Confirmed with Link: Michal Neuvirth Signs Two Year Contract Extension ($2.5M AAV)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The big problem is that Mason is the more superior goaltender based on their Philadelphia history.

Hes also the more physically reliable goaltender.

And if you want to say that Neuvy isnt the headcase that Mason is... well, even as a more mentally stable athlete, he still falls short of Mason.

I like Neuvy but i think if any goalie deserved an extension, it was probably the one who is a top goalie in team history

I agree. But we dont have any idea and honestly we will never know if Hextall and Mason's agent had discussions and maybe they just priced himself off Hextall's price range. It would be bad advise from an agent if he was looking for a big payday. But if that is indeed the case then the Flyers can move on from Mason.
Mason is the more physically reliable goalie, but I am not convinced he is the more mentally reliable goaltender. bad goals have a tendency to bother Mason.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Vegas takes one of Howard/Fleury, Anti Raanta and a younger goalie for the minors. I don't see Neuvirth being even a consideration for LV.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Vegas takes one of Howard/Fleury, Anti Raanta and a younger goalie for the minors. I don't see Neuvirth being even a consideration for LV.

Those two have NTC/NMCs and need to be protected or am I missing something?
Or do you mean they will trade for one of them in advance...

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Those two have NTC/NMCs and need to be protected or am I missing something?
Or do you mean they will trade for one of them in advance...

HOward doesn't have it as far as I know.
Fleury will waive his, Pittsburgh would go up in flames should Murray be picked in the ED.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Surprising signing, respectively timing, but I am okay with this, hopefully, he will be more healthy and consistent in his performances. And if he's taken in the ED, then nobody really cares. Honestly, I think that Mason is gone after the season, that's very likely. Really curious to see how our goalie tandem will look in the next season.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If they didn't sign Neuvirth or Mason they would have to leave Stolarz unprotected. Las Vegas is going to take the best goalie they can, a solid backup, and a guy with upside that is youngish but experienced. That 3rd one is Stolarz. Hexy doesn't want to lose him. They signed Neuvirth because hes the one they want to expose of the 3. I think he still wants Mason and they are protecting him via Free Agency. Las Vegas cannot "pick" Mason if he's UFA at the end of the season. They have a 3 day window to sign Free Agents before everybody else can but the player has to choose to sign there. You tell Mase "Hey you are our guy in the future, but we want to keep Stolie too, we fully intend to sign you once Free Agency opens up"

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There are two ways of looking at this, I guess.
The first follows Occam's Razor - they signed Neuvy because they see him as the starter next year, and the benefit of the signing is that we can protect Stolie.
The other is this master plan by Hexy to circumvent the expansion draft and sign Mase after the ED - figuring that LV won't take Neuvy, we tread water and head into next season with the same duo as this season, hoping for a rebound x 2.
The latter seems kind of like a conspiracy theory to me, but I guess it's possible.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Would Vegas even take Stolarz? Is he really worth running Mase out of town?

If the point of it is to keep Mason youre not running him out of town?

And I think they value Stolarz. And I think hes the type of prospect Vegas would be looking at. Hes young has excelled in the AHL and already has some NHL experience.

And what's so conspiracy about it? One of these guys was going to get signed before the end of the year. Because if not then you'd have to leave Stolarz unprotected, who is your most NHL ready goalie prospect AND both of your Starter and Backup in the NHL are UFAs to be. So what if they both walked and Vegas claimed Stolarz? That would be an atrocity.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if it isn't Mason, it will be some vet we add. No way do we go in with MN as a #1 then Stolarz/Lyon as #2.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If they didn't sign Neuvirth or Mason they would have to leave Stolarz unprotected. Las Vegas is going to take the best goalie they can, a solid backup, and a guy with upside that is youngish but experienced. That 3rd one is Stolarz. Hexy doesn't want to lose him. They signed Neuvirth because hes the one they want to expose of the 3. I think he still wants Mason and they are protecting him via Free Agency. Las Vegas cannot "pick" Mason if he's UFA at the end of the season. They have a 3 day window to sign Free Agents before everybody else can but the player has to choose to sign there. You tell Mase "Hey you are our guy in the future, but we want to keep Stolie too, we fully intend to sign you once Free Agency opens up"

As much as I would prefer Mason over Neuvirth, I can't see the Flyers coming out with a win resigning Mason in any scenario. It would be more palatable if LV takes Neuvirth but in either case Mason can reasonably expect to get a raise for resigning. How could Hextall justify giving Neuvirth a raise after this really bad season and then low-ball Mason, who has been more reliable over the longer term? And does anyone want Mason at $5 million (ballpark) for multiple years?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
As much as I would prefer Mason over Neuvirth, I can't see the Flyers coming out with a win resigning Mason in any scenario. It would be more palatable if LV takes Neuvirth but in either case Mason can reasonably expect to get a raise for resigning. How could Hextall justify giving Neuvirth a raise after this really bad season and then low-ball Mason, who has been more reliable over the longer term? And does anyone want Mason at $5 million (ballpark) for multiple years?

If its for 2 years sure. I wouldnt want him signed any longer than that unless its at a discount no

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If the point of it is to keep Mason youre not running him out of town?

And I think they value Stolarz. And I think hes the type of prospect Vegas would be looking at. Hes young has excelled in the AHL and already has some NHL experience.

And what's so conspiracy about it? One of these guys was going to get signed before the end of the year. Because if not then you'd have to leave Stolarz unprotected, who is your most NHL ready goalie prospect AND both of your Starter and Backup in the NHL are UFAs to be. So what if they both walked and Vegas claimed Stolarz? That would be an atrocity.

I don't know if you meant what I said, but what I meant was that it seems like a stretch to think that they are trying to job the expansion draft by signing Neuvy and then signing Mase later. Signing Neuvy makes sense to me for all the reasons we all know of. They might sign Mase later if they can come to agreeable terms (which I don't think is super likely), but I don't think there are definite plans to do that - in other words, I don't think Mase figured into the Neuvy signing at all.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
If its for 2 years sure. I wouldnt want him signed any longer than that unless its at a discount no

Mason @ $5 million makes my teeth hurt. That is a big gamble that this season was just an anomaly. And it would only be contingent on losing Neuvirth in the ED, which is a huge "if".

Yay, we're back to goalie insecurity.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So there's what Murray, Ranta, Darling, Grubauer, Reimer and Howard with strong numbers and we think Mase would be taken if he was resigned? Yet we hope it's Neuvi who gets taken over these names and it's not even because of his performance, but because of some familiarity from the past? I wouldn't hold my breath.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
So there's what Murray, Ranta, Darling, Grubauer, Reimer and Howard with strong numbers and we think Mase would be taken if he was resigned? Yet we hope it's Neuvi who gets taken over these names and it's not even because of his performance, but because of some familiarity from the past? I wouldn't hold my breath.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. The point is to protect Stolarz, who is probably likely to be claimed if left exposed. Look at what we have to offer other than him if he is left exposed, add on top of that that he would be valuable to a brand new franchise for reasons stated above. Add even more to that our own uncertainty going into the future if we did not sign Neuvirth and then subsequently protect Stolarz in the ED. Neuvirth is signed to be exposed in the ED. I doubt he get's claimed but he is there so that we don't have to expose the only Goalie prospect in the system who is anywhere close to being ready. It's up in the air if we can sign Mase or not to a reasonable deal, but you can't afford to lose all 3.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

Grubauer, Darling, and Raanta are all interesting G options for LV. Pittsburgh will undoubtedly do what it takes to not expose Murray. Florida would be foolish to expose Reimer over Luongo. And would you select Howard over Mason?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
There are two ways of looking at this, I guess.
The first follows Occam's Razor - they signed Neuvy because they see him as the starter next year, and the benefit of the signing is that we can protect Stolie.
The other is this master plan by Hexy to circumvent the expansion draft and sign Mase after the ED - figuring that LV won't take Neuvy, we tread water and head into next season with the same duo as this season, hoping for a rebound x 2.
The latter seems kind of like a conspiracy theory to me, but I guess it's possible.

My money is on #1.

Mase would be better but you can't get attached. If he wants too much or long then it won't work.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
You aren't understanding what I'm saying. The point is to protect Stolarz, who is probably likely to be claimed if left exposed. Look at what we have to offer other than him if he is left exposed, add on top of that that he would be valuable to a brand new franchise for reasons stated above. Add even more to that our own uncertainty going into the future if we did not sign Neuvirth and then subsequently protect Stolarz in the ED. Neuvirth is signed to be exposed in the ED. I doubt he get's claimed but he is there so that we don't have to expose the only Goalie prospect in the system who is anywhere close to being ready. It's up in the air if we can sign Mase or not to a reasonable deal, but you can't afford to lose all 3.

Why loose anyone? Protect Stolarz, sign Mase, have LV take more attractive goalie, like Raanta or Darling and bid adieu to Neuvirth.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Does LV have to pick players for an AHL team as well? So say they choose 4 goalies, they'll go into the season with 2, possibly send the other 2 to the AHL or maybe just 1 and cut 1.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I am not following your logic. How do the Flyers lose Neuvirth if Raanta or Darling are selected? Are you saying that Raanta/Darling AND Neuvirth would be taken by LV?

I'm saying why would they pick either Mase or Neuvi even if resigned over other exposed goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad