Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Ronning On Empty, Jul 15, 2019.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Hit the post I have your gold medal Zippy!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Professional Slacker
    Tanev >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Myers. Both contracts end at the same time (and Tanev is the cheaper cap hit).

My opinion.

I am toxic and bh53 like this.
  2. RebuildinVan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I have no concept how they thought signing him was a good idea.

3. JanBulisPiggyBack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Weird when I thought of all the defenseman who we no longer have, the Tan Man didn’t enter my thoughts once, super weird, and I’m gonna fully agree with you there however you can make some defendable points if you were to dissect values based on offence and injury proneness as well as blocked shots and leadership

I would personally take Tanev all day myself

4. Hit the post I have your gold medal Zippy!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Professional Slacker
    This isn’t to say Myers is complete trash as unlike NoGoodBranSon, he actually is a NHLer. Just that our D have an issue with actually defending.

5. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    People will argue that Eriksson is the worst signing in team history, and it's hard to argue with that. But at the very least, he's actually been able to lace up the blades and play for the Canucks.

Ferland on the other hand was damaged goods when he arrived, and has played just a handful of games with two more lost seasons before the deal expires.

I realize he's on LTIR and not counting against the cap....and I have no idea if the owner is getting relief from his salary through insurance or some such.

But leaving those two things aside, Ferland will still go down as one of Jimbo's most lackluster UFA signings, relative to his salary and what he's been able to produce. Just another truly awful UFA signing by the Canucks' braintrust, who just didn't do their homework before inking him.

Jack Burton likes this.
  6. NuxFan09 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thanks for clarifying that.

7. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Signing him is fine if you gave him $4-$4.25 mill per season over 2 years vs. $3.5 mill per season over 4 years. Take the higher cap hit to get less term since the contract was not insurable.

Doing 4 years on an uninsurable player regardless of where your team is at is a massive risk.

I would fully expect that the owner needed to give the ok on this signing. This was done middle of the summer, so not like they were in a rush to get him signed before another team got him. So, there was plenty of time to confirm with the owner on it.

8. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You're probably right, the owner did sign off on it. But now that the thing has exploded in everyone's face, where's the accountability?

I mean how can the owner possibly be happy that his GM recommended to him signing a player who was clearly damaged goods before he arrived, and will probably spent his entire career on LTIR? Particularly since it was just the latest in a long line of catastrophic UFA signings.

But apparently the owner is happier than a clam with the way his team is being run.....there's a serious disconnect here somewhere.