Prospect Info: Michael Keränen (5/22: Signed to 1 year contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Not surprised he won't go to Iowa. He gets paid better in Finland than in the AHL.

We'll see what happens but personally I think him making the team is a long shot. I also question his attitude after his behavior with the NT this spring.

Nothing wrong turning down on a C level tournament. Yeah, he could've showcased himself there but things could've went other way, too. He could've had a terrible tournament with bad players around and never get an NHL deal. Agreed that it's a long shot he makes the team but let's hope he surprises us. It's a fair deal for both parties.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something. It's most likely just something they made up to appease the HIFK fans though. Wouldn't be surprised if he 'makes the team' out of camp and then gets sent to Iowa after a couple of games.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
It is the national team. He was one of the best forwards in the training camp, but was not selected to the team. When there were some denials due to injuries (true or false), he was offered a reserve player place in the team, but Michael said no. He stated that instead of eating popcorn in Minsk for a couple of weeks he will focus on physical training to be ready for NHL.

*His agent stated. Keränen never commented on it.

I personally didn't fault his behaviour at all. Him being not selected was BS to begin with, and then one day after being cut being offered a reserve spot was just jerking him around anyway. I had absolutely no issue with his decision.

I am surprised about the return to Finland option. Most players do need to pay their dues in AHL and one would think a player is willing to sacrifice one year of earnings for the greater good. But, his career, his decision.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The whole NT debacle could stem from this deal being in the making already. Perhaps the rather cheap-sounding explanation actually was true. He knew at that time that he was heading to a training camp on fall, so he decided to start bulking up immediately since he was not promised any guaranteed ice time.

But even if it was simply him telling the out-of-touch coach to stick it where the sun don't shine, I've absolutely no issue with it either.

As a side note, it'd be rather funny if he and Teuvo Teräväinen managed to make their respective rosters at the end of camp and stay up as well. It'd certainly make said coach look pretty silly.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Would be nice if he played in Iowa. Especially if we sign UFA winger this summer I don't see Keranen making the team but having him and Zucker as a call ups would be tremendous. We all know that at some point the injuries will hit us like always.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something. It's most likely just something they made up to appease the HIFK fans though. Wouldn't be surprised if he 'makes the team' out of camp and then gets sent to Iowa after a couple of games.

He's signing an ELC. So the Wild should hold his RFA rights until 27 as long as they keep qualifying an offer.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
It is the national team. He was one of the best forwards in the training camp, but was not selected to the team. When there were some denials due to injuries (true or false), he was offered a reserve player place in the team, but Michael said no. He stated that instead of eating popcorn in Minsk for a couple of weeks he will focus on physical training to be ready for NHL.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
By the way how is he on penalty shots? If he has Datsyuk like hands i would expect quite good or is he one of those who for some reason can't score like Gaborik for example?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
*His agent stated. Keränen never commented on it.

I personally didn't fault his behaviour at all. Him being not selected was BS to begin with, and then one day after being cut being offered a reserve spot was just jerking him around anyway. I had absolutely no issue with his decision.

I am surprised about the return to Finland option. Most players do need to pay their dues in AHL and one would think a player is willing to sacrifice one year of earnings for the greater good. But, his career, his decision.

Could be a business decision. He could play out his ELC year in Finland if he doesn't make the NHL making better money than in the AHL, and sign a two way deal as an RFA next year that would pay him closer to what he would make in Finland in the AHL.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Sounds like a decent signing in principle, but at this stage I just can't see him making the Wild roster out of camp unless he can come in and showcase himself as someone who can really hound the puck in a bottom six role. More or less do what Haula did.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like a decent signing in principle, but at this stage I just can't see him making the Wild roster out of camp unless he can come in and showcase himself as someone who can really hound the puck in a bottom six role. More or less do what Haula did.

I think he's got a decent chance at making the team, atleast out of camp. Seems like there is going to be a 3rd/4th line open(espiecially if the Wild don't sign Vanek or a different top 6 type winger).

Seems like being promised NHL or Finland, and his age, would give him an inside track over guys like Zucker and Bulmer who would can go to Iowa with ease.

They could easily give him 5 to 10 games to see how he is working out and send him to IFK if it doesn't.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?

i'd imagine if he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he will want a 1-way?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think he's got a decent chance at making the team, atleast out of camp. Seems like there is going to be a 3rd/4th line open(espiecially if the Wild don't sign Vanek or a different top 6 type winger).

Seems like being promised NHL or Finland, and his age, would give him an inside track over guys like Zucker and Bulmer who would can go to Iowa with ease.

They could easily give him 5 to 10 games to see how he is working out and send him to IFK if it doesn't.

I can't say anything for the guy because the only time I've ever seen him play was via that short youtube video, but that's a tough road to climb, IMO.

He's going to have to have the skating, aggressiveness, and ability to learn a completely foreign defensive scheme in short order to make the roster in that type of spot (bottom six wing). All the while at the NHL level. I wouldn't hold my breathe.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I can't say anything for the guy because the only time I've ever seen him play was via that short youtube video, but that's a tough road to climb, IMO.

He's going to have to have the skating, aggressiveness, and ability to learn a completely foreign defensive scheme in short order to make the roster in that type of spot (bottom six wing). All the while at the NHL level. I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Hopefully Granlund can get him upto speed when they are training together(as was posted).

SM-Liiga is as good, if not better than the AHL. And the guy was PPG there. I don't think its out of the question this move was made to ensure they had a reason to keep Zucker developing in the AHL.

They could also keep him as 13th forward for a bit while he adjusts, allowing him to practice while getting in a game every 3.

More I think about it, the more I bet he does at least break camp with the Wild unless he looks completely lost. Whether he sticks all season will depend on his adjustment.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?

i'd imagine if he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he will want a 1-way?

Russo said that arrangement is untrue?

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

I think it works just like Teräväinen's deal with CHI. He went to NA after his team was eliminated in FEL. FEL ends sooner than NHL, even with play offs.

Last edited:

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
I heard about this guy on one of the speculation forums and have been interested in him ever since. I'm really thrilled they signed him!

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
depth skill. really nothing to hate about this signing.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So does he play first line minutes with Phillips this next year? Phillips and Keranen duo? We got the shooter and setup man

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Another Finn?

They'll have to start direct flights between Minneapolis and Helsinki pretty soon. :laugh:

It's a good depth signing, and from the numbers that he's put up so far I'm eager to see what he can do in North America.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On twitter idk unless I'm reading it wrong.

Miika Arponen ‏@MiikaArponen 3 t
@Russostrib Hah! Keränen's Finnish team IFK just announced that he will be returning to Finland if he doesn't make the NHL roster from camp.

Michael Russo @Russostrib
@MiikaArponen wild just said that arrangement is untrue

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Nothing wrong turning down on a C level tournament. Yeah, he could've showcased himself there but things could've went other way, too. He could've had a terrible tournament with bad players around and never get an NHL deal. Agreed that it's a long shot he makes the team but let's hope he surprises us. It's a fair deal for both parties.

I think players with no pedigree whatsoever wanting to dictate which role they get is always concerning. If he had conditions like that in the first place, he should have declined earlier. It showed he wasn't willing to work to get to a better spot and make a career for himself there. Do you think Granlund laid out conditions like that in 2011? No, he was put to the 3rd line, but got more ice time through his play. They didn't tell Keränen he would be eating popcorn, they just didn't promise him a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

Him going back to Finland as HIFK announced is on line with his previous behavior. I know the Wild said it's not true but I doubt HIFK made it up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad