Michael McCarron: A Recent Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes - I didn't answer this guy instantly so it means I'm trying to scam folks all under the guise of boasting...you're really sharp.

Folks stopped guessing. No one got it right yet..you're more than welcome to keep guessing. Don't think it's my "duty" to be ensuring that the thread stays on the first page.

The thread is totally gone. Why would you delete it? You never said who got it right...said who came closest

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If he morphs into a center, how does he compare with Frederik Gauthier, picked a few places ahead? He's slightly taller. Will he be at least as (or more) "mobile", which I understand may not be the latter's strong suit?

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

If he morphs into a center, how does he compare with Frederik Gauthier, picked a few places ahead? He's slightly taller. Will he be at least as (or more) "mobile", which I understand may not be the latter's strong suit?

Hopefully he will be meaner/more physical/feared. Still needs to show us he can fill that role, but that's something we can all expect from him.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I'm still not worried or excited about McCarron.

Jason Ward was junk for a few years after being drafted, then became a very good AHLer, but went nowhere once he got to the NHL. Ryan O'Marra was drafted even higher, big-time WJC player, part of a big deadline deal, never became anything. Blake Wheeler was arguably the most off-the-board pick of the decade, didn't live up to his draft position at Minnesota U, but became a solid top 6 NHL forward and Olympian.

I'm just going to wait a few years before I get worry in my veins or a tingle in my dingle about the McCarron pick.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The move to C has helped McC as well as having two linemates better suited for him to play with now. Their getting points on the third line and doing a good job with energy, cycling, ear em down shifts but it is a group effort.
McC is decent in the boards, has a good shot when used, and tough to move when in the blue ice or along boards. He's also spending less time picking himself up off the ice.
Has trouble still, getting open ice hits. He can skate, but balance and explosion( tough for that big a kid) still need work. As for fighting--- he hasn't done much but his length has kept him outta trouble.
He's finally showed some improvement the last month/two here in Lonfon after the move.
And well get a good look at his COMPETE level once the POs start and the intensity cranks up. He's got a staff here that'll clearly define his role for the PO run and hopefully he's up for it and continues his recent improvement.
He's still a project thou. But does have enough skills to be a future role player if development continues.
As was suggested a few times here. Patience

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
The move to C has helped McC as well as having two linemates better suited for him to play with now. Their getting points on the third line and doing a good job with energy, cycling, ear em down shifts but it is a group effort.
McC is decent in the boards, has a good shot when used, and tough to move when in the blue ice or along boards. He's also spending less time picking himself up off the ice.
Has trouble still, getting open ice hits. He can skate, but balance and explosion( tough for that big a kid) still need work. As for fighting--- he hasn't done much but his length has kept him outta trouble.
He's finally showed some improvement the last month/two here in Lonfon after the move.
And well get a good look at his COMPETE level once the POs start and the intensity cranks up. He's got a staff here that'll clearly define his role for the PO run and hopefully he's up for it and continues his recent improvement.
He's still a project thou. But does have enough skills to be a future role player if development continues.
As was suggested a few times here. Patience

Thanks for the report - and quite accurate I'd say. Much appreciated.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
That's a typical McC scrap. He hasn't gotten tagged, but also doesn't really throw with purpose. Donnay is a tall kid so it's tougher but with shorter guys it's the same thing. I wouldn't expect much in the way of a scrapper ready to take on heavyweights any time soon.

The POs will tell us more about his future, IMO. The intensity really gets turned up. Esp with teams looking to stick it to the knights :)after back to back and this years hosts.
Some kids step up and some take a step back. Win or lose I love the character that comes out come crunch time, who goes that extra mile, pays the price ect..,
Based on what I've seen and heard I think he'll love that atmosphere mentally and hopefully he responds on ice with a good performance

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
He's a better fighter than Tinordi was at the same age, so it's encouraging, as Tinordi is a damn good scrapper now. Tin didn't know how to protect himself at the time..Mac has that on him already.

I expect McCarron to be strong in the playoffs - his game is folowing a similar curve to least season when he got stronger as the season went on and the games had more significance. McCarron was at his best by the U-18 tournament, which was by far his most important tournament of the season.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He needs to learn how to throw punches properly. I'm not worried because because Tinordi kind of had the same problem, but now, he's starting to throw bombs.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
He'll struggle to ever make the NHL imo. I've seen him a few times now and have been completely unimpressed each time.

dreamingofdrouin*

He'll struggle to ever make the NHL imo. I've seen him a few times now and have been completely unimpressed each time.

ya for me the picking of him was like....ok..thats fine cause everything was taken, but I really don't have high hopes for him...if he turns out to be lucic,, fantastic, but I see him as a brian boyle type.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto

Have you watched him recently? He's looking at lot better. From the start of the season and now it's night and day for McCarron. Only 58 OHL games and you give up on him lol? Kid needs 2-3 years in OHL and another 1-2 in AHL. Let him develop a little before writing him off.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Have you watched him recently? He's looking at lot better. From the start of the season and now it's night and day for McCarron. Only 58 OHL games and you give up on him lol? Kid needs 2-3 years in OHL and another 1-2 in AHL. Let him develop a little before writing him off.

LOL if he is 21 in the OHL we have problems.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I liked Jason Ward and Ryan O'Marra. :(

Anyway, I like the turnaround by McCarron. Welychka and Marner are much nicer fits as linemates too. It bodes well for his future. I don't want him to just be some toughguy 4th liner, I'd love it if he can fill other roles and handle other responsibilities. This is a nice turn of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad