Confirmed with Link: Michal Neuvirth Signs Two Year Contract Extension ($2.5M AAV)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not horrible at all.

Obviously they're banking on him bouncing back, you don't get a contract based off your last year, you get based on expected performance during that contract and they clearly expect him to be better than this year but not quite as good as last year.

Mason probably wanted too much or too long.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Much higher AAV than I expected.

Really?

This is exactly what I expected when they started saying they were talking to him about a new contract.

Last year he played like a 5m+ goalie, this year like a sub 1m goalie, and next year I expect it to be in the middle performance wise... so 2.5m is right on the dot. Plus, it's only two years, which is good.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Don't mind it. It was a toss up between him and Mason and Mason had his multi yr chance.

If he wanted to stay should have bargained since his services haven't been up to par.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Surprised people are so surprised. it's been clear for over a year that they've wanted Neuvirth to be the guy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not like there are a ton of great options laying around, and he's a target for the draft now.

Since he's returned to his Washington form I'm not thrilled about it, but whatever.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Fine with this. Mason likely wanted more years on his deal, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them more than 2 years. Stolie is protected now.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
After being underpaid last year... It's not like he was making 4m and now is at 5m+...

Paying for past is why we are stuck with garbage contracts. Neuvy is statiscally one of the worst goalies in the NHL, he should be paid like guys like him that signed this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad