Michael McCarron: A Recent Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifaxhab*

I liked Jason Ward and Ryan O'Marra. :(

Anyway, I like the turnaround by McCarron. Welychka and Marner are much nicer fits as linemates too. It bodes well for his future. I don't want him to just be some toughguy 4th liner, I'd love it if he can fill other roles and handle other responsibilities. This is a nice turn of events.

He has the luxury of playing for a great staff that know how to bring guys along. And no pressure being the go to guy.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
I remember his 1st fight i saw in the juniors and he's getting better. He's learned not to try to land those hay-makers and is punching in a straighter line and also using shorter punches too. I wont worry to much about that part cause he's got good teachers in that aspect. You can already see a marked difference for the best.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Have you watched him recently? He's looking at lot better. From the start of the season and now it's night and day for McCarron. Only 58 OHL games and you give up on him lol? Kid needs 2-3 years in OHL and another 1-2 in AHL. Let him develop a little before writing him off.

I haven't given up on him. I'm just not that impressed with him. We've seen this strategy of drafting big, but unskilled players before. It's not a road I'd like to travel down again. It leads to picks like this. He may prove me wrong and hope that he does. Giving an opinion doesn't mean I wish he fails or have given up on him. Just being honest.

Halifaxhab*

I haven't given up on him. I'm just not that impressed with him. We've seen this strategy of drafting big, but unskilled players before. It's not a road I'd like to travel down again. It leads to picks like this. He may prove me wrong and hope that he does. Giving an opinion doesn't mean I wish he fails or have given up on him. Just being honest.

for a rookie in the OHL, playing on the 3rd line, he's got good numbers. He is also getting to learn what a real pro schedule is like and what is needed to play that many games. His conditioning is improving, his decision making is as well. He is a solid prospect.

He will be a very good complimentary piece on a scoring line. He hits, cycles well, goes to the net, uses his size effectively and has good hands. Put him on a line with two smaller guys (of which we have an inordinate amount) and he can make the space they need to be effective.

But we wont see him in an NHL uni for at least 3 more seasons.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The one thing McCarron has consistently shown is that he's phenomenal at digging pucks from the corners. That alone will make him a top six threat for Montreal. To be able to dig a puck in the opposing zone and then dish to a scorer? He will collect a lot of assists.

Halifaxhab*

The one thing McCarron has consistently shown is that he's phenomenal at digging pucks from the corners. That alone will make him a top six threat for Montreal. To be able to dig a puck in the opposing zone and then dish to a scorer? He will collect a lot of assists.

you see him around the net too...ALOT. That will also help. And his skating is good enough to keep up with the speedy gazelles

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
you see him around the net too...ALOT. That will also help. And his skating is good enough to keep up with the speedy gazelles

I could see him becoming a Ryan Malone type. Malone was pretty good for 20 goals and was a constant threat every shift. He always made a PP look better by just being the guy to grind for the puck.

Halifaxhab*

I could see him becoming a Ryan Malone type. Malone was pretty good for 20 goals and was a constant threat every shift. He always made a PP look better by just being the guy to grind for the puck.

I think his upside could be a little higher, but having McCarron turn into that would be well worth the pick used.

firewagon77*

London and McCarron will be on sportsnet tonight on friday night hockey.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Habfanatics is 'just being honest'...what do you think the rest of us are doing? Gotta love when someone says they're just being honest...like being honest is such a rare thing.

Not one person remains on the scouting staff from that string of bad high picks in the 90's.....it makes no sense to point to history of poorly drafted big men as a reason why he would fail when it's irrelevant. Not sure why everyone discounts Chipchura's cut tendon either, or that he was a later pick in a crappy draft. The Habs are supposed to draft elite players with every first rounder regardless...he was not a bust pick at all. The last eight Hab forwards selected in the first round should all be on the first line. Yes it would mean we would get called for too many men on the ice every shift...but look at the results!!

McCarron skates better than Ward, Matt Higgins or Terry Ryan ever dreamed of skating..and he's a lot larger. Fights better than any of them, looks after his own end, can chip in some offence. Not sure what there is to dislike about him. i know some on here will never like him because they already lambasted him..and it would make them look like they actually made a mistake and were hasty if they admitted he was okay after all.

what exactly concerns you so much about him? He looks like a can't miss

Halifaxhab*

Habfanatics is 'just being honest'...what do you think the rest of us are doing? Gotta love when someone says they're just being honest...like being honest is such a rare thing.

Not one person remains on the scouting staff from that string of bad high picks in the 90's.....it makes no sense to point to history of poorly drafted big men as a reason why he would fail when it's irrelevant. Not sure why everyone discounts Chipchura's cut tendon either, or that he was a later pick in a crappy draft. The Habs are supposed to draft elite players with every first rounder regardless...he was not a bust pick at all. The last eight Hab forwards selected in the first round should all be on the first line. Yes it would mean we would get called for too many men on the ice every shift...but look at the results!!

McCarron skates better than Ward, Matt Higgins or Terry Ryan ever dreamed of skating..and he's a lot larger. Fights better than any of them, looks after his own end, can chip in some offence. Not sure what there is to dislike about him. i know some on here will never like him because they already lambasted him..and it would make them look like they actually made a mistake and were hasty if they admitted he was okay after all.

he's a 1st rd pick that hasn't scored 2 goals per game. so he must really suck....just being honest :sarcasm:

Chipchura's skating is definately not as good as it was before the injury, not that it was high end to begin with. It definately makes a difference.

The kid is a rookie playing major junior who has earned the trust of his coaches, who are some of the best seen at the junior level in many many years.

I for one am very happy with his progress, and marked improvement over the season. And another season under the hunters will make him even better.

Big guys like him take time usually, but are almost always worth it.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I liked Jason Ward and Ryan O'Marra. :(

Anyway, I like the turnaround by McCarron. Welychka and Marner are much nicer fits as linemates too. It bodes well for his future. I don't want him to just be some toughguy 4th liner, I'd love it if he can fill other roles and handle other responsibilities. This is a nice turn of events.

McC has been centering Gemel Smith and Welychka for a while now. (4-6 weeks) And it's a great fit. Those two are energetic, feisty( not scrappers) hard to to play against, solid defensively kids with some speed. And they can chip in the O. (About 50g combined) Its really helped his confidence.
Marner gets occasional shifts with all lines after PP or PK situations so only gets a shift or so s game with McC.

Spoiler alert! Marner is the real deal. As impressive a 16 yr old as far as compete, vision, hockey sense as I've seen in 15 yrs here in London ( and we've had a few ;))

The biggest difference from his first half is conditioning and those 2 wingers ( althou Wely played a lot at C vs Erie Wednesday) They take turns defending their zone at C based on whose back first ( they could all play C) and it's worked. When Dale put him at C, gave him a bit more responsibility he's stepped up, he's also more north south now using his straight away speed. ( and some other issues quieted down)
Self admittedly, after a whirlwind offseason he was outta shape. ( and maybe a bit entitled) And getting used to a very good league. He's worked to fix that. And still will make strides in that area. It shows ten fold when after one trip up ice he isn't gasping anymore. There were also some PT issues earlier that lead to some friction but it's def quieted down. ( not all brought forward by him)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He's a better fighter than Tinordi was at the same age, so it's encouraging, as Tinordi is a damn good scrapper now. Tin didn't know how to protect himself at the time..Mac has that on him already.

I expect McCarron to be strong in the playoffs - his game is folowing a similar curve to least season when he got stronger as the season went on and the games had more significance. McCarron was at his best by the U-18 tournament, which was by far his most important tournament of the season.

I'll agree McC defends better. Tinner was almost nonchalant entering a scap and it lead to a McGuire shot that literally broke his face. But Tinner threw with more intent than McC IMO. But McC will get better with coaching for sure. Gotta learn to switch hands, get free, be aggressive, but yes definitely defends very well. And he will step up for a teammate, no doubts.
He's also gotten away from the constant pushing after every whistle trying to prove he's the tough guy. That's helped his game s well

Nice to hear he stepped it up as last year went on. I love that in players. It's a huge thing IMO.
Thanks for the info

The Knights will need that line to contribute. A few months ago depth was an issue and many wanted him 4th line. He's definitely worked past that and is going to be relied on to contribute. And I think he will.

Give him 3-4 yrs and ill guess he gets his shot

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Any more details on this?

I'd chalk it up to the reg business side of sports :)
Probly happens in every room at almost every level.
There has been a few incidents and frustration on both sides at times. But ya gotta manage your team, find a way to make it work as best as possible and get the most outta everyone.
The Hunters have seemingly done that.

I wouldn't read too much into it, like I said, these things happen everywhere without becoming major issues.

All kids, agents, parents want the best for the kid, the staffs want the best for the team and kids. Sometimes they don't perfectly aligned but with communication it often gets worked out.

Just don't usually post specifics other than in PM but I'm not worried its a big problem here or in the future for my two fav teams

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I can't project exactly what he'll be, just so many variables.
But I'd be more than happy with this^

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

lol, yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. the way a lot of our fans make their mind up they have to hate a player and then can never ever admit that that player does something good is so frustrating.

'oh i decided Eller's a 3rd liner so long ago, can't go back on that now. oh great he's slumping! i've been right all along.'

Mac would be such an important piece of the puzzle if he comes anywhere near the area of his potential. It just seems like he has so much room to improve. Even if his development doesn't take a huge leap he could still be a solid player for us but I think he has a lot more to show than he has.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

He doesn't fight better than Ryan, that's the only thing Terry was good at.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
nice little feed there. seems like a savvy playmaker. just really looks to have a pretty rare skill set for such a mountain.

NewHabsEra*

Not impressed by this London team, even less with McCarron, I would be happy if he develops in a decent fourth liner at this point..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad