Prospect Info: Michael Keränen (5/22: Signed to 1 year contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
He looks like a shooter from that video - it's a start.

That's why those are highlights, Granlund scored what 20 goal on his last season in Finland. Is he really a shooter, because I haven't seen any of his games?

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Another Finn?

They'll have to start direct flights between Minneapolis and Helsinki pretty soon. :laugh:

It's a good depth signing, and from the numbers that he's put up so far I'm eager to see what he can do in North America.

With the amount of Finns in this state, Finntown up north, I'm always surprised they don't. :S

Sounds like a win-win really, low risk, potentially high reward and it keeps the MinneSuomi pipeline open as well.

J22*

Pretty sure that one year deal was all they could give him considering he was an undrafted UFA.

The one year deal is because of his age, not because he was undrafted. The length of ELC's is strictly based on age.
AGE LENGTH
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25+ No Restriction *

* A one-year entry-level restriction applies to drafted players from Europe aged 25 to 27

If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something. It's most likely just something they made up to appease the HIFK fans though. Wouldn't be surprised if he 'makes the team' out of camp and then gets sent to Iowa after a couple of games.

The Wild will retain his RFA rights until he is 27

So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?

i'd imagine if he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he will want a 1-way?

All ELC's have to be 2-way contracts.

Pretty sure international undrafted free agents go UFA after one year. Damien Brunner hopped from Detroit to New Jersey after his first season. Pretty sure the Red Wings didn't get a chance to match nor did they receive any compensation for losing Brunner.

Brunner became a UFA because he was 27 years old, had nothing to do with being an international undrafted free agent.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
That's why those are highlights, Granlund scored what 20 goal on his last season in Finland. Is he really a shooter, because I haven't seen any of his games?

He's a passer too. A bit like Jussi Jokinen. He does have better shot though. Granlund lite but with bigger frame?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
He's a passer too. A bit like Jussi Jokinen. He does have better shot though. Granlund lite but with bigger frame?

Granlund did start shooting more in the Chicago series goal posts are not his friend :help:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Keränen's agents Todd Diamond confirmed that it's up to Keränen to decide where he will play if he goes to AHL and gets "stuck" there. Wild are telling the truth and HIFK are selling a fantasy": http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1288697893440.html
Didn't a bunch of Finland people say that about Haula too last year? That if he didn't make the team out of camp, that Haula planned on going to Finland instead... Haula quickly denied that when the rumor got to him... saying he had no plans of going back to Finland. His goal was to play in the NHL... period, whatever it takes.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
According to CapGeek:
http://capgeek.com/player/3448
AHL Salary: $70,000
NHL Salary: $792,500
Signing bonus: $92,500

I personally would have preferred if his AHL salary was higher to maybe entice him to play in Iowa if he doesn't make the roster. I think it would help him adjust to NA hockey. Definitely help an Iowa team, that couldn't score in a sorority house with a pitcher of Roofie Coladas.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
According to CapGeek:

I personally would have preferred if his AHL salary was higher to maybe entice him to play in Iowa if he doesn't make the roster. I think it would help him adjust to NA hockey. Definitely help an Iowa team, that couldn't score in a sorority house with a pitcher of Roofie Coladas.
If he's really serious about wanting to make it to the NHL, he'll go to Iowa. If not... then he isn't as serious about the NHL as he claims IMO.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Granlund did start shooting more in the Chicago series goal posts are not his friend :help:

Keränen is better shooter than Granny. What I meant "Granny Lite" is that he can pass too. Doesn't have Granlunds vision, but by no means he is no slouch as a passer. If he gets some weight he really could be a very good player for the Wild. As HIFK fan I'm very pissed off that he got NHL deal this year. As a Wild fan I think he could make a difference, at least on PP.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
According to CapGeek:

He probably makes 4-5 times more if he goes to FEL than AHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe he is just confident that he make the team out of the camp.

At 176lbs, I have a hard time seeing him make the team out of camp. He has to adapt to the NA game which is a lot more physical, and he's just a pole out there. Not going to be able to handle both right now IMO.

I can't see him pushing anyone out of the lineup as is... Zucker is ahead of him too IMO. Now if he can put on some weight... MAYBE... Still see him starting in Iowa though.

He probably makes 4-5 times more if he goes to FEL than AHL.
Going to the AHL would be more of an investment in himself though, as he would be able to both work on his game against at least equal level of competition, while putting on weight to get to the NHL where he would get paid most if he becomes the player he thinks he can.

Going back to the FEL will be more lucrative currently, but long run would hurt his chances of developing further than he currently has towards the NHL at this point. He's reached the point where he needs to learn the NA game.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I don't see the point of return to FEL either, he's stated NHL is his dream and he's not getting any younger so a shuffle between Europe and NA doesn't make sense at his age. It's probably going to take him a year to adapt to NA hockey no matter what, return to Finland would just delay that adaptation time further.

The thing also is that he now clearly is/will be in contact with Granlund and must have firsthand information from Granlund how being (among) the best player(s) in FEL doesn't mean NHL-readiness, and dues need likely to be paid in AHL, and that spending an extra year in FEL probably isn't going to further the NHL dream in any other area than maybe having more time to build strenght. Which he can do playing in NA/AHL as well.

I think the deal is negotiated in a way that enables Keränen to return upon request (or I think that clause might come straight from the agreements between NHL and FEL?) in the case that Keränen is not able to show enough in AHL, some guys just never get their game working in NA hockey, isn't called up and it seems NHL career is unrealistic. At that point Keränen would probably return to HIFK. Can't imagine him giving up before giving it a real shot over full or almost full season.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Low risk move with some potential..cant complain here. Doubt he makes the team..probably going right back to Finland but can't hurt to try..sometimes these moves work(Backstrom) sometimes they don't(endras).

*sorry my examples were both goalies..couldnt think of other Euro UFA's off the top of my head

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Fortunately, adding weight is the easiest thing to do.. I mean compared to skill, vision, IQ, speed, character,hands etc. Just take your vitamins and lift some iron until you throw up. Interesting to see how it goes. I'm saying that there's a chance. Propably via Iowa though.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Low risk move with some potential..cant complain here. Doubt he makes the team..probably going right back to Finland but can't hurt to try..sometimes these moves work(Backstrom) sometimes they don't(endras).

*sorry my examples were both goalies..couldnt think of other Euro UFA's off the top of my head

Dont be so pessimistic. I think he play well in Iowa. 40-50 points, and gets some call-up thru the season.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Might make sense for him to go back to Finland and then sign another short contract after the season with higher AHL salary if that is possible?

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Guys please give me an update how's Keränen is doing out there in the camp. I really hope he'll make it to the team, but it'll be damn hard since theres no use to have him in the 4th. You'll love him I'm sure of that

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Guys please give me an update how's Keränen is doing out there in the camp. I really hope he'll make it to the team, but it'll be damn hard since theres no use to have him in the 4th. You'll love him I'm sure of that

Well, the development camp hasn't started yet for the Wild (starts tomorrow). You'll propably find more info about him on the development camp thread, once the camp starts.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Does anyone see this guy cracking the Wild roster? I'm especially doubtful now with the Almond signing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone see this guy cracking the Wild roster? I'm especially doubtful now with the Almond signing.

I don't think the Almond signing has any effect on whether Keranen makes the roster. If he does, it will be in a top 9(likely 3rd line) role. I would say there is a decent chance Keranen see's NHL time this year.

If Almond makes the roster, its solely as a 12th/13th forward.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If Keränen adjusts well, I definitely think he'll crack the Wild roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad