Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The going rate for an islanders # 5 overall selection is a 4th line wing and a 3rd

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Haven't seen him play at all this year but looking at his numbers, it appears he is having a brutal season down there.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He's been light years better lately.

It's only his first professional season. He's going to be fine.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Haven't seen him play at all this year but looking at his numbers, it appears he is having a brutal season down there.

The kid turns 21 in June and in his first pro year. Seems to be coming along and adjusting to the pro game. Has good size and according to the scouting report good hockey sense and goal scoring hands. Need to give him some time.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Would be nice to see him ready to slot in to Nelsons role once he's gone to Vegas. Hopefully he's getting organized ally stronger - he seems to be a kid who will benefit from getting his man strength. Still waiting for Brock to pick up his.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any chance the islanders consider moving him? And if so what would be the asking price from the flyer?

Ask yourself ' why would the isles trade this struggling, but recent 5th overall pick to a metro rival?'

Seriously. WHY? Too old for them? Ahl salary straining the budget?

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
I'll say this much, even though hes played better his overall numbers this year are terrible: 57 games - 12 goals 20 assists - 32 points

Whereas, Pulock in 20 less games and a dmen has: 37 games 12 goals 21 assists -33 points.

Same amount of goals, 1 more point, in 20 less games, Dal Colle is having a bad season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'll say this much, even though hes played better his overall numbers this year are terrible: 57 games - 12 goals 20 assists - 32 points

Whereas, Pulock in 20 less games and a dmen has: 37 games 12 goals 21 assists -33 points.

Same amount of goals, 1 more point, in 20 less games, Dal Colle is having a bad season.

Pulock's in his third full season in the AHL, while Dal Colle is in his first.

Pulock was drafted after his third CHL season and was regarded as already physically developed while Dal Colle was drafted after his second AHL season and needed to physically develop (and still does).

Completely different situations.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

32 points is not terrible for a rookie in the AHL. He is tied for 26th among rookies in points, disappointing, but not awful. And, considering that in his last 17 games he has 15 points, he is definitely showing improvement.

Lets not forget that six weeks ago, people were looking to dump Ho Sang as well based on his AHL play. It's an adjustment, some players adjust faster than others. You also have to take into account the coaching...the Tigers coaching staff has clearly made the rookies earn their ice time and focused on an all around game.

Given his recent play, I see no reason to move Dal Colle, unless it was part of a deal for a Duchene type.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland

You know the first half of the season Coach Thompson was working with both Dal Colle and Ho-Sang on their defensive responsibilities to make sure they are going to be complete two way players. I think Ho-Sang's success (and call up) and Dal Colle's recent offensive success are both part of the process and Coach Thompson is letting them express themselves more offensively now. Everyone here likes to talk about developing prospects and I feel this is all part of the process of doing that. It is not all going to be roses and sunshine from game one.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
The kid turns 21 in June and in his first pro year. Seems to be coming along and adjusting to the pro game. Has good size and according to the scouting report good hockey sense and goal scoring hands. Need to give him some time.

I'm not ready to give up on the kid. We trade Betruzzi away when he was about 23, few seasons later he was putting up big numbers in the NHL.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I've always said, the AHL is a developmental league first and foremost. It's where the best of the best prospects go to hone their game and get acclimated to the pros. It's like in baseball, a star pitcher gets sent down to AAA and a month later his stats look awful. What you don't see is that he was working on placing his fastball and how to hold runners on base.... so he was pitching from the stretch and throwing nothing but fastballs.

These two kids were being force fed defensive responsibility and systems play for half a season. You can't tell much by looking at their numbers during this time. We can now see the fruits of this in the way JHS has played so far.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Pulock's in his third full season in the AHL, while Dal Colle is in his first.

Pulock was drafted after his third CHL season and was regarded as already physically developed while Dal Colle was drafted after his second AHL season and needed to physically develop (and still does).

Completely different situations.

Yup - Completely different situations.

That said analyzing Dal Colle's situation on it's own...I don't know how anyone can be excited where he is at this point.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I've always said, the AHL is a developmental league first and foremost. It's where the best of the best prospects go to hone their game and get acclimated to the pros. It's like in baseball, a star pitcher gets sent down to AAA and a month later his stats look awful. What you don't see is that he was working on placing his fastball and how to hold runners on base.... so he was pitching from the stretch and throwing nothing but fastballs.

These two kids were being force fed defensive responsibility and systems play for half a season. You can't tell much by looking at their numbers during this time. We can now see the fruits of this in the way JHS has played so far.

Brilliant analogy, Jester.

Altho it's hard as fans out of the loop of the development process to be 100 percent confident in his ability to succeed without production. Maybe I'm still traumatized by not seeing the writing on the wall Reinhart. Flawed comparison but I'm a biased human.

Ugh what I'd do for Ehlers or Nylander...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was not an MDC fan in his draft year, but now that we have him we have to be patient. He's tall and skinny and his skating is not great - so he's got some work to do. The question is whether he has what it takes to improve those areas.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He seems like a bit more of a finisher type that some of our other prospects. If he develops like we hope, should be a solid match on lines with Barzal and Ho-Sang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad