Prospect Info: Michael Keränen (5/22: Signed to 1 year contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Source

Michael Keranen, F

The Swedish-born forward who has excelled in the Finnish Elite League hardly stood out in the Minnesota Wild development camp. At 24, Keranen didn’t look more mature or more talented than the rest of the players. If he plays that way in the AHL, his tenure with the Wild won’t last very long.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
^Completely disagree with his assessment. I thought he looked head and shoulders above most in the scrimmage. Russo was raving about him too.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Did anyone else see him at the prospect scrimmages? I'm curious about your opinions.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He isn't exactly a FEL all-star like some Finns that have been jumping lately (like your Granlund) so we shouldn't wait the moon from the sky from him. He didin't get in relatively weak World Championships team from the NT camp, the decision was questioned but it was probably for a reason after all.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I can't help but laugh thinking of the people saying this kid will make the team out of camp. He will likely toil in the AHL and be back in Finland by January

Won't probably make it right away but when the injury bug strikes he's one of the only skilled top-6 like players on IOWA. He will be nice to have then.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can't help but laugh thinking of the people saying this kid will make the team out of camp. He will likely toil in the AHL and be back in Finland by January

I don't think I've seen anyone claim he's making the team out of camp. I do think he's a potential first injury call-up though.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

And you have never seem him play. There's talented players outside North america, you know? :shakehead

Keränen does have enough skill. Does he have enough spirit remains to be unseen. But skillwise, he's better than Coyle.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And you have never seem him play. There's talented players outside North america, you know? :shakehead

Keränen does have enough skill. Does he have enough spirit remains to be unseen. But skillwise, he's better than Coyle.

His puck handling and vision were definitely on display at the scrimmage. He had some sick passes, a couple of which ended up as goals for those he passed to.

One in particular that caught my eye was when he had the puck at the top of the right circle, he cut down and into the slot - taking all of the defenders with him, then he passes back against the grain to his linemate at the bottom of the circle who then was able to skate freely in on goal and took it shelf.

It was like he had eyes in the back of his head to get that pass away!

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He isn't exactly a FEL all-star like some Finns that have been jumping lately (like your Granlund) so we shouldn't wait the moon from the sky from him. He didin't get in relatively weak World Championships team from the NT camp, the decision was questioned but it was probably for a reason after all.
Except for that whole being the top point producer in the Finnish League last year.

He could definitely use a year in the AHL. But he does have skills. He is just not flashy and a late bloomer.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Except for that whole being the top point producer in the Finnish League last year.

He could definitely use a year in the AHL. But he does have skills. He is just not flashy and a late bloomer.

But if you wanted readier Player from Liiga, you would've signed Aaltonen, who just were just little slower because he had injuries. If young kid becomes what is "all-star" in league, sure, I have hopes that he cracks the NHL right away.

Not saying that Keränen is bad and PPG is very solid statistics, at some point, he definitely will deserve chance in the NHL, maybe next season. Just wanting to put the expectations down little a bit. He is really good player but not the next Granlund or Barkov of Finland at this point at least.. maybe he cracks the roster and proves me wrong though.

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Iowa Wild has sucked a big time, but how has Keränen played? Is there a chance that he would get a chance in NHL?

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
Iowa Wild has sucked a big time, but how has Keränen played? Is there a chance that he would get a chance in NHL?

He has been Okay !
In fairness to him, hard for any skilled guy to excel, isn't a defenceman on team that can make a tape to tape pass. Has to be frustrating for guys like him.

Minnesota TALKS about having 4 lines that can score, yet play Carter/Veuliex on 4th line, don't get it

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I know Keranen wouldn't have made a difference, but would have liked for Keranen to get some chances on RW with the Wild.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i hope last season was just an adjustment to north american hockey , i hope we re-sign him and he burns rubber this year! go keranen! go iowa wild!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I could see him at least trying for training camp, and maybe playing half a season in Iowa before going back to Finland, but that's based on absolutely nothing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
With Stewart gone, Pominville likely to be moved (my speculation) and Coyle at center, RW is looking thin. Schroeder might also want to move on since he's clearly behind Fontaine.

Keranen might develop into a decent 2nd line RW. Because this team needs more skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad