Confirmed with Link: Michael Rasmussen loaned to Graz 99ers in Austria

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not ruling out that he'll have a Jordan Staal level of impact. 3rd liner.

That's a good comparison. Also potted +20 goals in 5 seasons. Been centre and wing, a centre for Aho when Aho was still at wing. Top line, 2nd line, 3rd line, mostly easily Top6 minutes because so much of special teams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
... or maybe Joe winds up centering the 4th line. Not really sure what to make of him yet.

Seems like all of Holland's picks have issues making the jump from juniors with the exception of Larkin.

Problem has been drafting guys from juniors, which are worst development leagues in the World vs. Men's leagues.

Best guys develop with older players already in men's league. It has happened with our prospects lately, no matter who did draft them.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm not ruling out that he'll have a Jordan Staal level of impact. 3rd liner.
Jordan Staal was only a 3rd line center on a team that had Malkin and Crosby down the middle. Nothing Veleno or Ras have done should make anyone believe either are going to be good for 45-50 points a season while playing well above average to elite two way hockey.

Ras I could see being a 25/20/45 guy if he plays wing and gets a ton of PP time.

Veleno I see as a 15/20/35 on average

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
LOL, Hands of Stone Helm has put up 30+ pts 3 times in his career, the 35 pt projection for Veleno doesn't make him much better.

Helm also put up better numbers in his first AHL season and made the playoff roster at age 21. (Both Helm and Veleno have Jan birthdays.)

So right now, he's comparable to Helm with Helm hands. I hope he grows some hands.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
LOL, Hands of Stone Helm has put up 30+ pts 3 times in his career, the 35 pt projection for Veleno doesn't make him much better.

Helm also put up better numbers in his first AHL season and made the playoff roster at age 21. (Both Helm and Veleno have Jan birthdays.)

So right now, he's comparable to Helm with Helm hands. I hope he grows some hands.

He's nowhere near the skater Helm/Larkin was/is. A full 1-2 steps below. Still a very good skater.
If he was a Larkin/Helm type skater, I'd say he had 75-80 point potential, because I think he's got pretty decent IQ and distributing abilities.
But he's more at that Filppula type level, skating wise. And in a lot of ways, I think that's the kind of ceiling you're looking at.
45-50 points a year and, hopefully, good two-way play.
I'm not sure he ever gets to the 23-43-66 year he had in Detroit or 25-33-58 year he had in Tampa.
But 15-25-40 to 20-30-50 sound about right for me - say from the age of 23-32.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Helm also put up better numbers in his first AHL season and made the playoff roster at age 21. (Both Helm and Veleno have Jan birthdays.

Veleno was 19 last year and Helm +1 year older as he debuted in AHL. Comparable AHL season for Veleno and HElm 1st AHL season is Veleno's next season.

Biggest thing is that Veleno can score from net-front areas on his unique way, where Helm most shot stupidly against the goaltender. Veleno has that small move to go sideways and lift the puck over the goalies pads. Major difference in finishing skill everybody will see someday one the scoreboard.

Veleno does not leave fans frustratde, on the way like Helm did. He will score more than is deserved, where Helm missed too many glorious chances. Helm was great defensively and one of my favourite players.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Veleno was 19 last year and Helm +1 year older as he debuted in AHL. Comparable AHL season for Veleno and HElm 1st AHL season is Veleno's next season.

Biggest thing is that Veleno can score from net-front areas on his unique way, where Helm most shot stupidly against the goaltender. Veleno has that small move to go sideways and lift the puck over the goalies pads. Major difference in finishing skill everybody will see someday one the scoreboard.

Veleno does not leave fans frustratde, on the way like Helm did. He will score more than is deserved, where Helm missed too many glorious chances. Helm was great defensively and one of my favourite players.
I dunno, Veleno is already frustrating me, lol.

You are right in that Helm's first season is comparable age wise to Veleno season this year. At the same time, Helm played in the playoffs for the Wings that year, and I don't see Veleno progressing to the level that he would be allowed to suit up for a playoff game for a Cup contender, much less one coached by Babcock. Helm can't finish, but he was great defensively before his back injuries.

Veleno has better puck skills but Helm had more speed and was better defensively. But in the end, Veleno is going to fill in that role is all I was saying. And Helm did pot a few goals, he just had a low percentage, but lots of opportunities because of his speed.

That is actually one thing I will miss about Helm. That Charlie Brown feeling every time Helm gets a breakaway then flubs the puck, lol.
kNBmYMETQG49varN16MsnpbcqA5jW7_J93Zq-uxAauvtf368aMXPPdgix4npZtGQeSN3d8kuN_MPOJamuoNHp6x0bd4wHDTTshdZ1T3AT7l-KAhU0yhKNUPkOggpdcFssdnSoZ4i

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I dunno, Veleno is already frustrating me, lol.

You are right in that Helm's first season is comparable age wise to Veleno season this year. At the same time, Helm played in the playoffs for the Wings that year, and I don't see Veleno progressing to the level that he would be allowed to suit up for a playoff game for a Cup contender, much less one coached by Babcock. Helm can't finish, but he was great defensively before his back injuries.

Veleno has better puck skills but Helm had more speed and was better defensively. But in the end, Veleno is going to fill in that role is all I was saying. And Helm did pot a few goals, he just had a low percentage, but lots of opportunities because of his speed.

That is actually one thing I will miss about Helm. That Charlie Brown feeling every time Helm gets a breakaway then flubs the puck, lol.
kNBmYMETQG49varN16MsnpbcqA5jW7_J93Zq-uxAauvtf368aMXPPdgix4npZtGQeSN3d8kuN_MPOJamuoNHp6x0bd4wHDTTshdZ1T3AT7l-KAhU0yhKNUPkOggpdcFssdnSoZ4i

I think you're underselling Veleno. Probably 50ish point potential, which is good 2nd line production in the NHL these days. Good speed, good passing, good size, his shot is looking 10 times better than when he was drafted, and sound defensive instincts.

He's been the best forward on his SHL team this year and has been carrying the play up ice quite a bit, winning the majority of his faceoffs, winning his physical battles and looks faster and stronger than last season. He's definitely more of a playmaker than goal scorer, and his SHL stats aren't helped by having no teammates capable of putting the puck in the net on the regular. If there was even 1 player of Brome's caliber on Malmo with Veleno then you'd see his stats get a huge boost. Instead he's playing on the SHL equivalent of the Detroit Red Wings.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I guess I’ll add this to the Ras thread as he’s a perfect example. Seems that the majority here always look at a prospect with the hope of top line or bust. If he’s not an X amount of points per year potential prospect he’s dog shit.

We all want big production and hype from our young guys. But there’s only 3 top line spots. We need to build a top 9. And we need an awesome 4th line. I see them as two separate projects.

top 9 players

Larkin
Martha
Bertuzzi
Raymond
Zadina
Fabbri

Potential top 9 players

Veleno
Rasmussen
Svechnikov
Namestinov (sp?)
Berggren
Ryan (if retained)
2022 1st rounder
Hirose

4th line potential

Smith
Erne
Grewe?
Turgeon?
Pearson?
??

back to the thread topic... if we can add a 6’6” ras to the top 9, in any capacity, that’s a good thing. Regardless of his draft position. Out of that second grouping of players Ras is the first name I want in the top 9 with the smaller skilled wingers up on the top lines.

Reactions: lilidk

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I never could settle on a moniker for DH. Helms of Stone or Hands of Helm. Both fit nicely.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I guess I’ll add this to the Ras thread as he’s a perfect example. Seems that the majority here always look at a prospect with the hope of top line or bust. If he’s not an X amount of points per year potential prospect he’s dog shit.

We all want big production and hype from our young guys. But there’s only 3 top line spots. We need to build a top 9. And we need an awesome 4th line. I see them as two separate projects.

back to the thread topic... if we can add a 6’6” ras to the top 9, in any capacity, that’s a good thing. Regardless of his draft position. Out of that second grouping of players Ras is the first name I want in the top 9 with the smaller skilled wingers up on the top lines.

Finally some sense in here. Great post.

I'll see our Top9 as this:

Raymond - 2022 1st - Mantha
Fabbri - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Veleno - Rasmussen - Zadina (or Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina)
-----------------------------------
X - Söderblom - X

Like, it's not far away from being on pretty good shape.

It could could also twist like:

Raymond -- 2022 1st -- Mantha
Bertuzzi -- Larkin -- Zadina
Fabbri -- Rasmussen -- Veleno

...but we should not waste our time debating until the death before we see them even play. The talent is there after we get one good center from the future drafts. Berggren is adding extra when some fails and so on. Who knows if Niederbach pulls out some greatness. Everybody doesn't have to pan out anymore, just some of them.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

X - Söderblom - X

...but we should not waste our time debating until the death before we see them even play. The talent is there after we get one good center from the future drafts. Berggren is adding extra when some fails and so on. Who knows if Niederbach pulls out some greatness. Everybody doesn't have to pan out anymore, just some of them.
Most likely we going to get another defenseman next draft.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina, now that i would like to see. Veleno and Zadina already have some chemistry and Ras is a perfect guy to pull the piano. Very well builded line-up, size, speed and skill. Rasmussen could take the d-zone faceoffs, so Veleno can use his speed in the wing to move up the puck.

BTW. Has Söderblom ever played as a center? EP has marked him as RW/LW, but Smith - Söderblom - Crewe, would be pretty nasty 4th line. Velociraptor - Titanosaur - TRex :sarcasm:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina, now that i would like to see. Veleno and Zadina already have some chemistry and Ras is a perfect guy to pull the piano. Very well builded line-up, size, speed and skill. Rasmussen could take the d-zone faceoffs, so Veleno can use his speed in the wing to move up the puck.

BTW. Has Söderblom ever played as a center? EP has marked him as RW/LW, but Smith - Söderblom - Crewe, would be pretty nasty 4th line. Velociraptor - Titanosaur - TRex :sarcasm:
Wasn't Soderblom playing C in the RW's rookie camp/prospect tourney etc.

Sodabomb is hopefully our Megalodon
Smith would be the T-Rex
Grewe is the Raptor or maybe a pterodactyl

...but I like where you're going with that, iirc I projected the same 4th line somewhere.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

X - Söderblom - X

Unless that 2022 1st is a generational talent, it still looks like an early round exit. But at least they'll be able to make the playoffs if Power/Seider are the top pair.

This team desperately needs someone that can rack up some goals and stay healthy.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I would love to see this starting lineup one day, if only for a day:

Soderblöm - Rasmussen - Mantha - Tuomisto - Seider

They’d absolutely tower over everyone on the ice. Slim chance it ever happens, but it’s one of my pipe dreams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would love to see this starting lineup one day, if only for a day:

Soderblöm - Rasmussen - Mantha - Tuomisto - Seider

They’d absolutely tower over everyone on the ice. Slim chance it ever happens, but it’s one of my pipe dreams.

And no one isn't slow. :popcorn:

Big guys with good skating and that reach = nightmare defensively for opposite team. There's just no free space on the ice for puck control. They will tip it away or take it away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad