Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I'm all about players getting paid but the team should recoup after that nonsense. This is easily Benning's worst signing.
I disagree, how about Myers at 6 million dollars per year? I hate Benning with a passion too, but we did need a player who plays tough, he is just way overpriced for his contribution.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Darren Dreger hinting that if the Canucks fall the to Wild, changes are likely coming in front office. My guess would be some sort of 'super-boss' looking after all hockey ops with Benning reporting to him.

And if it happens, it'll be signings like the one of Michael Ferland that might have finally convinced the owner that change is necessary. I hope the guy retires for the sake of his family and the rest of his life.

Even if Ferland ends up on LTIR or even retires and the Canucks get cap relief, it's still another in a string of gawd awful signings by this GM. Enough is enough.

Reactions: Cupless44

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Darren Dreger hinting that if the Canucks fall the to Wild, changes are likely coming in front office. My guess would be some sort of 'super-boss' looking after all hockey ops with Benning reporting to him.

And if it happens, it'll be signings like the one of Michael Ferland that might have finally convinced the owner that change is necessary. I hope the guy retires for the sake of his family and the rest of his life.

Even if Ferland ends up on LTIR or even retires and the Canucks get cap relief, it's still another in a string of gawd awful signings by this GM. Enough is enough.
He saw what happen during these six years of Benning, what do we got? Two playoff games win? Hopefully that ends the debate of Gillis vs Benning. Losing Judd Brackett to the wild should be the last draw.

Reactions: vanuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If he ever puts a Canucks jersey on again, I hope everyone in the medical staff and front office is fired on the spot and crucified in the public.

Would be absurd to let him play again. Need to do what they did with Malhotra.

I hope Ferland is going to be ok. I can’t sit here and watch someone continually scramble their brain and be fine with it. Both the Canucks and Ferland are at fault here, although I can understand it from both POV’s.

This should be the last straw for both sides. It’s over.

Dtrain88

Sponsor
Oct 19, 2019
When I saw him square off to fight Foligno in game 1, I just thought: "What the hell are you doing, man..." Could just see it coming. The guy's had, what, five? six? concussions now? It's really tragic, and I'm really sick of this team trotting out damaged goods and watching them get more damaged.
I think he was just testing himself.... trying to show he was back in it and could be a force. Feel bad for the guy.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If he ever puts a Canucks jersey on again, I hope everyone in the medical staff and front office is fired on the spot and crucified in the public.

Would be absurd to let him play again. Need to do what they did with Malhotra.

I hope Ferland is going to be ok. I can’t sit here and watch someone continually scramble their brain and be fine with it. Both the Canucks and Ferland are at fault here, although I can understand it from both POV’s.

This should be the last straw for both sides. It’s over.

agreed. bad signing from the getgo. shouldn't have even gave him that contract. maybe a 1 yr prove me deal but the warning signs were there last year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think people realize how unique the Malhotra situation was. You can't just "shut down" a player with the player not agreeing to the shut down when the player has term on his contract. Ferland wanted to play. He was ready to go. He was cleared to play. I'm sure you can find a doctor who would fail him in a physical but Ferland could easily find a doctor who would clear him to play. Ferland can demand a trade, be put on waivers, have the NHLPA file a grievance.

The Canucks could have shut down Ferland for the season but to what end? Besides a few shifts in a Comets game, he basically hasn't played a real game since the end of October. Would a few more months make all the difference in the world? I'm not a doctor but I don't think so.

With that said, I think it's stupid for Ferland to get into a fight with a guy like Foligno. I think Ferland won the fight but Foligno was a guy who could hurt him. I understand what Ferland wants to do but nobody is going to blame him if he doesn't drop the gloves ever again.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
That just shows he's incapable of making decisions that are in his own best interest. take the keys away from him, he's done.
Were you saying the same thing for Sidney Crosby 5 years ago? You have no idea what the right decision for him is or was. It is his life his choice.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dreger says more concussion-related symptoms, gone back home to Manitoba.

Didn't last four periods in his first comeback this season, didn't last one period in the second comeback (in Utica), didn't last seven periods in the third comeback (and the fight probably didn't help). This has to be the end, doesn't it? LTIR and good luck with the rest of his life.

When we heard about his good camp and scrimmages the only thing I could think was good for him and what happens when the intensity actually kicks up in a real game situation? Even a hard scrimmage with teammates is nothing like a true game. The baseline testing is nothing like game.

Sad to see. I hope he can get better.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Such a lack of due diligence. Canucks are bringing in too many players with a bad injury history. And then they give them lengthy contracts. Benning desire to cover his butt in the near term (and btw still having a bottom feeder) has seriously hurt any rebuild that people like Brackett made possible.

That Aquaman can't see this, or may be see it but do nothing about it, seems at the root of the problem

Wherever you go Bad Ownership = Bad teams

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Such a lack of due diligence. Canucks are bringing in too many players with a bad injury history. And then they give them lengthy contracts. Benning desire to cover his butt in the near term (and btw still having a bottom feeder) has seriously hurt any rebuild that people like Brackett made possible.

That Aquaman can't see this, or may be see it but do nothing about it, seems at the root of the problem

I would call it risk assessment. When it comes to players with an injury history that you can ever be optimistic, nor should you be pessimistic. Just need to be realistic.

Some guys after serious concussion concerns have returned to play great like Bergeron and Crosby. But I think it’s irresponsible to always bank on that.

especially when you are bringing in someone you have no history with. It would be more understandable to be optimistic with Willie Mitchell because they had him for 4 seasons and have a track record with him.

Ferland they didn’t. So to hand out the type of term they did was them being overly optimistic about his health.

For Ferland, he has passed all the tests up to playing so hopefully that means his overly health is still good. The last thing he should want is to not pass these tests like Franzen and thus suffer the long term consequences of these symptoms. He can workout, skate, practice, etc.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There's some voodoo to focusing on injury history in acquiring players.

Salo was brought in with a horrid injury history at the price of a promising top 6 forward, and despite continuing to get injured, turned out to be one of the Canucks' greatest home runs in terms of acquisitions.

Ballard and Sutter were brought in with zero injury history, then suddenly fell apart as soon as they hit the ice.

Eriksson came in with a recent injury history, then his play fell off a cliff for seemingly unrelated reasons.

I had no issue with the Ferland acquisition. At the time, most considered his contract to be well worth it, factoring in the injury risk. Nothing about his injury history was suggestive of him being unable to play even half a season after being acquired. His history was of a player who, despite playing a physical game and suffering injuries, was able to play 71+ games every season since he first became a full time player. Injury related decline was a risk, but the expectation was that even with decline he would likely provide value at $3.5M.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Salo was brought in with a horrid injury history at the price of a promising top 6 forward, and despite continuing to get injured, turned out to be one of the Canucks' greatest home runs in terms of acquisitions.

Ballard and Sutter were brought in with zero injury history, then suddenly fell apart as soon as they hit the ice.

Eriksson came in with a recent injury history, then his play fell off a cliff for seemingly unrelated reasons.

I had no issue with the Ferland acquisition. At the time, most considered his contract to be well worth it, factoring in the injury risk. Nothing about his injury history was suggestive of him being unable to play even half a season after being acquired. His history was of a player who, despite playing a physical game and suffering injuries, was able to play 71+ games every season since he first became a full time player. Injury related decline was a risk, but the expectation was that even with decline he would likely provide value at $3.5M.

I don't think people realize how unique the Malhotra situation was. You can't just "shut down" a player with the player not agreeing to the shut down when the player has term on his contract. Ferland wanted to play. He was ready to go. He was cleared to play. I'm sure you can find a doctor who would fail him in a physical but Ferland could easily find a doctor who would clear him to play. Ferland can demand a trade, be put on waivers, have the NHLPA file a grievance.

The Canucks could have shut down Ferland for the season but to what end? Besides a few shifts in a Comets game, he basically hasn't played a real game since the end of October. Would a few more months make all the difference in the world? I'm not a doctor but I don't think so.

With that said, I think it's stupid for Ferland to get into a fight with a guy like Foligno. I think Ferland won the fight but Foligno was a guy who could hurt him. I understand what Ferland wants to do but nobody is going to blame him if he doesn't drop the gloves ever again.
2 great posts that hit the nail on the head.

All the best for Ferland.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Who are you talking about?

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Now will all the obv posters who were hilariously and predictably wrong own up to it, or have to get exposed?

Omg people were wrong on a message board! Please don’t expose us!

I loved the signing at the time. There was an obvious risk with his injury history but if he could stay healthy then the signing was a bargain. It obviously didn’t workout that way which is too bad but Ferland’s contract isn’t Benning’s worse. Eriksson is much worse.

I’m glad Ferland got his contract. Seems lime a good guy and now he’s financially secure. The team can LTIR him and I could care less if Aquilini loses money

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just a reminder, LTIR isn't exactly a magic solution that makes all your problems go away. It comes with a lot of complexities, especially in the offseason and during the first days of the season when you are trying to maximize it's benefit.

Reactions: Peter10

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Just a reminder, LTIR isn't exactly a magic solution that makes all your problems go away. It comes with a lot of complexities, especially in the offseason and during the first days of the season when you are trying to maximize it's benefit.
Yup that’s understood. And if Loui’s 6 million were off the books managing Ferland’s situation would be much easier. Would rather see a guy like Ferland who gives it his all for the tea get paid than a slug like Eriksson who just mails it in and collects 6 million to be the last guy in the ice in practice and the first to leave

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if the canucks are smart they work on the nhl/nhlpa to allow a compliance buyout window to manage the flat cap.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Yes, 100% agreed on this. Desperation from the owner and the GM. Not to mention the opportunity cost of having a MacEwen or Virtanen/other getting better/more minutes.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Were you saying the same thing for Sidney Crosby 5 years ago? You have no idea what the right decision for him is or was. It is his life his choice.
please refresh my memory, was Sidney Crosby participating in staged fights with heavyweights after being previously involved in a separate staged fight which ended in a concussion.....after suffering multiple concussions in previous seasons? or were his simply hockey plays that went bad?

Ferland fighting Foligno shows that he is incapable of making correct decisions and should not be in a position to make them anymore....at least when it comes to participating in an NHL game. Any coach or GM that puts him on the ice again should be liable IMO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's our soft water. Hamhuis plays 59 and 58 games in his last two seasons here then goes to Dallas and plays 79 and 80 games at age 34 and 35. Bieksa had an 81 game season + playoffs at age 35. Even Brad Richardson left here and had an 82 game season and may have had another healthy season until he was Tryamkined.

Ballard was actually damaged goods. He had hip surgery like a month prior to the Canucks acquiring him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't even think Foligno landed a punch in that fight, so I doubt that was the issue. Ferland also finished that game, as well.

But, regardless of what caused it, the guy is done. He's not going to pull a Crosby and take a year off, only to come back and dominate. Sid is one of the five best players of all time, while Ferland is just a journeyman 2nd/3rd line tweener. I think this is the end of the line and, for the sake of his health, it should be.

From watching the fight it looks like Foligno did hit him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
please refresh my memory, was Sidney Crosby participating in staged fights with heavyweights after being previously involved in a separate staged fight which ended in a concussion.....after suffering multiple concussions in previous seasons? or were his simply hockey plays that went bad?

Ferland fighting Foligno shows that he is incapable of making correct decisions and should not be in a position to make them anymore....at least when it comes to participating in an NHL game. Any coach or GM that puts him on the ice again should be liable IMO.
Furley has a contract, and unless medical professionals say he can’t play the Canucks can’t put him on LTIR and have to count his cap. So no it’s not up to a coach or GM to decide if Furley is medically able to play; it’s up to the medical professionals.
I’m think his playing days are over though, he will be eventually put on LTIR, and sent to Robidaus Island, where he will collect the remainder if his salary from an Insurance company, and his cap won’t count against the Canuck’s books once the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad