Michael McCarron: A Recent Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
why don't you put this in the McCarron thread?

It's the sticky with the misleading title of '2013-14 prospects'

COME AT ME!!!!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I honestly believe his hockey IQ is... very low. He makes terrible plays, decisions and is way too emotional. Not sure what to think about the kid's future.

Avengers*

So is McCarron a legit prospect or a future bust like Leblanc?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Always been a high chance for McCarron to bust. But if he doesn't bust... wow.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Always been a high chance for McCarron to bust. But if he doesn't bust... wow.

Well, if he doesn't bust, he could also have Turner Stevenson's upside, which is far from "wow", even if he had a respectable career.

Stevenson was more successful offensively than McCarron in the junior. He also had a great wrist shot, like McCarron. But that's it. Big, slow, questionnable vision at best.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Previous reports were that he was struggling in the OHL. That's the OHL and if he is struggling there, what will he do at higher levels.

bhuya71

Jun 14, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Previous reports were that he was struggling in the OHL. That's the OHL and if he is struggling there, what will he do at higher levels.

I love posts like this...that's the funny thing about development...most players need to ADAPT...look at patches when he started. Not everyone's development is linear.

He'll grow into his body and he'll learn. He'll work harder on improving lower body strength since it seems his legs may not be where his upper body is.

There is so much to development it's hilarious when people cite that x player sucked in y league so how will they survive in the NHL.

There are SO MANY players who have sucked just to get better. McCarron will be no different. If he sucks and busts we won't really know and if he doesn't suck and makes it we won't really know...NOW

From what I've seen in pre-season plus what he's shown. He needs to make better decisions and know his role.

I feel a big thing with McCarron is that he has NO IDEA what his role is or what it should be in the future. That's why you'll see him fighting some games, crashing the net on others, or trying to make plays.

Is he going to be a grinder, a fighter, a board player, a playmaker, a garbageman in front of the net, does he have enough vision to play on the PP, is he good enough defensively to play on the PK.

I really think that this year isn't just a huge year from him physically and points wise but also mentally. I really think he's not too sure on what his role is and it's shown in his inconsistent play.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Seems like he's going to have a very limited role in the NHL. If he can't use his body to score enough goals, he's going to be a pretty much useless player with a very short career.

Not sure why we wasted a pick on him.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well, if he doesn't bust, he could also have Turner Stevenson's upside, which is far from "wow", even if he had a respectable career.

Stevenson was more successful offensively than McCarron in the junior. He also had a great wrist shot, like McCarron. But that's it. Big, slow, questionnable vision at best.

Stevenson isn't a great comparison, Turner could never really skate well. Travis Moen is a better comparison....

When Turner played junior hockey, it was a gong show... the stats were very misleading.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
I love posts like this...that's the funny thing about development...most players need to ADAPT...look at patches when he started. Not everyone's development is linear.

He'll grow into his body and he'll learn. He'll work harder on improving lower body strength since it seems his legs may not be where his upper body is.

There is so much to development it's hilarious when people cite that x player sucked in y league so how will they survive in the NHL.

There are SO MANY players who have sucked just to get better. McCarron will be no different. If he sucks and busts we won't really know and if he doesn't suck and makes it we won't really know...NOW

From what I've seen in pre-season plus what he's shown. He needs to make better decisions and know his role.

I feel a big thing with McCarron is that he has NO IDEA what his role is or what it should be in the future. That's why you'll see him fighting some games, crashing the net on others, or trying to make plays.

Is he going to be a grinder, a fighter, a board player, a playmaker, a garbageman in front of the net, does he have enough vision to play on the PP, is he good enough defensively to play on the PK.

I really think that this year isn't just a huge year from him physically and points wise but also mentally. I really think he's not too sure on what his role is and it's shown in his inconsistent play.

+ 1

:yo:

PricePkPatch*

In fact, that's the very reason Bergevin insisted on McCarron playing in the OHL instead of the NCAA. McCarron needs to develop and figure himself against the tougher oppositions.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013

I agree that McCarron will continue to develop, and could very well be a good player in the NHL. Big guys take a while, and he still have 2-3 seasons in the O right? But please, enlighten me...name me one player that didn't produce in Juniors that turned out to be good in the NHL? Steve Begin lit it up, dude.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Mccaron is being eased into the OHL, with talented players there before him and is playing a 3rd line, 4th line role with more limited ice time and line mates.

He may be a waste of a pick as a project and as a 1st rounder but, with his size, work ethic, good understanding of the game, he will have a role in the NHL, regardless. If his upside materializes, it will be a bonus and a good gamble….

You will eventually see Mccaron in a Habs uniform...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I agree that McCarron will continue to develop, and could very well be a good player in the NHL. Big guys take a while, and he still have 2-3 seasons in the O right? But please, enlighten me...name me one player that didn't produce in Juniors that turned out to be good in the NHL? Steve Begin lit it up, dude.

Well Lucic scored 9 goals his draft year and 30 as a 19 year old, which to me isn't exactly lighting it up. With Mcarron you have the added factor that this is his first year in Junior.

I would prefer it if McCarron was putting up lots of points and being dominant, but the fact he isn't doesn't make me think he is a bust. Just have to wait it out and see. At the same time, I never got it in my head that McCarron could be some top end power forward, he doesn't have the skill set. For me the upside is a huge guy that hits a lot, heads to the net and can score 20 plus goals. To me that would be fantastic and he would be an important player for us.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Could it also be a factor that the Habs simply don't know how develop a power forward? Who's the last good power forward they've actually produced - one that will score, hit, fight, etc.... Was it Shayne Corson? They really haven't had anyone else in that mold since than....

Terry Ryan never really got a shot. Nobody else really developed or drafted with that in mind.... It's hard to develop a power forward and the Habs just don't do it well at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad