Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
This series is crazy.... 12 shots on goal dont win you a game very often... But here we are....

Hoping that the floodgates are about to open in this one....
PDO 113.4

Their high PDO has been unsustainable all season.

They can't keep wining like this. It will regress to the mean. It's unsustainable.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Huh weird.

Moneypuck has 2.02 xGF Canucks and 2.3 xGF for Preds.

NaturalStatTrick has 1.14 xGF Canucks and 2.38 for Preds.

How can the models be so different? Which is the truth?

VanGreenGuy

Aug 28, 2010
I think you lot have been out of the playoffs for far too long. This Canucks team won't come close to beating the VGK, Avs, or Oilers playing like this. Real overvaluation of your defensive core or overall team defence.
The vast majority of the season has not seen the Canucks play this style of hockey. So, to your bolded point you're perhaps correct but as a fan who's watched almost every period of Canucks hockey this season, I am not worried that they will continue to play this ultra defensive style against any other opponent for which it is not required.

Nashville knows it needs to lock things down against the Canuck offense if it is going to have any meaningful chance to tilt the ice in their favor. Their defensive stance exhibited especially in Game 2 limited the Canucks 82 shot attempts do a mere 18 on net.

In a best-of-seven series, teams play to their opponents strengths & weaknesses just as much as their own. They make adjustments from game to game to aid their cause as best they can. This is known.

The Canucks made adjustments this game, got up on the back of a pair of PP goals and some equally structured defensive play. And they won the game of hockey this night.

Keep on with your trolling attempts but rest assured it's not going to rattle this Canucks fan. I know what we have in this team and what they are capable of. I won't guarantee any more wins, let alone another 14 needed to hoist the cup but I for one am just going to enjoy the ride! I hope you can do the same!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You have over 30k posts and understand hockey this poorly?
This is an outstanding coping mechanism level of post. There are defensive schemes and then there is this series. I have never seen a series like this where teams are barely getting to 30 shots combined.
Keep on with your trolling attempts but rest assured it's not going to rattle this Canucks fan. I know what we have in this team and what they are capable of. I won't guarantee any more wins, let alone another 14 needed to hoist the cup but I for one am just going to enjoy the ride! I hope you can do the same!
So because I call out the most boring series for being boring, it is now considered as "troll attempts." Fam, you don't need to care about my posts, I am stating my opinion and I am very sure it is an opinion shared by many other neutral fans here. Both of these teams are bad because none of the three teams I mentioned would be stuck with 12 shots for the majority of the game. For the record, I could care less about who wins this series, I am not anti-Canucks or anti-Predators, I am anti-30 shots for both teams.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
This is an outstanding coping mechanism level of post. There are defensive schemes and then there is this series. I have never seen a series like this where teams are barely getting to 30 shots combined.

So because I call out the most boring series for being boring, it is now considered as "troll attempts." Fam, you don't need to care about my posts, I am stating my opinion and I am very sure it is an opinion shared by many other neutral fans here. Both of these teams are bad because none of the three teams I mentioned would be stuck with 12 shots for the majority of the game. For the record, I could care less about who wins this series, I am not anti-Canucks or anti-Predators, I am anti-30 shots for both teams.

From a neutral perspective it is definitely one of the more boring series. Personally I'd say Rangers/caps or Hurricanes/Islanders is probably worse because there is such a competitive advantage.

The problem isn't your opinion. It's just you keep trying to tell everyone how bad these teams are. It just kind of derails the thread and ruins any conversation. Basically Canuck fans have endured every level of 'your team is shit' all year. First it was just a hot start; then it became unsustainable PDO; then it was easy 1st rd fodder; then it became the Predators are the worst team in the playoffs; now it's 'won't match up against the West giants'.

Most of us are happy to be here and last night the Canucks came in to a tough building and played a defensive ace of a game. Don't care if it was boring. This team has structure and discipline and they are well coached. Without Demko they're probably in too tough against a better team but they won't be an easy out for anyone.

VanGreenGuy

Aug 28, 2010
No, you are absolutely welcome to your opinion and I am certain that there are others that agree that compared to other series going on right now that this is not so entertaining for you all given no vested interest in either side.

But I'll tell you what, as someone who has a horse in the race with this tight checking gameplay has me on the edge of my seat from time to time. My muscles tense up during the mad scrambles around the net, and I'll even occasionally gasp when a forward from either side makes a great move only to be thwarted by a superb defensive play.

What I am calling out as "troll attempts" is to call both of these teams bad because they aren't playing the style of hockey you prefer to enjoy!

And I will wholeheartedly agree with you, I too am not fond of the low shots count from both teams kind of play. I love the run & gun style. I love the crash & bang style. But good defensive positioning helps teams secure wins, and this should not be considered bad because of an opinion (albeit a perfectly valid one) that it's not as exciting. This is not effective correlation in any sport and especially not hockey. And in my opinion, you're trolling on the merit of trying to force the correlation when none exists.

Edmonton, Vegas and Colorado are not having to play Nashville in Round 1. It would be impossible to say how those best-of-seven series would go because they will never happen. I would be equally unable to say that they would be held to a meager 12 shots on net, but I don't need to in order to qualify my opinion that if any of those three teams played Nashville in a similar capacity as Vancouver is, with their #1 goalie out of the series mind you, there is certainly a chance that shot totals would dip from your expectations... but that still doesn't exclusively identify them as poor hockey teams. Give your head a shake.

Man who cares if random HF user finds a series boring :laugh:

What is even the point of arguing with this random HF user

Series has kicked ass.
It's not about caring if someone finds the series boring. Engagement is what matters! I'm not trying to argue with S E P H, I'm just participating in some constructive conversation doing my level best not to devolve into some garbage pissing match 😆

I don't know if I'd go as far to agree that the series has kicked ass, but it is far from boring from my personal observation.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
constructive criticism on someone foaming about not finding something entertaining. just leave it be and let random hf user dig himself in and yell into the oblivion instead of giving it attention. and enjoy the series like the rest of us are.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t believe in curses, but…
The Canucks have had to deal with an injury to their starting goalie in each of the last 4 times they appeared in the playoffs. -Schneider in 2013 -Miller in 2015 -Markstrom in 2020 -Demko in 2024

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They need to up the fine to one whipping by car antenna right in the nuts. That'll be more convincing then 2k.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Canucks have the lowest expected goals in the playoffs (outside of Dallas/Vegas who have only played 2 games). And that's with Nashville turtling for most of the first 2 games and letting the Canucks fire away.
Canucks are 8th in xG 5on5 and 7th in xG per 60 5on5. Also, the Canucks xGF% this series is second to only Dallas.

Using all strength xG doesn't control for the amount of powerplays for each team.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not a lot of goals but this series has been tense for every minute, there hasn't been a moment anyone has felt safe. Even when Nashville was up a few in game 2, the Canucks could have scored a few quick goals and evened things up.

Reactions: bh53

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Score first, win game. Preds don't have the horses for a comeback if you make them have to push. More surprised that Vancouver's offense has continued to be so anemic.

yeah.. honestly just waiting to see Pettersson loosen up and start hitting the net. the fact the canucks have won 2 w/o him playing well speaks a bit to where this team can go imo.

Thought Mikheyev had a good game last night, one of the few standouts for 'Nucks fwds.

he always hustles, plays decently defensively, but then also has the play die on his stick in the offensive zone. absolutely snake bitten this year

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
PDO 113.4

Their high PDO has been unsustainable all season.

They can't keep wining like this. It will regress to the mean. It's unsustainable.
It regressed a long time ago.

Pre-christmas PDO was 104 (which is what made HF so angry)
Post Christmas has been almost right at 100.

You are correct PDO was 113 in game 3, but why not mention is was 77 in game 2??

Whining about a single game's PDO is dumb, it does not matter. It tracks very general statistical trends over long periods of time.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
he always hustles, plays decently defensively, but then also has the play die on his stick in the offensive zone. absolutely snake bitten this year
Yeah that definitely makes sense. That play where he had the puck on the 2-on-1, held onto it and almost set up the tap in showed some impressive patience.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
It regressed a long time ago.

Pre-christmas PDO was 104 (which is what made HF so angry)
Post Christmas has been almost right at 100.

You are correct PDO was 113 in game 3, but why not mention is was 77 in game 2??

Whining about a single game's PDO is dumb, it does not matter. It tracks very general statistical trends over long periods of time.
It was a joke. sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad