We played well enough to win. Got jobbed. Would have liked to see Chucky (and ftr I predicted a goal, that was my only prediction. Well that and having to beat the refs. Right both times.) in the third, but he was to some extent giving up the puck. Not saying I wouldn't have used him, but I can understand the guys we went with. Ryder disappoints me cuz he really should be able to score an EN goal, but looks like an old lady carrying ten ton weights. If it had been Bourque, he would have rushed it. Maybe Chucky too but that's a big risk since he has trouble winning battles sometimes. Overshadowed his first playoff goal which was BTW, EXACTLY the kind of goal I've been complaining that HE doesn't get (cuz his wrister is sick) and that our team doesn't score (shots off wristers). PK's goal combined made me very happy in that dept.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Im not gonna get too in depth here...but I will say one thing I have noticed as a Sens fan....

This series has been so unbelievably reminiscent of the Sens/Leafs series of past, where Quinn got in the heads of Martin and the Sens, and Martin just couldnt adapt on the ice or off of it.....except MacLean is Quinn and Therrien is Martin.

You can dismiss this, or say it doesnt mean much, just giving my opinion on how this whole thing has felt so far. I mean...it could all change next game.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal

Therrien has ruined his good start with the poor season year-end and horrendous playoff. Again... just bush league performance by a head coach in the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Im not gonna get too in depth here...but I will say one thing I have noticed as a Sens fan....

This series has been so unbelievably reminiscent of the Sens/Leafs series of past, where Quinn got in the heads of Martin and the Sens, and Martin just couldnt adapt on the ice or off of it.....except MacLean is Quinn and Therrien is Martin.

You can dismiss this, or say it doesnt mean much, just giving my opinion on how this whole thing has felt so far. I mean...it could all change next game.

The Leafs dominated you guys consistently not because Quinn got into anybody's head but because you always had questionable goaltending and always matched up poorly with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad