Michael Grabner

AndThereGoesGrabner*

BTW, when Grabs was getting big minutes on the PK, we led the league in shorties, today he's on the PK maybe for 30 seconds while Brock Nelson is on for a minute and a half. Capuano is an freaken idiot!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
BTW, when Grabs was getting big minutes on the PK, we led the league in shorties, today he's on the PK maybe for 30 seconds while Brock Nelson is on for a minute and a half. Capuano is an freaken idiot!!

We're 2nd in the NHL in shorthanded goals and have been over 90% for the past while without him.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
That was before the surgery. Last year he got 3 breakaways a game, this season he just hasn't had the same speed.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nah, they need young fast legs like Grabner!

What does being fast have to do with anything? He can't finish, can't pass, can't possess the puck. What is he bringing the NJD or to our lineup? CHANCES and breakaways he won't finish on! Boy, what a recipe for success that is. It's worked so well for him in years past that he hasn't had a 30 goal season in 4 seasons.

We would be 1st and then some with Grabner!

No. Grabner, setting aside his 30 goal season, has averaged 1.66 SHG a season. So we'd likely be tied for the top spot, perhaps 1 goal ahead. So over the course of a season, he's worth exactly 1 more goal SH...but that's going to be part of your argument for why he needs to play?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The "can't finish" argument here is kind of mindless.

Forget this season, it was said before. In seasons past, NO ONE got as many chances to score as Grabner. Would we be happy if he got less breakaways? He did not convert on a high percentage but he converted to the equivalent of a 20+ goal scorer a season. Everyone here wants him to have a 50% shooting percentage but we can see from the shootout it is not that easy, and in the shootout guys can slow to an almost stop, have no back pressure, no hooks.

This year, even with all his injury issues and late start, lack of usual speed burst, he has scored at an 82 game pace of 18.5 goals (7g in 31 games a 12.7 shooting %).
Disregard his 34 goal first year, he had a few hattie and some EN to go with breakaway scoring. Say it's an aberration. Had a 14.9 shooting %.
2011-12 20 goals in 78 games played, 11.5 shooting %.
Lockout season 2012-13 equivalent to a 29 goal 82 game season (16g in 45 games, 14.8 shooting % ).
2013-14 Olympic year equivalent to a 15 goal 82 goal season (12g in 64 games played 8.8 shooting %). This was really his worst season up until this one where he has been injured and started late. Remember, he does not get power play time and never has.

Take these numbers into consideration, the guy is a 20+ goal scorer most years and you don't throw those kinds of players on the trash heap.
Really, he never converts? His shooting % is close to average and his goal scoring per game played would be 2nd highest on the team over the period to John Tavares. Let's dump 'em, he's useless.:sarcasm:

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Not sure where any of you guys are getting the notion that Grabner isn't a good player who should not only be a lock to be in the lineup, but also should get more minutes. So many of you seem to think Grabner has been worse this year and isn't a good goal scorer. The numbers don't support that. Just this year, Grabner has scored 1.1 even strength goals/60 minutes. To put that into some perspective, John Tavares has had 1.0 G/60 each of the past two seasons. Here's a post about Grabner that I made in another thread:
If you think Grabner is only good at being fast you clearly must not have watched a lot of Michael Grabner. I bet you must think "He blows every chance he gets and he hasn't been a good goal scorer since his fluke rookie year blah blah blah!!!" Since the 2011-2012 season, AKA after Grabs' 34 goal season, Grabner is 28th in the league in even strength Goals/60min amongst all skaters with more than 2500 mins. His 1.0 G/60 is the same as guys like Tavares, Gaborik, Bobby Ryan, Couture, P.Kane, Steen, and Pavelski's. Freakin' Ovechkin is only at 1.1 G/60 in that same time span. So yeah, Michael Grabner is still a really good goal scorer. His biggest problem with scoring his lack of playing time, especially on the power play. Now, that's not all Grabner adds. He's an ELITE penalty killer. In that same time span, Grabner has the fifth lowest shorthanded CA60 (Corsi against/60) in the league amongst all skaters with more than 350 minutes of PK time. That means that there are only four guys in the NHL that let up fewer shots on the penalty kill than Grabner. His shorthanded CF% is SECOND in the league. He's a solid player and should never be benched on this team.

If numbers aren't really your thing, here's a visual representation of how good Grabs is:
673712.png

BroadwayJay*

Not sure where any of you guys are getting the notion that Grabner isn't a good player who should not only be a lock to be in the lineup, but also should get more minutes. So many of you seem to think Grabner has been worse this year and isn't a good goal scorer. The numbers don't support that. Just this year, Grabner has scored 1.1 even strength goals/60 minutes. To put that into some perspective, John Tavares has had 1.0 G/60 each of the past two seasons. Here's a post about Grabner that I made in another thread:

If numbers aren't really your thing, here's a visual representation of how good Grabs is:
673712.png

Ice-time is his biggest weakness. He doesn't get enough of it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

673712.png

Very cool post but Grabner just is not a first liner on this team. You've got Tavares, Okposo, and Bailey up at first line doing fine as of now. Sure Okposo needs to shake the rust off but he will. Second line consists of Strome-Lee-Nelson and Grabner just fits on the third line as of now without Grabovski. He has chemistry with Frans and should continue to stay there.

The only way I see Grabner getting more ice time is if Cappy maybe moves Nelson down to the third line but he has been his best with Strome. I don't see how Grabner can get more ice time when there are just better hockey players on the team as of now.

BroadwayJay*

Very cool post but Grabner just is not a first liner on this team. You've got Tavares, Okposo, and Bailey up at first line doing fine as of now. Sure Okposo needs to shake the rust off but he will. Second line consists of Strome-Lee-Nelson and Grabner just fits on the third line as of now without Grabovski. He has chemistry with Frans and should continue to stay there.

The only way I see Grabner getting more ice time is if Cappy maybe moves Nelson down to the third line but he has been his best with Strome. I don't see how Grabner can get more ice time when there are just better hockey players on the team as of now.

I don't think T2R is saying he's a first liner, nor is that what the HERO chart is saying.

I think the issue is that Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas are not better players, but because of an obsession with "roles"; superior players like Grabner have to sit.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY

I never said that Grabner should be on the first line. If he was actually going to get regular third line minutes, I'd be happy with that. As you can see on the graph, he's been getting the minutes of a fourth liner.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't think T2R is saying he's a first liner, nor is that what the HERO chart is saying.

I think the issue is that Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas are not better players, but because of an obsession with "roles"; superior players like Grabner have to sit.

Bu.. Bu.. Matt Martin hits people and strikes fear into his opponents whenever he touches the ice. He should be protecting Tavares on the first line!! :laugh:

I never said that Grabner should be on the first line. If he was actually going to get regular third line minutes, I'd be happy with that. As you can see on the graph, he's been getting the minutes of a fourth liner.

Fair enough, I can agree totally then, just misread it.

BroadwayJay*

Bu.. Bu.. Matt Martin hits people and strikes fear into his opponents whenever he touches the ice. He should be protecting Tavares on the first line!! :laugh:.

That's why everyone has been too scared to even dare try to concuss Grabovsky. Thanks Matt!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

There are limits to what he can do. Forget about the whole breakaway thing - that's a nice element to his game, but also leads to one of my major complaints against Cappy's use of him. Grabner is actually good in the high slot, showing a deft eye for sneaking screened shots by goaltenders. Simply put he doesn't find himself in that position with the puck enough because he is finding himself on 2 on 1 breaks or handling the puck on the periphery of the offensive zone. He is not adept at converting on odd man rushes where the goaltender gets a solid look at his shot. Top of the slot, lots of bodies, and see his goal totals increase.

And I don't get all the Martin hate but whatever makes some people in here like their NHL95 is ok by me. But if you weren't so blinded by your dementia against a solid player you would notice it wasn't anyone on the 4th line robbing Grabner of his ice time. It's the guys on the first line, the same ones with the very unimpressive GF/GA average during 5 on 5. That again is a Cappy thing, a Johnny thing, and not a Matty thing. But who cares about actual TOI numbers because numbers are meaningle... OOPS!

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Scratching a guy who is very good defensively, scores at a clip thats in line with your average nhl 2ND liner, and is one of the best pkers on the planet makes absolutely no sense to me. None at all.

You people need to start looking at facts for once. You may say that he doesnt fit the system or that he misses all his chances or that he has stone hands....but guess what....the Facts indicate otherwise. The facts show that Grabs is a very good player who doesn't get any ice time. No icetime because Cappy has a hard on for watching guys skate around hard and not score.

Isles can't afford losing him just to keep a few inferior players and a dumbass of a coach happy.

BroadwayJay*

But if you weren't so blinded by your dementia against a solid player you would notice it wasn't anyone on the 4th line robbing Grabner of his ice time. It's the guys on the first line, the same ones with the very unimpressive GF/GA average during 5 on 5. That again is a Cappy thing, a Johnny thing, and not a Matty thing. But who cares about actual TOI numbers because numbers are meaningle... OOPS!

Grabner gets no ice time because he doesn't play.

No one is hating Matt Martin, but he really doesn't belong in the lineup over Michael Grabner.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ice-time is his biggest weakness. He doesn't get enough of it.

I don't think you see enough of an increase in his productivity to warrant giving him more ice time.

Scratching a guy who is very good defensively, scores at a clip thats in line with your average nhl 2ND liner, and is one of the best pkers on the planet makes absolutely no sense to me. None at all.

You people need to start looking at facts for once. You may say that he doesnt fit the system or that he misses all his chances or that he has stone hands....but guess what....the Facts indicate otherwise. The facts show that Grabs is a very good player who doesn't get any ice time. No icetime because Cappy has a hard on for watching guys skate around hard and not score.

Isles can't afford losing him just to keep a few inferior players and a dumbass of a coach happy.

Fitting a system is important.

What stat are you using to prove he doesn't have stone hands? What stat are you using to show he helps possession? What stat are you using to show how good of a passer he is?

Grabner is a fine player, and we're lucky to have him as an extra forward, but he does not fit on this team.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Grabner gets no ice time because he doesn't play.

No one is hating Matt Martin, but he really doesn't belong in the lineup over Michael Grabner.

In your opinion. Martin is a solid 4th liner who can play hockey. He also wears down opponents.

I'm assuming that advanced stats point to Grabner being superior over Martin but I wonder how much what Martin does contribute to overall team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad