Confirmed with Link: Michal Neuvirth Signs Two Year Contract Extension ($2.5M AAV)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
No real problem with this.

Low risk contract, gives someone to expose, most likely he gets ~.910-.915 sv% next season.

Also gives a lot of flexibility going forward.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
"Breaking" Newsflash: Michael Neuvirth dislocates his finger signing a two year contract extension. Will be out indefinitely

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Neuvirth is currently the 32nd highest paid goalie for next year. Once Bishop, Miller, etc... sign, he will be somewhere around #35-40. So he is going to be paid to be a top 10 backup.

Looking at it that way, he can do that like he did last year.

We still need to sign another vet goalie though because MN will get hurt.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
We needed a goalie to expose or we would have to expose Stolarz. Just because LV probably won't take him; doesn't mean that we don't need to expose him.

15 guys you could sign for a 3rd we paid Neuvy to expose.

And when vegas does not take him, we have an expensive back up, who has been horrible that can't be relied on playing more than 25 games.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Was surprised at first, then remembered the ED and wondered why anyone would be surprised. We need a goalie to expose, so there we go. Rather him then Stolarz. We obviously had to re-sign one of Neuvirth or Mason even if just for the ED and, between the two, Neuvirth would be cheaper to re-sign and therefore be a lesser risk. His contract is also small enough to buyout or bury in the minors if necessary.

PEB, meh. Bit annoyed it's a two-year deal, but I have no issue with him as a fourth line winger or 13th forward.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At this moment, Neuvirth is still a .910 for his career with the Flyers, which is also what he is for his career. Despite a poor run this year, I'm confident that he'll level out at that in the long run. I would have still only done 1 year.

But .910 isn't good enough to be a starting goaltender. We'd like Stolarz to be on the team next year but he's .907 in the AHL right now, and Lyon is only .909. They've gotten a lot of help from having a good team in front of them, but it's not safe to assume that you can rely on one or other other next year. Sandstrom also waits in the wings next year.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Vegas ain't paying their back up 2.5 mill per year
Thats the say the I see it as well. They'll come up with a goalie; probably from the Caps, and pass on Neuvy.
The situation between Stolarz and Lyon is the the interesting one. One of them probably will be the back up. At their ages, it's time to put up or shut up if they want a career in the League.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
This will definitely be interesting. If the Flyers gained a little confidence from the shutout last night, and make a strong push for the playoffs, and Mason is the backbone behind that push, I wouldn't be surprised if he earns himself a short term deal.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The only reason to be annoyed by the contract is if you think he will stay a sub .900 goalie in the next two years... otherwise there's no big problem.

Last edited:

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The only reason to be annoyed by this signing is if you think he will stay a sub .900 goalie in the next two years... otherwise there's no big problem.

The big problem is that Mason is the more superior goaltender based on their Philadelphia history.

Hes also the more physically reliable goaltender.

And if you want to say that Neuvy isnt the headcase that Mason is... well, even as a more mentally stable athlete, he still falls short of Mason.

I like Neuvy but i think if any goalie deserved an extension, it was probably the one who is a top goalie in team history

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The big problem is that Mason is the more superior goaltender based on their Philadelphia history.

Hes also the more physically reliable goaltender.

And if you want to say that Neuvy isnt the headcase that Mason is... well, even as a more mentally stable athlete, he still falls short of Mason.

I like Neuvy but i think if any goalie deserved an extension, it was probably the one who is a top goalie in team history

So then the issue you have with it is Neuvirth vs Mason, not the contract.

What I said was specifically directed at the people upset about the $$ and term.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Id feel a lot more comfortable with a Mason/Stolarz tandem next season.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
What are the ideas about what happens with Mase at this point?

Other than couple names that won't come to Philly anyway this years 1st of july UFA crop is absolutely dreadful. I would rather use the cap we will have on Mase.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Id feel a lot more comfortable with a Mason/Stolarz tandem next season.

Me too, but only if Mason was willing to take a comparable contract, which he might not have been.

We'll have to see what happens with him... it's not impossible for them to sign him too.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I understand he is just expansion fodder now, but I wish it were Mason instead. He is the superior goalie, even though both haven't been good this season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe they think Mason would be claimed if signed before the expansion draft and they're confident Neuvirth won't be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad