Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Last night was the first time that I can remember where MDC was deployed in an offensive role with offensive players. He has always been in a 3rd or 4th line capacity with other muckers.

He's smart, hard working, and defensively responsible. He did a nice job and maybe he can replicate that type of performance once in a while.
Yesterday was not at all the first time he was employed in the top six. Last season, he started the season in the top six (2nd line with Nelson and Bailey) before losing his job to Beauvillier. Subsequently, we especially saw him on the 3rd line, sometimes the 4th to finally be healthy scratch during the playoffs!

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Was his first full season in the league.
And all I said was it wasn't his first chance in such a role. And although it was his first full season in the NHL, we can't say it was a success. So much the better if he can bounce back. Having said that, I still have my doubts he could be a top six in the long run.

At best, he's another Dalgarno, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Dalgarno was a good player with us on the 3rd line for a few seasons. And I think these expectations are more realistic!

SI

Feb 16, 2013
And all I said was it wasn't his first chance in such a role. And although it was his first full season in the NHL, we can't say it was a success. So much the better if he can bounce back. Having said that, I still have my doubts he could be a top six in the long run.

At best, he's another Dalgarno, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Dalgarno was a good player with us on the 3rd line for a few seasons. And I think these expectations are more realistic!

I'd sign up for that, but I do not see that in the end for Michael. I hope I am wrong and the young man has finally turned it around and builds on the game versus the Pens. He has yet to register a shot on net this year.

For all the criticism on the rumors thread about not hitting on draft picks - the Dal Colle one is the one that hurts the most, because if he came through as bubble top 6 player - the team would be in better shape.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
So at this point according to Money Puck, MDC-Nelson-Eberle has been our most effective line this season (aside from that one game of Bellows/Pageau/Wahlstrom). They're also passing the eye test and the production test, with three 5v5 points in the last 4 games. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there when Beau comes back, as they weren't exactly cooking in the first few games this year (although the underlying stats were there)

This would be great news because I think either of the other two lines could really benefit from Beau's presence - Barzal and Pageau could both probably use someone who can keep up with them. Would love to see a Beau-Pageau-Bailey line, which by default would move Wahlstrom up with Barzy and Lee - I think those two need to be playing with someone who is willing to shoot the puck. Doubt it happens, and we probably just see Beau-Pageau-Wahlstrom and the same first line, but a boy can dream

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bottom line, MDC is a decent role player. That’s not why he was drafted 5th overall though . That being said, he found his role with the team. HOPEFULLY the Isles could find some scoring, MDC isn’t going to give us that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Have to agree with Butchie. MDC has found a spot on this team, but ideally, it shouldn't be the second line. He's never going to be a 30 goal scorer, like Butchie said. He's going to be a guy that plays a heavy game with hustle and 200ft savvy. Honestly, I feel like he's going to settle in as a Cizikas/Martin right in the middle clone. Too big to be agile like Cizikas and not physical enough to really be MM. If he can continue to work on his angles and improve his forecheck he could be a pretty valuable 4th line motor once that line is eventually dismantled.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It helps to look at the Islanders as a team more so than each individual player. Without a real training camp, I suspect Trotz and Lou are still figuring out what they have as a team.

If you look too closely at individual players, you find flaws but results show a team that competes every night and is difficult to play against as promised. Sure, throw a clunker game in there, every team has them.

Lou was asked about a month ago on NHL Network where he expects his team to finish and he spoke honestly that he is just looking for his team to compete in the next game. Some of the discussion was about Mathew Barzal and how Lou wants Barzal to go out there and be Barzal and not be overcome by the pressure of having to carry this team scoring wise but that is not why I am writing this on this thread. I wish I had a link to the interview but not finding one.

NHL Radio commentator (former Islander first rounder) Mike Rupp talked about his Stanley Cup season with the Devils and how Lou was such a great motivator, and what it meant when Lou walked in the locker room, and that Lou would pull players aside individually or in front of the team and show his confidence in a player and tell them to perform in their roles and leave it on the ice and certainly remind them if they didn’t.

I call that out because I suspect that could be similar to what is going on in the Islanders locker room with players like Michael Dal Colle. I think Rupp and Dal Colle are somewhat similar players and I would be very happy if the results are similar. I am aware they are not exact matches and I am not comparing their propensity and ability to fight.

You have a legendary coach and GM that do what they have done for decades. They motivate and evaluate and they make decisions.

Over a season it has its impact on players. Most buy-in at different levels and the results speak for themselves. MDC most likely will not contribute 15-20 goals Or the equivalent this year or ever (Rupp didn’t either), but MDC will be expected to be MDC and similarly Mathew Barzal is expected to be Mathew Barzal. In his case it is not having to lead every rush into the opponents zone by himself.

Lou and Trotz will decide what mix of skills, types of players and results they expect. It will be based expectations they set and for a guy like MDC it is not goals and assists but what he brings to the team in his 10-15 minutes per night (noticing a slight up tick there) in his role.

We can continue to sit here and be disappointed that a first round pick is not scoring like a first round pick but I guarantee you LL and BT did not come into the season expecting MDC to score like a first round pick. It wouldn’t surprise me either if MDC has a long NHL career and a big Stanley Cup Playoff goal and perhaps even a ring like Rupp did.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Have to agree with Butchie. MDC has found a spot on this team, but ideally, it shouldn't be the second line. He's never going to be a 30 goal scorer, like Butchie said. He's going to be a guy that plays a heavy game with hustle and 200ft savvy. Honestly, I feel like he's going to settle in as a Cizikas/Martin right in the middle clone. Too big to be agile like Cizikas and not physical enough to really be MM. If he can continue to work on his angles and improve his forecheck he could be a pretty valuable 4th line motor once that line is eventually dismantled.
If Dal Colle is part of a line that continues to get scoring chances and drives puck possession then he will stay on that line. Today his spot next to Brock Nelson is secure. After the next game we'll see where he's at.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
It helps to look at the Islanders as a team more so than each individual player. Without a real training camp, I suspect Trotz and Lou are still figuring out what they have as a team.

If you look too closely at individual players, you find flaws but results show a team that competes every night and is difficult to play against as promised. Sure, throw a clunker game in there, every team has them.

Lou was asked about a month ago on NHL Network where he expects his team to finish and he spoke honestly that he is just looking for his team to compete in the next game. Some of the discussion was about Matt Barzal and how Lou wants Matt to go out there and be Matt and not be overcome by the pressure of having to carry this team scoring wise but that is not why I am writing this on this thread. I wish I had a link to the interview but not finding one.

NHL Radio commentator (former Islander first rounder) Mike Rupp talked about his Stanley Cup season with the Devils and how Lou was such a great motivator, and what it meant when Lou walked in the locker room, and that Lou would pull players aside individually or in front of the team and show his confidence in a player and tell them to perform in their roles and leave it on the ice and certainly remind them if they didn’t.

I call that out because I suspect that could be similar to what is going on in the Islanders locker room with players like Michael Dal Colle. I think Rupp and Dal Colle are somewhat similar players and I would be very happy if the results are similar. I am aware they are not exact matches and I am not comparing their propensity and ability to fight.

You have a legendary coach and GM that do what they have done for decades. They motivate and evaluate and they make decisions.

Over a season it has its impact on players. Most buy-in at different levels and the results speak for themselves. MDC most likely will not contribute 15-20 goals Or the equivalent this year or ever (Rupp didn’t either), but MDC will be expected to be MDC and similarly Matt Barzal is expected to be Matt Barzal. In his case it is not having to lead every rush into the opponents zone by himself.

Lou and Trotz will decide what mix of skills, types of players and results they expect. It will be based expectations they set and for a guy like MDC it is not goals and assists but what he brings to the team in his 10-15 minutes per night (noticing a slight up tick there) in his role.

We can continue to sit here and be disappointed that a first round pick is not scoring like a first round pick but I guarantee you LL and BT did not come into the season expecting MDC to score like a first round pick. It wouldn’t surprise me either if MDC has a long NHL career and a big Stanley Cup Playoff goal and perhaps even a ring like Rupp did.

Time will tell.

God damnit his name is Mat. But good post.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
What happened to that guy who was in love with MDC (probably a relative)? Did he get banned one too many times?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If Dal Colle was drafted in the 4th line nobody would have ever been so hard on him. He likely wont live up to his drafting position-but that doesn't mean he's a bad player or hasn't earned a spot on the team.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
He is definitely looking better so I am happy for him. He will start getting some bounces he keeps up the level of play.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Dal Colle is part of a line that continues to get scoring chances and drives puck possession then he will stay on that line. Today his spot next to Brock Nelson is secure. After the next game we'll see where he's at.

Yeah, I get that. I'm talking about the future, not today. If MDC is on your second line for an extended period of time, that's a bad sign. My point that is at some point a rookie or other upgrade will replace him there, but he'll still be a good soldier on a third or fourth line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He may be finding his role, let's face it, he is never going to be a top 6 winger or the driver of the top 6. But if he keeps working hard and playing the right way, he can carve out a niche on the Island or NHL.

Reactions: danteipp

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
If Dal Colle was drafted in the 4th line nobody would have ever been so hard on him. He likely wont live up to his drafting position-but that doesn't mean he's a bad player or hasn't earned a spot on the team.
That's fair, but we did draft him to be an impact goal-scorer and he's not that. Happy he's salvaged this much though because he's been pretty solid this season thus far. I can see him sticking around on the 3/4 line going forward.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad