Confirmed with Link: Michael Rasmussen loaned to Graz 99ers in Austria

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would love to see this starting lineup one day, if only for a day:

Soderblöm - Rasmussen - Mantha - Tuomisto - Seider

They’d absolutely tower over everyone on the ice. Slim chance it ever happens, but it’s one of my pipe dreams.
Replace one of them with Kivenmaki and it's even better!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I would love to see this starting lineup one day, if only for a day:

Soderblöm - Rasmussen - Mantha - Tuomisto - Seider

They’d absolutely tower over everyone on the ice. Slim chance it ever happens, but it’s one of my pipe dreams.

Replace Tuomisto with Owen Power. :thumbu:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You are right in that Helm's first season is comparable age wise to Veleno season this year. At the same time, Helm played in the playoffs for the Wings that year, and I don't see Veleno progressing to the level that he would be allowed to suit up for a playoff game for a Cup contender, much less one coached by Babcock. Helm can't finish, but he was great defensively before his back injuries.

I think by the end of this upcoming season Veleno would absolutely be an upgrade over Mark Hartigan and play over him on a team coached by Babcock come playoff time as a fourth line center. I think watching them play he would be an upgrade over Helm as well in a lot of ways. Helm was good in the playoff because he would just run around out there and hit guys for like 8 mins a game before his injuries and everything. That doesnt really say anything about how he projects as a player though either and long term Veleno looks like hes going to be better than Helm

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think by the end of this upcoming season Veleno would absolutely be an upgrade over Mark Hartigan and play over him on a team coached by Babcock come playoff time as a fourth line center. I think watching them play he would be an upgrade over Helm as well in a lot of ways. Helm was good in the playoff because he would just run around out there and hit guys for like 8 mins a game before his injuries and everything. That doesnt really say anything about how he projects as a player though either and long term Veleno looks like hes going to be better than Helm
Veleno is more skilled than Helm, but can he play like Helm or Glendening time will tell

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Helm was absolutely tenacious, and at the time one of the fastest skaters in the league. I have always liked him as a player for that.

I hope long term that Veleno is an upgrade, but not as a 21 YO comparison. In any case, time will tell.

Better offensively, not as good defensively. That is my expectation.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I hate to hijack Rasmussen's thread for another different player, but Helm was a spark plug when he was young, hit everything that moved and whizzed around. I'll never forget "the Helm shift" against the hawks on the PK, me and my brother were in college watching the game with like 9 Hawks fans - we were juiced!
I think Veleno should have a more impactful role on the Wings when it's all said and done.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ras isn't in the SHL. And his numbers for the league he's in aren't world burning.
Last year in AHL and he was 20 . In 35 game he had 22 points. His production last year not as good as Mantha but better than Bertuzzi same age for Griffin's

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Last year in AHL and he was 20 . In 35 game he had 22 points. His production last year not as good as Mantha but better than Bertuzzi same age for Griffin's

Bert is a different player, not easily comparable. Bert is an energy guy who fits anywhere up/down the lineup.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bert is a different player, not easily comparable. Bert is an energy guy who fits anywhere up/down the lineup.

Thing is though, from what you read about Ras's game, he seems to be doing well in his own end, puts up some points and will be an asset on the PP. So while they are stylistically different, Ras seems to me as a guy who can slide up and down the lineup and work in various roles, especially if he gets stronger than he was as an 18 year old.

I will admit, because he is in a lower league, I was hoping he would lead the league in scoring by a decent bit, as the league he is in is well below the AHL or SHL and similar. That said he is playing in an unfamiliar place, with people who speak a different language, which can make on ice chemistry and communication harder for many.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Bertuzzi reminds me a bit of Nick Foligno in Ottawa and his first few seasons with Columbus. Plays bigger than he is, tenacious, very smart with the puck in the corners, still learning the defensive side of the game but putting in the effort. I think he'll remain in our top 6 for at least another 4-5 years before he becomes that savvy 3rd line vet that cements a 3rd line as one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bertuzzi reminds me a bit of Nick Foligno in Ottawa and his first few seasons with Columbus. Plays bigger than he is, tenacious, very smart with the puck in the corners, still learning the defensive side of the game but putting in the effort. I think he'll remain in our top 6 for at least another 4-5 years before he becomes that savvy 3rd line vet that cements a 3rd line as one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

I could also see him as our "Ondrej Palat", who plays in the most important offensive line and 2nd PP.

There's nothing set in stone, he'll most probably be the 2008-09 "Dan Cleary" for us. Best product so far from Dan Cleary hockey school.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That said he is playing in an unfamiliar place, with people who speak a different language, which can make on ice chemistry and communication harder for many.
Most Austrians his age speak English. Though I don't know about the staff. I'm sure they have at least a dozen players that could translate though. Virtually every Austrian and German I've met under 30 spoke English, and most of the older ones as well, but the older ones will try to force you to speak German.

But for sure there's some adjustment period, his coaches probably told him to shoot more. He's supposed to be the most talented player on the team.... Their leading scorer was playing in the ECHL in 18/19.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Most Austrians his age speak English. Though I don't know about the staff. I'm sure they have at least a dozen players that could translate though. Virtually every Austrian and German I've met under 30 spoke English, and most of the older ones as well, but the older ones will try to force you to speak German.

There's also what, 7-8 North-Americans on that team.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I could also see him as our "Ondrej Palat", who plays in the most important offensive line and 2nd PP.

There's nothing set in stone, he'll most probably be the 2008-09 "Dan Cleary" for us. Best product so far from Dan Cleary hockey school.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad