Michael McCarron: A Recent Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People seem again to be missing the point: McCarron will NOT be a frequent scorer in the NHL but he WILL play in the NHL with his already good skating ability and his size along with what seems some innate nastiness. He will CREATE lots of scoring chances just by being in the way of the opposing defense and making them work hard to move him wich will give a lot of space to more talented scorers.

He's already as good a skater as Lucic (or will be better) and will be quite a bit harder to move from the net than DD or any other of our resident munchkins who seems to consider the front of the net a taboo place...

THAT is his worth to the club: a big nasty sizeable player who will create a lot of chances with his size and relative speed. That kinda size with that kind of skating ability doesnt come by often...

On the flip side. I'm liking the reports that he apparently has a good slap shot. If he has a shot that can give some goalies trouble, that would be great, since he can go in for the rebound.

People have to realize that you need people to fill a specific role. Look at Getzlaf-Perry-Benn in the Olympics. They didn't always score but they wore down the opposition, they killed the clock, they maintained possession.

McCarron might not be a big scorer at the NHL level, but if he can deliver hits, get in on the forecheck, win puck battles, fight the odd pest, screen the goalie and get his stick on pucks around the net. He's worth his weight in gold.

Imagine a developed McCarron on a line with DD and Patches. It would free Gallagher to score on another line and would sky rocket their puck possession numbers while creating a lot of space.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
People have to realize that you need people to fill a specific role. ...
McCarron might not be a big scorer at the NHL level, but if he can deliver hits, get in on the forecheck, win puck battles, fight the odd pest, screen the goalie and get his stick on pucks around the net.
He's worth his weight in gold.

A role player; exactly what i was going for! He will be the kind of player that the other teams will just hate having to push away from the net all game long because that wont be easy and he will hurt people simply by resisting and being who he is.

And you know he HAS to be a good skater already since he's playing center now and seems to be better there than at any wing. And his skating will also get better...

One thing you must consider also: there is always a final growth spurt between 18 to 21 years old. Wich means he will pack on a bit more weight and maybe grow half an inch taller all the while he is learning his trade and packing on muscle because he will train the right way.

In the end this guy is shaping up to be BIG trouble for any team we face... :nod:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Personally I don't think you can compare McCarron to anyone from the draft. He's a completely different animal from them all, stylistically, size and development paths.

The best way to look at him is with patience and singularly.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Let the kid develop into the player he's going to be and not the one each individual fan wants them to become.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We could do the same exercise for the OHL and the WHL Grant. There are players that can't bring their game to the next level, even if they were successful at the junior level.

The 'Q is not different from any other league in that department.

The topic is Mantha, that's why he's using the Q as an example...sensitive aren't we :cry:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Be happy, very happy we didn't draft Rychel. Anyone who watched the Spitfires knows he is one of the most petulant crybaby spoiled hockey players today. You ever thought Alex Kovalev was lazy? You haven't seen Rychel whiff on a shot and then not skate back when the other team gets possession. No brains, just skill. McCarron will have a positive reputation if he makes the NHL. Rychel will probably be run out of town.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
and he is still growing!!!

This kid skates well, likes to play physical, has good hands. He's an excellent complimentary player for a top 6 line.

In 4 years, this kid will be LOVED in Montreal

If the city does not kill his spirit we can have a huge presence in front of goalies that we have not seen in years. My fear is the patience of the fans with him. He will need time to grow and develop but with Montreal's 'we must win every game with no mistakes mentality' that can hurt a kids growth. It is what you have to love and yet hate about Montreal. Spoiled by past success and blinded by reality

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If McCarron goes to all the dirty areas, uses his size and is mucho aggressive in the hit department ( being able and willing to drop them is a bonus ), is not a defensive liability and can score 15-20 goals , then we hit a home run as far as I am concerned.

Halifaxhab*

If the city does not kill his spirit we can have a huge presence in front of goalies that we have not seen in years. My fear is the patience of the fans with him. He will need time to grow and develop but with Montreal's 'we must win every game with no mistakes mentality' that can hurt a kids growth. It is what you have to love and yet hate about Montreal. Spoiled by past success and blinded by reality

as long as the coaching staff in place at the time use him correctly and not punish for every little error (unlike this crowd) then the media and over-indulged fanbase can whine and complain (as they would anyway) without any real mpact. besides, by the time he makes it to the show, I hope the Nordiques are back and 90% of the morons that act that way will have gone back to their team (as most of them are only following the habs to be critical anyway)

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Actually most Hab fans are usually more patient than the coaching staffs with young guys making mistakes on the big club. Where they lack patience is in waiting for those young prospects to develop. They are supposed to dominate and not make mistakes BEFORE they make the Habs.

London is looking pretty good for the playoffs. Domi has really come on, and they're healthy. Incredible forward depth. Hopefully they can go all the way in the western conference, but Guelph and Erie will be tough.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I think Guelph has a slight edge on everyone right now, but Erie is falling apart. Their D is really getting exposed lately. I'd handicap it at 50% Guelph wins it, 30% London, 20% Erie.

Either way, Big Mac will be getting some experience.

Big game for LDN in Erie on Wed.

Currently one point up on Erie in the race for third seed..which will mean avoiding Guelph until the league final.

Erie still leads the league in goals against by a wide margin...their defence isn't THAT bad, but yes, there were two games recently where they gave up a bunch of goals...happens to every junior team at some point.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Big game for LDN in Erie on Wed.

Currently one point up on Erie in the race for third seed..which will mean avoiding Guelph until the league final.

Erie still leads the league in goals against by a wide margin...their defence isn't THAT bad, but yes, there were two games recently where they gave up a bunch of goals...happens to every junior team at some point.

Hey, who won the contest you put on here a few weeks back? Guess the Habs top 10 prospects. I did a search but couldn't find the thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
*looks up game-by-game stats on the OHL website*

*sees stats from Jan & Feb*

*walks up to the mic*

He's heating up.

*drops the mic; leaves thread*

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hey, who won the contest you put on here a few weeks back? Guess the Habs top 10 prospects. I did a search but couldn't find the thread

Typical with this board...I guess he is not going to answer. Don't know what that was all about. Wanted to boast he was writing the Habs prospect write up or something

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Typical with this board...I guess he is not going to answer. Don't know what that was all about. Wanted to boast he was writing the Habs prospect write up or something

Yes - I didn't answer this guy instantly so it means I'm trying to scam folks all under the guise of boasting...you're really sharp.

Folks stopped guessing. No one got it right yet..you're more than welcome to keep guessing. Don't think it's my "duty" to be ensuring that the thread stays on the first page.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Yes - I didn't answer this guy instantly so it means I'm trying to scam folks all under the guise of boasting...you're really sharp.

Folks stopped guessing. No one got it right yet..you're more than welcome to keep guessing. Don't think it's my "duty" to be ensuring that the thread stays on the first page.
Yes, I really do not understand how quick people are ready to criticize, complain or bash other posters on this board. That is 1 main reason I do not post much. If something is not written correct and/or precise we ignore what the person wrote and bash them on spelling, sentence structure or the word they used; or in your case if you were busy and did not see that persons post they call you out. O well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad