Michael Grabner

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I am very much a Bailey guy but am a Grabner fan as well.. you can't judge Grabner on just one game, that is not fair. Let him get back into the flow that was only his 6th game this year after a long layoff. I also don't think that we should be comparing them as an either/or, they are different types of players and both should be in the lineup. I honestly like Grabner on an energy or checking line plus PK. Either with Frans or 4th line… To me Bailey is more the complimentary player who should be playing with skilled players such as JT because he is defensively responsible, has excellent vision(quoting JT), and can create scoring chances but so far has not been a finisher himself.

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
The returns for Bailey and Grabner are just not worth it. We are finally competitive, have solid forward and D prospects. As of now i believe we should run with this team. Grabovski moved to top line. Schuffle the lines and whose cold comes out.
Competition is good and we wont be 100% healthy come playoff time. Depth is important. stay the course and right the 1st line

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's rounding into form and getting his timing back, which has been huge for our PK because it seems like he's the other one who knows how to cover the points.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The returns for Bailey and Grabner are just not worth it. We are finally competitive, have solid forward and D prospects. As of now i believe we should run with this team. Grabovski moved to top line. Schuffle the lines and whose cold comes out.
Competition is good and we wont be 100% healthy come playoff time. Depth is important. stay the course and right the 1st line

None of Bailey, Grabner, Grabovski are 1st line wingers. Grabovski is not even a winger, or has not been able to show that he is in terms of being able to produce offense from that spot.
All there are a compromise, with Bailey right now being the most productive.
Sitting Bailey means moving a lesser Grabovski to his spot which is what Cappy wants to do instead of use Nelson or Lee on LW1.

Rotation is fine for 2nd & 3rd line, but now that 1st line is producing, do not mess with it.
Keeping players happy is important but putting out the best lineup that gets wins is more important, not feelings.
Bailey should stay at LW1 until he loses it, meanwhile Grabner and Grabovski should rotate, staying with the hotter hand up to 3 straight games.
Another option is to have Zeeker sit out some and rotate Nelson or Grabovski to 4th line center.

jt91ko21

Dec 7, 2014
still not getting enough icetime.

i think its enough, grabner is not good enough with his play "without puck" to become 15 or more minutes.
3rd.Line tahts all, and thats not bad i think wen you play @the BEST team in the east!:sarcasm:;)

Grabner and Kulemin pure "runners" and "fighters" not an example of player who hold the puck in the zone.Booth have to bad hands i think for "more"

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
i think its enough, grabner is not good enough with his play "without puck" to become 15 or more minutes.
3rd.Line tahts all, and thats not bad i think wen you play @the BEST team in the east!:sarcasm:;)

Grabner and Kulemin pure "runners" and "fighters" not an example of player who hold the puck in the zone.Booth have to bad hands i think for "more"
What are you talking about?
Kulemin can be classified as a defensive forward who have adequate offensive skills that can be activated both on the rush or strong offensive zone forechecking.

Grabner is a skill/finesse forward who uses some of his plus skill (++ speed/skating) for both offense on the rush and defense in the flow.

Both are middle 6 forwards that are role players or complimentary. To say they have bad hands is inaccurate, to say they do not play a puck control game is correct, but in their role, acceptable. Not every forward can hold the puck like Tavares can. You can not build complimentary forward lines with all the forwards being puck control players, it is one of the reasons that Crosby has so many problems finding good line mates, he demands having the puck, he needs to be played with pure shooters.

I like the role that Grabner and Kulemin play. They are useful to our two way game, play hard.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Give Mr. Grabner some credit. He has gone out of his way lately to get physically involved in the games. 19 Hits over 12 games but you probably don't need the stats, which are only so accurate, to have noticed. I think he got the message from the long benching. Of course his hits aren't exactly Martin/Clutter level, but he's doing what he can and I see value in that. Physical investment in the games gets you involved on a personal level.

Maybe Bailey and Grabner will be able to move the spotlight to another player. Someone eventually needs to get moved based on roster space.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
For the first time in a very long time none of our top 13 forwards "suck".
They are not all firing on every cylinder right now but they all have contributions to winning.They are not a group of many All-Star types, but that may come with time as the kids continue to develop.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Give Mr. Grabner some credit. He has gone out of his way lately to get physically involved in the games. 19 Hits over 12 games but you probably don't need the stats, which are only so accurate, to have noticed. I think he got the message from the long benching. Of course his hits aren't exactly Martin/Clutter level, but he's doing what he can and I see value in that. Physical investment in the games gets you involved on a personal level.

Maybe Bailey and Grabner will be able to move the spotlight to another player. Someone eventually needs to get moved based on roster space.
I thought I read somewhere that he had bulked up in the offseason ...and it shows, although he seems a step slower. It seems he has embraced his role as a defensive player charged with carrying the puck out of our end due to his speed ( has the lowest offensive zone start% on the team at 31%). Consequently, he's not getting behind the d as much so far this season.I also see him use his speed in the neutral zone and follow through with hits. Like the way he's rounding his game out.

Definitely will be interesting to see how things shake out.
None of Bailey, Grabner, Grabovski are 1st line wingers. Grabovski is not even a winger, or has not been able to show that he is in terms of being able to produce offense from that spot.
All there are a compromise, with Bailey right now being the most productive.
Sitting Bailey means moving a lesser Grabovski to his spot which is what Cappy wants to do instead of use Nelson or Lee on LW1.

Rotation is fine for 2nd & 3rd line, but now that 1st line is producing, do not mess with it.
Keeping players happy is important but putting out the best lineup that gets wins is more important, not feelings.
Bailey should stay at LW1 until he loses it, meanwhile Grabner and Grabovski should rotate, staying with the hotter hand up to 3 straight games.
Another option is to have Zeeker sit out some and rotate Nelson or Grabovski to 4th line center.
I'm all for the rotation as it keeps everyone fresh and eager to get back in.

Considering how much ice time our 4th line gets , I wouldn't mind replacing Cizikas with Nelson, Grabo or Bailey( if he cools off) either. One of the main strengths of this lineup is that there's so much flexibility with the forwards on this roster. I think he needs to sit Nelson if he's hiding an injury and get Grabovski back in there.

Last edited:

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

spiroislesfan

Nov 15, 2011
M. Grabner

Hello All,

How come Grabner is not playing? Is he hurt or Tyler Kennedy is taking his place
on the lineup.

I really dont like Kennedy and I prefer Grabs to be in the lineup.. He brings speed and could change a hockey game. Sometimes I dont understand Capuano's moves...also sitting deHaan for Donovan? give me a break...You dress the guys that brought you to this position all year long...

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Hello All,

How come Grabner is not playing? Is he hurt or Tyler Kennedy is taking his place
on the lineup.

I really dont like Kennedy and I prefer Grabs to be in the lineup.. He brings speed and could change a hockey game. Sometimes I dont understand Capuano's moves...also sitting deHaan for Donovan? give me a break...You dress the guys that brought you to this position all year long...

Thanks,

Capuano has always seen Grabner as one of the more ependable players. He is a nice guy and easy to put in the pressbox and he had the ill fortune of being injured during most of this year's early season success. Bad luck, bad timing and a coach who doesn't really know what to do with him.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
His injuries have really hurt his speed this year and that was his calling card. Without those wheels he's just another middling player. He'll be traded next season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's a great guy, but he's not that good of a player and his game doesn't really incorporate teammates.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Kennedy has been as advertised, a hustling 3rd liner who will get under opponents skin. I appreciate what he brings versus 2015 Grabner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad