Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe this is just semantics, but in year 3 years after being drafted any 1st round pick you would kinda of expect to be on the cusp of being in the NHL. However it's often the case that maybe it's not a good idea to bring them up to the NHL instead of letting them stay in the AHL.

As an example McCarron 3 years after being drafted started his AHL career and had 24 points in 27 AHL games. All signs pointed to him being NHL ready, yet in hindsight it would have been better for him to play the whole season in the AHL.

At the end of the day how he looks at training camp might change my mind, but I would rather see him dominate at the AHL for the year then bringing him up early only to either limit his minutes or yo-yo him between the NHL/AHL.
In hindsight it would have been more beneficial for McCarron to go play at Western Michigan like he originally intended. He needed time to work on his strength, conditioning, skating, etc.

The fact he had 24pts in his first 27 games...I don't know how many conclusions can be reached from that, but agreed, it would have been wiser to allow him to ripen in the AHL.

He's a guy who needed it

Reactions: Miller Time

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
In hindsight it would have been more beneficial for McCarron to go play at Western Michigan like he originally intended. He needed time to work on his strength, conditioning, skating, etc.

The fact he had 24pts in his first 27 games...I don't know how many conclusions can be reached from that, but agreed, it would have been wiser to allow him to ripen in the AHL.

He's a guy who needed it

Agreed, but it's always a lot easier to say he was a guy who needed it when using hindsight. Not sure what your stance on McCarron was back then, but quite a lot of people were saying he had the size for the NHL and didn't have much to learn at the AHL level, so the only thing was to get him used to the NHL speed.

That's why it's generally a good idea to take the more cautious approach with prospects because if you make a mistake there are no do overs.

Reactions: 417

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Agreed, but it's always a lot easier to say he was a guy who needed it when using hindsight. Not sure what your stance on McCarron was back then, but quite a lot of people were saying he had the size for the NHL and didn't have much to learn at the AHL level, so the only thing was to get him used to the NHL speed.

That's why it's generally a good idea to take the more cautious approach with prospects because if you make a mistake there are no do overs.
Injuries are what hurt McCarron more than anything else. Always thought his cardio was suspect too. He seemed to get tired quickly.

Reactions: Hins77 and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

McCarron was always seem as a long term project.

I still think he'll eventually carve himself a role on a 4th line in the NHL.

Timmins told us he was a project...so they should have pushed for him to head to college.

But the word at the time was that going to London Knights to play under the Hunter's was a better route.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
McCarron was always seem as a long term project.

I still think he'll eventually carve himself a role on a 4th line in the NHL.

Timmins told us he was a project...so they should have pushed for him to head to college.

But the word at the time was that going to London Knights to play under the Hunter's was a better route.
Actually, McCarron's play in the NHL wasn't that bad if you look at only the first 20 seconds of his shifts. I found that the drawbacks with Mike's game were his skating and, more importantly, his stamina. He was gassed after 20 seconds into a shift. Last year he seemed to have worked out the kinks in that part of his game.

Jul 6, 2016
McCarron has a fair chance to be Habs #13 forward ( or a regular 4th liner) next season IF he shows big things at the Camp. It's up to him now.

Reactions: Tyson

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
McCarron has a fair chance to be Habs #13 forward ( or a regular 4th liner) next season IF he shows big things at the Camp. It's up to him now.

You are right of course, but I still think our management is ready to give McCarron at least two seasons more to see wheter he can make it in or not as it would suck to give up on him and see him come into his own ala Brian Boyle elsewhere when that is exactly the type of player we have been missing in our bottom6 for a long time now.

Reactions: montreal

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Y'all still have faith in this player?

I don't see a fit on our team or anywhere in the league.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Last year he was a new player before his injury so I'll make my mind after training camp.

I just don't see the puck skills. I've never seen him do much with the puck at the NHL level. I don't think dump, chase and bang can be effective at the NHL level anymore.

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope he realises that this is probably his last chance to make the big league.

I suspect it’s only his last chance to make the Habs. Some other teams still value the moar size guys and one of them may yet take him on.

Reactions: habsfan891

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone know if Domi-McCarron played together at all when they were in London together?

Mike's last year there he was at aost a goal/game before getting traded to Oshawa (leading a stacked London team that had Domi, Marner, Dvorak... & Mete on D).

Total longshot... But given our big hole at RW, and our size deficiency at forward, if he has any kind of chemistry there and puts together a great camp, imagine he makes opening day top-9 roster & goes on to contribute a 15-20g season...

We haven't really had a drafted forward greatly beat expectations since Gallagher, we're long overdue!

(& While unlikely, not wholly unrealistic imo...
- roster need is exactly for what he was drafted to be
- big guys can take longer to put it together
- he looked to be on a positive track b4 injuries last year... If he saw that and spent his rehab/offseason doing more of what worked for him last summer, could be ready for a big step fwd
- if I'm Domi (or mete for that matter), I am rooting hard for my 6'6" 230pd buddy to make the team and handle some of the rough stuff

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Let's hope he falls less than 20 times a game first...and then we'll see about the rest of it....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anyone know if Domi-McCarron played together at all when they were in London together?

Mike's last year there he was at aost a goal/game before getting traded to Oshawa (leading a stacked London team that had Domi, Marner, Dvorak... & Mete on D).

Total longshot... But given our big hole at RW, and our size deficiency at forward, if he has any kind of chemistry there and puts together a great camp, imagine he makes opening day top-9 roster & goes on to contribute a 15-20g season...

We haven't really had a drafted forward greatly beat expectations since Gallagher, we're long overdue!

(& While unlikely, not wholly unrealistic imo...
- roster need is exactly for what he was drafted to be
- big guys can take longer to put it together
- he looked to be on a positive track b4 injuries last year... If he saw that and spent his rehab/offseason doing more of what worked for him last summer, could be ready for a big step fwd
- if I'm Domi (or mete for that matter), I am rooting hard for my 6'6" 230pd buddy to make the team and handle some of the rough stuff
Yes they played together (well at least on the same team, no clue if they played on the same line) on the London Knights

2013-14 season and 25 games in the 2014-15 season

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes they played together (well at least on the same team, no clue if they played on the same line) on the London Knights

2013-14 season and 25 games in the 2014-15 season

Yeah, I meant curious about if they actually played on the same line...

Looks less likely in 13-14, but quite possible in the 25 game stint in 14-15

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017

Yes they did.

They were actually a dominant force together. I remember following Mike closely during his time in junior because I thought big things of him. For some reason I always found he had a lot of skill and a soft touch for a big guy. He complimented Domi super well at the time. Think of him as what Shaw was for Domi this year but 6'6" and in junior lol.

A lot of people attributed Mccarron's high point totals in the end of his junior career was because of the high skilled forwards like Domi that he was playing with. I think it was more of the fact they complimented each other terrifically.

Here is an example:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I've watched some highlight packs from McCarron's first year with the Knights and in some of the goals you can see Domi on the ice with him and i'm pretty sure even fed him a few passes for goals or vice versa.

But if we're wanting to reunite Domi with former London Knights...

Can we get Josh Anderson instead?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've watched some highlight packs from McCarron's first year with the Knights and in some of the goals you can see Domi on the ice with him and i'm pretty sure even fed him a few passes for goals or vice versa.

But if we're wanting to reunite Domi with former London Knights...

Can we get Josh Anderson instead?

Yes please...

Though we're shopping for Domi's former Knights, Marner or bust :bow:

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes they did.

They were actually a dominant force together. I remember following Mike closely during his time in junior because I thought big things of him. For some reason I always found he had a lot of skill and a soft touch for a big guy. He complimented Domi super well at the time. Think of him as what Shaw was for Domi this year but 6'6" and in junior lol.

A lot of people attributed Mccarron's high point totals in the end of his junior career was because of the high skilled forwards like Domi that he was playing with. I think it was more of the fact they complimented each other terrifically.

Here is an example:

:D

Almost wish I didn't ask & kept the crazy thought to myself....

On the bright side, that much more excited to catch the preseason :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad