Confirmed with Link: Michal Neuvirth Signs Two Year Contract Extension ($2.5M AAV)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I end up taking Read in every one I do... simply due to the rule on contracts for next year. Can only take 10 players who are RFA/UFA... and Laughton/Cousins are not as appealing as a bunch of other RFAs relative to the other things on their team.

And Carolina for example they are going to HAVE to burn one of the 10 RFA/UFA slots on... as only Lack of the guys who will be exposed wont be RFA/UFA!

As it stands this is what I would end up with in expansion if I was GM of all 31 teams and trying to do the best thing possible for my team (accounting for some NMCs being bought out, Fleury traded etc):

Bobby Ryan -- Vladislav Namestnikov -- Joel Armia
Benoit Pouliot -- Calle Järnkrok -- Matt Read
Andrej Nestrasil -- William Karlsson -- Dmitri Jaskin
Brendan Gaunce -- Hunter Shinkaruk -- Kerby Rychel

Valeri Nichushkin (worth the risk... the Dallas young D available are ok, but not as nice as other D options elsewhere)
Nicolas Deslauriers (better than drafting anything else from BUF! Just bury him)

Calvin de Haan -- Matt Dumba
Brayden McNabb -- Josh Manson
Brendan Dillon -- Alex Petrovic
Nick Holden -- Brandon Davidson
Jon Merrill -- Ville Pokka
Xavier Oullett -- Derrick Pouliot

Kevin Connauton (the easiest to bury of anything can take from Arizona)

Semyon Varmalov (I'd rather bet on him than Howard... and Oullet is more appealing than anything Colorado have outside of net)
Phillip Grubauer
Malcolm Subban

Ofc things will change before then... but right now that is probably the team I would draft. UFAs make it trickier too as dont know which ones are going to be there!

Then flip ~4-5 of the Dmen for picks and prospects to jump start the pool.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I just hope that Stolarz is worth all of the manipulating to keep him that many of the posters have discussed here. His numbers at LV since he was sent back don't seem to be any better than Lyon's. I don't get to see Phantoms games so maybe there is a difference between them that others see.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I just hope that Stolarz is worth all of the manipulating to keep him that many of the posters have discussed here. His numbers at LV since he was sent back don't seem to be any better than Lyon's. I don't get to see Phantoms games so maybe there is a difference between them that others see.

Tbh it probably is.

Him or Subban would be one of the picks for sure.

Whereas with the RFA/UFA rule I actually think Laughton and Cousins could be pretty safe.

Vegas are not going to not sign some solid NHL UFAs since they get first dibs on them... and even if only sign say ~3 there are more than 7 better options who are RFAs this summer than Laughton or Cousins!

Plus they are going to HAVE to waste an RFA/UFA spot on whatever take from Hurricanes! :laugh: Unless they take Lack... which they are not doing.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To add fodder to our conversation, The Hockey News outlines the very scenario that several are forecasting; i.e., talking extension with Mason to be completed after the ED.

I've thought about this myself post Neuvirth extension. If they really want to protect Stolarz, which is what Hextall has seemed to indicate, then if they signed Mason, they'd have to expose him, just like they are now with Neuvirth. Mason might be seen as a more attractive grab in the ED than Neuvirth, and I don't think his contract will be much bigger tbh. Mason is indisputably a better goaltender, and a starting one too. This organization is hurt more short-term losing Mason than Neuvirth. So maybe they take their chances losing Neuvirth and are playing the game. And I'm sure they could always trade Neuvirth for a 3rd or something with that contract in the off-season if need be.

All that said......sometimes it is best not to overcomplicate. Under Hakstol, there has been a noticeable favoritism displayed towards Neuvirth (when healthy). Maybe they just foolishly prefer Neuvirth.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think maybe they are putting themselves in the best situation to lose what they want to lose. Maybe being optimistic... but it makes some sense.

Stolarz protected.
Mason left as UFA (with similar options in expansion anyway.)
Neuvirth signed to a bigger deal than worth.
Laughton and Cousins left as RFAs.

I mean... when you look at it like that it does make some sense for Vegas to take Read... or maybe Weise. Both have 2017-18 contracts... and Fwd, especially RW, will be weak.

I cannot imagine them taking a Dman even if given sweetener, simply as D is really the strongest pool of players in expansion and they will be able to get ~13 Dmen with value and can flip some of them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, if Vegas don't consider Laughton/Cousins as one of best 10 RFA/UFA assets, and don't sign Mason/MDZ that will leave:

Read, Weise, Bellemare & McDonald.
MacDonald, Brennan & O'Neill.
Neuvirth.

As only options from Flyers.

I think that might be Hextall's plan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't be shocked is Stolarz has seen enough AHL hockey for his liking.

He kind of needs to do better, then. .905/.916/.908 doesn't get you a spot in the NHL. And he's had a much better team in front of him this year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That was a fun exercise, Appleyard. I cam up with:

Cammalleri (NJ) - Karlsson (CLB) - Silfverberg (ANA)
Boedker (SJ) - Jarnkrok (NAS) - Yakupov (STL)
Raffl (PHI) - Sheahan (DET) - Stempniak (CAR)
Pulkkinen (ARZ) - Namestnikov (TB) - Armia (WPG)
de la Rose (MTL) - Eakin (DAL) - Colborne (COL)
Rychel (TOR)
Shinkaruk (CAL)

De Haan (NYI) - Brodin (MIN)
Orlov (WAS) - Forbort (LAK)
Methot (OTT) - Pokka (CHI)
Demers (FLA) - Kulikov (BUF)
Russell (EDM)
Larsen (VAN)

Fleury (PIT; waived NMC; dealt with draft pick)
Raanta (NYR)
Subban (BOS)

I had 10 RFA/UFA contracts on the nose. $18.4 million in cap space.

If Raffl were protected, I would choose Weise. He would fit well with my LW-heavy line-up. ;)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tbh it probably is.

Him or Subban would be one of the picks for sure.

Whereas with the RFA/UFA rule I actually think Laughton and Cousins could be pretty safe.

Vegas are not going to not sign some solid NHL UFAs since they get first dibs on them... and even if only sign say ~3 there are more than 7 better options who are RFAs this summer than Laughton or Cousins!

Plus they are going to HAVE to waste an RFA/UFA spot on whatever take from Hurricanes! :laugh: Unless they take Lack... which they are not doing.

And Stolarz might be a better pick because Subban is not waiver exempt in 17-18.

Even if Lyon is the Phantoms best goalie it's still worth protecting Stolarz. Maybe Lyon is the NHL backup next season? He's 24 and handling a heavy workload well on an AHL team where playing defense is optional for some of the vets.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That was a fun exercise, Appleyard. I cam up with:

Cammalleri (NJ) - Karlsson (CLB) - Silfverberg (ANA)
Boedker (SJ) - Jarnkrok (NAS) - Yakupov (STL)
Raffl (PHI) - Sheahan (DET) - Stempniak (CAR)
Pulkkinen (ARZ) - Namestnikov (TB) - Armia (WPG)
de la Rose (MTL) - Eakin (DAL) - Colborne (COL)
Rychel (TOR)
Shinkaruk (CAL)

De Haan (NYI) - Brodin (MIN)
Orlov (WAS) - Forbort (LAK)
Methot (OTT) - Pokka (CHI)
Demers (FLA) - Kulikov (BUF)
Russell (EDM)
Larsen (VAN)

Fleury (PIT; waived NMC; dealt with draft pick)
Raanta (NYR)
Subban (BOS)

I had 10 RFA/UFA contracts on the nose. $18.4 million in cap space.

If Raffl were protected, I would choose Weise. He would fit well with my LW-heavy line-up. ;)

I would bet my house on Anaheim moving enough dmen to they can protect Silfverberg. He's one of their best players.

I also think LA and Min go 4/4 so they can protect Forbort and Brodin.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would bet my house on Anaheim moving enough dmen to they can protect Silfverberg. He's one of their best players.

I also think LA and Min go 4/4 so they can protect Forbort and Brodin.

I think Anaheim maybe buyout Bieksa and go:

Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Vermette?
Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen/Manson. If they went 4 theyd lose Despres instead of Manson/Vatanen.

I dunno with L.A 7/3 or 4/4 make no difference really.
They are losing 1/2 of Forbort or McNabb whatever.

Minnesota I think maybe bite bullet.
They still have 4 top 4 D if lose Brodin or Dumba though.

I think they buyout Pominville and go 7-3.

Protect:
Parise, Koivu, Staal, Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter and Zucker.
Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin/Dumba.

As if they go 4-4 w/Pommy buyout they likely lose Nino, Coyle or Zucker.
And they have Scandella, Olofsson, Folin and Reilly behind the top 4 now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Forbort is quite a bit ahead of McNabb now, but your argument for Min going 7-3 makes sense.

Despres isn't getting picked. He might not ever play again.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Forbort is quite a bit ahead of McNabb now.

Despres isn't getting picked. He might not ever play again.

Yeh, I mean... in my expansion I did go 4-4 and protect Forbort! Hence the McNabb pick.

Tbh I did not realise how much McNabb had gone backwards this year, they are only a year apart in age and McNabb had been a solid #4 for 2 years before this.

And I suppose... I did go 7-3 as they have 6 fwds Anaheim really have to protect. I mean, the odds are they trade Vatanen. It has been rumoured forever.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think I saw Lebrun say if they can agree in principle with Fowler to an extension to be signed July 1st, they will keep him and move Vatanen before the ED.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Protecting MacNabb would as asinine as protecting Manning. He's just not worth it and about second slowest d on kings after Greene. Minnesota sure won't be exposing Dumba/Brodin. If Chiarelli of all people trades Davidson so he doesn't end up loosing valuable player, then I'm sure Wild will let one of the terrible teams pay handsomely for one of their guys.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I still don't understand why they did this. Can someone explain? It still strikes me as an excessive commitment for expansion coverage. What does it mean about the Flyers plan at Goaltender?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad