Confirmed with Link: Michal Neuvirth Signs Two Year Contract Extension ($2.5M AAV)

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I still don't understand why they did this. Can someone explain? What does it mean about the Flyers plan at Goaltender?

The flyers needed to have a goalie under contract to expose for the expansion draft. They signed neuvirth so they could protect stolarz under the 7 forwards 3 dmen 1 goalie protected. If they did not sign a goalie they would have had to expose stolarz.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Needed to expose a goalie for he ED, and this signing does protect Stolarz.

The flyers needed to have a goalie under contract to expose for the expansion draft. They signed neuvirth so they could protect stolarz under the 7 forwards 3 dmen 1 goalie protected. If they did not sign a goalie they would have had to expose stolarz.

I guess I edited too slow. I think the commitment is excessive for that purpose, I'm sure there would be less costly ways to get that covered. Plus I think it's far from a given that Stolarz would be that far up Vegas' list.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He has a limited NTC. Can be traded to 18 teams of his choosing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Going to play Actually Game a few times here, but they signed Neuvirth because they want him here next year and were willing to play the expansion draft game with him. Not just because they needed someone to expose, that's kind of naive to assume. With that said, I'd probably put Neuvirth among the top 2 or 3 goalies to be selected if they were exposed, which I also don't think is a given.

If Hextall just "needed a goalie" he could've claimed Jeff Zatkoff who was waived by LA as Quick was returning from injury. There were a couple other trades during the season involving goalies signed for next year. It's a minor thing, but it's one that completely eliminates this form of reasoning when it comes to re-signing Neuvirth.

Wait if he has a NTC...dont they have to protect him? If so wouldnt that mean theyd have to expose murray?

No-move, but yes they have to protect him if they don't trade him.

Anyone know how a buyout works in this scenario? Buyout window opens a few days before the protection lists come out, but I don't know if it counts immediately or have to wait until June 30.

Wouldn't mind entertaining this possibility either. If we're just talking about two teams making a deal as opposed to who the two teams are, I think there's a deal to be made there.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Going to play Actually Game a few times here, but they signed Neuvirth because they want him here next year and were willing to play the expansion draft game with him. Not just because they needed someone to expose, that's kind of naive to assume. With that said, I'd probably put Neuvirth among the top 2 or 3 goalies to be selected if they were exposed, which I also don't think is a given.

If Hextall just "needed a goalie" he could've claimed Jeff Zatkoff who was waived by LA as Quick was returning from injury. There were a couple other trades during the season involving goalies signed for next year. It's a minor thing, but it's one that completely eliminates this form of reasoning when it comes to re-signing Neuvirth.

Thanks. That leads more towards the issue I actually wanted to discuss (which is not Expansion Draft-related). What does it mean that they committed $5 million to Neuvirth (not a thrilling prospect, imo)? Does it mean they are banking on the answer at goalie to come from within the organization, or should we consider all options potentially open?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Let me throw this reasoning into the mix... The Goalie that they obtained had to be one that they could live with if not taken by Vegas... Zatkoff and the other possibilities were not viable as the Flyers Backup Goalie -- they more than likely will not be selected in ED -- The Flyers could live with Neuvy if he gets through the Draft... and also, he wouldn't be impossible to trade... Who would trade for Zatkoff when nobody wanted him for free off waivers?

JMO

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Zatkoff and others would have been solely for ED purposes. Both Mason and Neuvirth couldn't be signed and counted as the Vegas player for the ED (only 1), so it isn't like it was a certainty that they would be going into July 1 without a goalie, it was highly unlikely. Further, a lot of goalies are going to move ahead and after the ED, given the options Vegas had.

Bottom line is the timing was odd. If Hextall wanted an extension for Neuvirth, he could have negotiated it months before or at least weeks before.

I wonder if Hextall was trying to work multiple options until the trade deadline with Neuvirth as one and when nothing else worked out he signed him?

There are so many OK goalies on the market that in the shuffling chairs process there would never be a case where the Flyers would be forced to grossly overpay for one July 1 or trade for someone like Halak. I just don't get the fear Hextall expressed when he said he didn't want to go into July 1 without a goalie as the reason for signing Neuvirth.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Let me throw this reasoning into the mix... The Goalie that they obtained had to be one that they could live with if not taken by Vegas... Zatkoff and the other possibilities were not viable as the Flyers Backup Goalie -- they more than likely will not be selected in ED -- The Flyers could live with Neuvy if he gets through the Draft... and also, he wouldn't be impossible to trade... Who would trade for Zatkoff when nobody wanted him for free off waivers?

JMO

Here is the flaw in that thinking though.

Zatkoff would not be in the Flyers next year anyways. The idea would be that he would be traded for, exposed to Vegas, not taken, then be in the AHL next year while Stolarz would get the backup role for the Flyers.

Now, we still have no starter AND have blocked Stolarz and Lyon from being in the NHL unless we trade Neuvirth. If it was a 1 year deal, then it's less of an issue. But in year 2, we HAVE to trade Neuvirth or expose Stolarz to waivers. Or worse yet, we have a Neuvirth/Stolarz pairing.

Zatkoff would have filled the ED spot, then be an AHL backup while Lyon got lots of starts. And most importantly, not blocked anyone.

But hey, all is forgiven if Hextall makes the right moves and we later trade Neuvirth for future assets.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Zatkoff could have been in the ECHL as well.

Hextall has said he is going to get another goalie, so we have to wait and see what we end up with.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think it's that complicated. They needed a goalie on short term contract they could expose, AND they also like Neuvirth as a ~30 game NHL goalie if Vegas don't pick him.

I have Vegas taking Pickard, Raanta and Grubauer in the ED.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think it's that complicated. They needed a goalie on short term contract they could expose, AND they also like Neuvirth as a ~30 game NHL goalie if Vegas don't pick him.

I have Vegas taking Pickard, Raanta and Grubauer in the ED.

Then trading 1 of them?

All 3 belong in the NHL in some capacity.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Neuvirth is a goalie who protects Stolarz but who can also actually play, at least in a backup/complimentary role.

Edit: And it's probably better to have an NHL goalie rather than a minor leaguer who would compete with prospects for time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->