Confirmed with Link: Michael Rasmussen loaned to Graz 99ers in Austria

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
More indication that the AHL is in serious trouble. Glad he will be able to get some much needed PT.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Hockey is Hockey, I'm just happy he's playing in games and staying as fresh as possible

Exactly. Rasmussen should have a great opportunity to play center and continue developing his game, specifically controlling the play and his playmaking.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
More indication that the AHL is in serious trouble. Glad he will be able to get some much needed PT.

AHL isn't in anymore trouble than they and every other NA pro league (and junior league minus the Q) is in. They won't be playing until Dec same as it ever was so let them play for a couple months.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hockey is Hockey, I'm just happy he's playing in games and staying as fresh as possible

It is easy to pick up bad habits playing with well below talent though. For example he probably won't have much trouble at all easily keeping up with pace and making plays and using his size. It will be easier for him to make offence with much less effort and skating. Then when he comes back to the NHL or higher talent leagues, those bad habits can makes things much harder to get back in the flow of a faster and stronger game.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It is easy to pick up bad habits playing with well below talent though. For example he probably won't have much trouble at all easily keeping up with pace and making plays and using his size. It will be easier for him to make offence with much less effort and skating. Then when he comes back to the NHL or higher talent leagues, those bad habits can makes things much harder to get back in the flow of a faster and stronger game.
Exactly this. It is/was my worry, but the alternative isn't better (not playing at all), so it's the lesser of 2 evils so to speak. Besides they're pros & we're not talking about an entire season in another inferior league, at least I hope not.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Exactly this. It is/was my worry, but the alternative isn't better (not playing at all), so it's the lesser of 2 evils so to speak. Besides they're pros & we're not talking about an entire season in another inferior league, at least I hope not.

Right, you cannot let perfection be the enemy of good in this sort of situation. It isn't the optimal situation but it is much better than not playing at all. If you want the right to recall a North American player of his caliber midseason, you aren't going to be able to get him a job in one of the better European leagues. Those clubs are businesses and don't want to bother with major roster turnover midseason and import caps. The kid played all of 35 games last year and hasn't played a competitive hockey game since early March. What happens if shit gets delayed in North America and we don't see an NHL training camp until late December or even January? I will agree with those who say that games are only one small part of what actually develops a player. That being said, I have a really hard time envisioning a good development environment where you aren't playing any games for abnormally long stretches of time.

Reactions: rawraw

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

It isn't perfect but this isn't lazy defensively poor player. Ras is a guy that if anything needs more of a take charge attitude offensively. He is going to be expected to deliver offensively in this situation and that might not be a bad thing. I feel like having that mental boost on the offensive side might help him make strides in the AHL/NHL.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It isn't perfect but this isn't lazy defensively poor player. Ras is a guy that if anything needs more of a take charge attitude offensively. He is going to be expected to deliver offensively in this situation and that might not be a bad thing. I feel like having that mental boost on the offensive side might help him make strides in the AHL/NHL.
He might as well be in the CHL then. This is a major step back competition wise.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Kinda weird. Why not the SEL or, well, any other league? Are their rosters frozen now or something?
I think the Swiss league doesn't have a contract limit so he could leave mid-season without it being a big deal. Maybe it means we see Ras up in the NHL this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: