Prospect Info: Michael Keränen (5/22: Signed to 1 year contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I think players with no pedigree whatsoever wanting to dictate which role they get is always concerning. If he had conditions like that in the first place, he should have declined earlier. It showed he wasn't willing to work to get to a better spot and make a career for himself there. Do you think Granlund laid out conditions like that in 2011? No, he was put to the 3rd line, but got more ice time through his play. They didn't tell Keränen he would be eating popcorn, they just didn't promise him a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

Maybe he allready knew, that he would be going to camp in summer. So he decided to start training for it? Well, only himself and maybe his agent knows the truth. Granlund were drafted, so his situation was different.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Great signing!

Wouldnt he benefit more from playing NA hockey in Iowa rather than playing FEL hockey if his goal is to play in NHL? If he doesnt make the team after camp that is.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something.

I actually don't think the whole thing is that strange at all but actually a rather crafty move. It looks like Keränen wasn't too keen to sign a deal that would basically mean him spending a year in AHL with no real change to get called up - that's why he was looking to develop himself for another year before trying out for NHL.

It seems like Wild had the inside track to sign Keränen now instead of him choosing from possibly multiple offers next year. That's because Wild had comfortable relationship with IFK (they loaned Endras before through Bäckström I think, and saw Granlund being handled well) so they were able to offer a deal that allows Keränen either to make it or stay home and earn more money. Wild still has his rights and the signing bonus is probably not that huge. Teams are always fighting for free prospects, like the college free agents, so something like this isn't such a big deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild denied that clause, so I doubt the Wild want him going back to Finland if he doesn't make the team out of camp. Playing in Iowa would do him good, the Wild know this.

Remember, just because a player doesn't make a team out of camp, doesn't mean he can't be called up. If he goes to Finland, he can't be recalled.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Those that have seen him more, how likely do you see Keränen making it in the NHL? And if so, when? He's skilled and fast, that's for sure, but there's a lot of competition for a top-6 spot, and he's no use for a lower line spot. Also he's still very slight of build.

Great signing!

Wouldnt he benefit more from playing NA hockey in Iowa rather than playing FEL hockey if his goal is to play in NHL? If he doesnt make the team after camp that is.

He would benefit from playing in the AHL for sure if he doesn't make the team out of camp. He's a skill player that will probably need some time learn the NA style of hockey. He won't learn that by going back to Finland.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
Those that have seen him more, how likely do you see Keränen making it in the NHL? And if so, when? He's skilled and fast, that's for sure, but there's a lot of competition for a top-6 spot, and he's no use for a lower line spot. Also he's still very slight of build.

In FEL he showed good strength on the puck although his figure is from the lighter end of the scale. He plays smart but also competes hard for the puck and was one of the best fore and back checkers on his team. The thing that surprised me was the completeness of his game, I knew he was very skilled but he excelled in other areas as well.

I don't have the knowledge of his training motivation and drive for improving himself. In the past the players from Ilves have been accused of wasting their talent by not training like professionals and not being ambitious enough. Most notable of these players might be Jesse Niinimäki, who was drafted 15th in 2002 but never made it and has struggled even in FEL.

Considering what Granlund was able to do physically in one summer, Keränen does have a chance of playing in the NHL. Maybe not next season but the one after that, depending on how much work he is willing to put into it. Although I'm not sure if Wild will be the team where he breaks the line up.

spedico

May 13, 2012
Tampere, Finland
I don't have the knowledge of his training motivation and drive for improving himself.
Keränen has stated many times that his biggest dream is to play in the NHL. The reason he didn't attend WC was because he wanted to train instead to be able to play in NHL 15-16. So the training motivation won't be a problem. I bet he'll be a dominating player in AHL if he ends up there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wild denied that clause, so I doubt the Wild want him going back to Finland if he doesn't make the team out of camp. Playing in Iowa would do him good, the Wild know this.

Remember, just because a player doesn't make a team out of camp, doesn't mean he can't be called up. If he goes to Finland, he can't be recalled.

Actually I think it's part of the transfer agreement that players should be offered to the European club they had a contract with, should they not make the NHL club straight away. However, if the player wishes to play in the AHL as well, then it's okay(clubs have usually had no problem with this).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He's older enough where he can actually bulk up in a single summer. The real question is how he can transition to the NA style. As we have seen with a lot of players, it does take some time.

Still, Fletcher adds again a player who brings a skill set that fits right into a gap that we have in our prospect pool.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Not sure about this, but if Keränen does not make it to the roster from training camp and goes back to Finland he'd be RFA, but if he plays in AHL or Wild he'd become UFA, right?
Or am I just plain wrong about this?

So if he goes back to HIFK and has an superb season while bulking up then Wild could still match any offer he gets?

If that's the case it's a very smart move from Fletcher.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not sure about this, but if Keränen does not make it to the roster from training camp and goes back to Finland he'd be RFA, but if he plays in AHL or Wild he'd become UFA, right?
Or am I just plain wrong about this?

So if he goes back to HIFK and has an superb season while bulking up then Wild could still match any offer he gets?

If that's the case it's a very smart move from Fletcher.

He should be an RFA regardless of whether or not he spends the season in NA or Finland. The contract he signed is a 1 year ELC, and he will be an RFA after the season.

tomthestone*

Pretty sure international undrafted free agents go UFA after one year. Damien Brunner hopped from Detroit to New Jersey after his first season. Pretty sure the Red Wings didn't get a chance to match nor did they receive any compensation for losing Brunner.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Glad to hear that the agreement is untrue, it would not make sense to cross over and not stay to learn the NA game unless your promised a spot... if koivu/granlund did it so should he, should be his thought process to everything.

he will have heavy 1st line + PP time to showcase his skills in an almost equal league, just smaller ice.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Nice to hear that he goes to Iowa if he doesnt make the team. Lets hope he bulks up alot this off-season and becomes ready physically for NHL duty.

Good luck.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i hope hes headed for iowa, i dont see a current wild roster spot for him. i would think zucker would land a spot before keranen.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I hope that he make the team if he earns it, if he is going through that same training that Granlund does, it dosen't hurt his chances.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Keränen's agents Todd Diamond confirmed that it's up to Keränen to decide where he will play if he goes to AHL and gets "stuck" there. Wild are telling the truth and HIFK are selling a fantasy": http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1288697893440.html
Interesting.

Even if Keranen never makes the NHL and goes back to Finland permanently, 1 year in the AHL would do him well, even if it will cost him a good chunk of money. It would make him that much better if he ever goes back to Finland.

I'm really happy with this signing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Interesting.

Even if Keranen never makes the NHL and goes back to Finland permanently, 1 year in the AHL would do him well, even if it will cost him a good chunk of money. It would make him that much better if he ever goes back to Finland.

I'm really happy with this signing.

Any idea's on what he makes in Finland in a given year? 150K to 300K(in US dollars)?

He likely got a 90K signing bonus. So with 60K AHL salary he will get paid a total of 150K for his first year with the Wild. So it may not be as huge of a paycut.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Any idea's on what he makes in Finland in a given year? 150K to 300K(in US dollars)?

He likely got a 90K signing bonus. So with 60K AHL salary he will get paid a total of 150K for his first year with the Wild. So it may not be as huge of a paycut.

Somewhere closer to 350k

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The Wild seem like an odd choice for the guy. Granted we've got a ton of Finnish connections, but there are certainly easier teams to try break into for a skilled winger.

Oh well, good for us atleast.

That's kind of my first reaction. He sounds like a good player, but a 24-year-old breaking into the NHL out of nowhere is a long shot. I'm thinking of Fabian Brunnstrom, big name that fizzled out quickly in the NHL. Brunner was decent in the lockout season and regressed the next season as well.

Sounds like a decent signing in principle, but at this stage I just can't see him making the Wild roster out of camp unless he can come in and showcase himself as someone who can really hound the puck in a bottom six role. More or less do what Haula did.

The only way he would make the NHL roster is bottom six wing. Wild have Parise-Pommer-Coyle-Nino for the top six already. If they sign Vanek, that bumps someone to the third line. They have Cooke as well as the rights to Zucker and Fontaine for the bottom six. Plus potentially bringing back McCormick.

If they pencil him into the NHL, maybe they move Zucker or Fontaine. Maybe it's just a play to push Zucker. Dunno.

Seems like a long shot to me.

Keränen's agents Todd Diamond confirmed that it's up to Keränen to decide where he will play if he goes to AHL and gets "stuck" there. Wild are telling the truth and HIFK are selling a fantasy": http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1288697893440.html

So it sounds like he wants to come over and compete for a spot, but if he doesn't get a call-up in the first 2-3 months, he might bolt. That's not a bad risk for the Wild IMO.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That's kind of my first reaction. He sounds like a good player, but a 24-year-old breaking into the NHL out of nowhere is a long shot. I'm thinking of Fabian Brunnstrom, big name that fizzled out quickly in the NHL. Brunner was decent in the lockout season and regressed the next season as well.

Its not completely out of norm for a player to come over and have success though. Soderberg and Zuccarrello are two recent examples of early 20 Undrafted UFAs to have success. Heck even a Bruner 25-35 point guy is still a useful NHL player.

He could easily go full bust like Brunnstrom or above average player like Zuccarello. Or somewhere in between like Brunner or Soderberg.

Certainly a good risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad