Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wouldn’t exactly say Gaunce or Dowd are better than Beagle
Myers has been better than any of the defenseman we have let go
You can argue the contractual status all you like and you would be correct but the Canucks are a better team with Beagle, Myers on it
Ferlund on the other hand you can’t quantify....it’s a net loss
Tanev >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Myers. Both contracts end at the same time (and Tanev is the cheaper cap hit).

My opinion.

Reactions: I am toxic and bh53

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Tanev >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Myers. Both contracts end at the same time (and Tanev is the cheaper cap hit).

My opinion.
Weird when I thought of all the defenseman who we no longer have, the Tan Man didn’t enter my thoughts once, super weird, and I’m gonna fully agree with you there however you can make some defendable points if you were to dissect values based on offence and injury proneness as well as blocked shots and leadership

I would personally take Tanev all day myself

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Weird when I thought of all the defenseman who we no longer have, the Tan Man didn’t enter my thoughts once, super weird, and I’m gonna fully agree with you there however you can make some defendable points if you were to dissect values based on offence and injury proneness as well as blocked shots and leadership

I would personally take Tanev all day myself
This isn’t to say Myers is complete trash as unlike NoGoodBranSon, he actually is a NHLer. Just that our D have an issue with actually defending.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
People will argue that Eriksson is the worst signing in team history, and it's hard to argue with that. But at the very least, he's actually been able to lace up the blades and play for the Canucks.

Ferland on the other hand was damaged goods when he arrived, and has played just a handful of games with two more lost seasons before the deal expires.

I realize he's on LTIR and not counting against the cap....and I have no idea if the owner is getting relief from his salary through insurance or some such.

But leaving those two things aside, Ferland will still go down as one of Jimbo's most lackluster UFA signings, relative to his salary and what he's been able to produce. Just another truly awful UFA signing by the Canucks' braintrust, who just didn't do their homework before inking him.

Reactions: Jack Burton

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
To get paid he needs to continue to try and play, unless expert doctors say otherwise. So until the doctors announce he’s done, he can’t - even if he believes he is. After each season his cap goes back on the books. When the new season starts his contract can then be put onto LTIR for cap relief. His contract isn’t insured, so Aquilini is on the hook for the full amount.
Thanks Benning.
Thanks for clarifying that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have no concept how they thought signing him was a good idea.
Signing him is fine if you gave him $4-$4.25 mill per season over 2 years vs. $3.5 mill per season over 4 years. Take the higher cap hit to get less term since the contract was not insurable.

Doing 4 years on an uninsurable player regardless of where your team is at is a massive risk.

I would fully expect that the owner needed to give the ok on this signing. This was done middle of the summer, so not like they were in a rush to get him signed before another team got him. So, there was plenty of time to confirm with the owner on it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Signing him is fine if you gave him $4-$4.25 mill per season over 2 years vs. $3.5 mill per season over 4 years. Take the higher cap hit to get less term since the contract was not insurable.

Doing 4 years on an uninsurable player regardless of where your team is at is a massive risk.

I would fully expect that the owner needed to give the ok on this signing. This was done middle of the summer, so not like they were in a rush to get him signed before another team got him. So, there was plenty of time to confirm with the owner on it.
You're probably right, the owner did sign off on it. But now that the thing has exploded in everyone's face, where's the accountability?

I mean how can the owner possibly be happy that his GM recommended to him signing a player who was clearly damaged goods before he arrived, and will probably spent his entire career on LTIR? Particularly since it was just the latest in a long line of catastrophic UFA signings.

But apparently the owner is happier than a clam with the way his team is being run.....there's a serious disconnect here somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad