Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Matt Martin is a perfect example of this. The guy probably isn't worth 2.5 million in terms of skill. His 2.5 is well worth it if you account for leadership and toughness. When was the last time someone said that Martin had a terrible game? I mean think about it honestly. That diving save the other day might have gained us two points plus the 4th line looks a 100% better when we heard "Chimera is a much better overall player". Chimera is probably a better player, but Martin is a much better fit.

Martin has 11 points through 44 games (5-6) and Chimera had 11 points in 58 games last season (2-9).

Are you really comparing Martin to Chimera?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Lehner and Geiss leading the league, MDC on the first line, and Islanders without d-bag in first place.

Craziest Islander season of all time :naughty:

Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chimera is a superior player if you look at their career totality. Martin is better now. Chimera had seven seasons where he broke 30 points, three 20 goal seasons, while Martin has never broken 20 points in a single season. Martin is the very definition of a role player, and he's very important to this team, but don't confuse that with him being the better overall player.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Chimera is a better skater than Martin.

That is quite literally the only thing he has on him

I agree with you. However, To be fair, comparing players on a Weight coached team to a Trotz coached team isn’t really fair. It’s night and day.

Chimera was brutal though.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Gotta start shooting the puck. Last thing Barzal and Bailey need is a passer. Big opportunity for him with Barzal. He needs to start firing it every chance he gets. He’s doing the little things well.

Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gotta start shooting the puck. Last thing Barzal and Bailey need is a passer. Big opportunity for him with Barzal. He needs to start firing it every chance he gets. He’s doing the little things well.

He gets five games on the top line before I start to get annoyed if he isn't creating/taking advantage of any chances. Tonight will be game four, correct?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
He gets five games on the top line before I start to get annoyed if he isn't creating/taking advantage of any chances. Tonight will be game four, correct?

Not sure. Can’t be more then 4. He’s been decent. Just needs to shoot.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Resurrecting this thread. I've always thought MDC's play has been looked at in sort of a biased manner because of his high draft position. From that perspective, he's for sure a huge let down - but I think that although he's not scoring Trotz has turned him into a super solid defensive forward that's willing to go into the corners and throw the body a little bit (people forget he's not exactly undersized at 6'3 200), and he has enough hockey sense to play a complimentary role on a top 6 line just as he showed tonight. Plus, playing on a line that he can skate with where he's not considered the "threat" may finally give him enough time to get his shot off.

Would love to see another strong game from him in that spot as it would give the team a bunch of flexibility going forward - I think Beau-Pageau-Wahlstrom/Bellows could make a lot of sense. Hoping he continues to take advantage of this opportunity - it is a contract year for him after all.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Resurrecting this thread. I've always thought MDC's play has been looked at in sort of a biased manner because of his high draft position. From that perspective, he's for sure a huge let down - but I think that although he's not scoring Trotz has turned him into a super solid defensive forward that's willing to go into the corners and throw the body a little bit (people forget he's not exactly undersized at 6'3 200), and he has enough hockey sense to play a complimentary role on a top 6 line just as he showed tonight. Plus, playing on a line that he can skate with where he's not considered the "threat" may finally give him enough time to get his shot off.

Would love to see another strong game from him in that spot as it would give the team a bunch of flexibility going forward - I think Beau-Pageau-Wahlstrom/Bellows could make a lot of sense. Hoping he continues to take advantage of this opportunity - it is a contract year for him after all.
Dal Colle is a plumber. He does exactly what a plumber should do because that's what he is! Regardless of his draft selection rank, he won't turn into an offensive force in this league. At best he's another Brad Dalgarno (also drafted very high in 1985). Yesterday, it was Dal Colle's first two points after 20 games where he was blanked from the scorecard (including 3 playoff games). You could say he was due! He's not top six material. At least not in the long run. The opposite would be a huge surprise to me.

Also, and without taking anything away from Dal Colle, this good game he had yesterday is against a team that is arguably the worst in defense in our division.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also, and without taking anything away from Dal Colle, this good game he had yesterday is against a team that is arguably the worst in defense in our division.
Only by default because they are pretty banged up. I still think the worst defense in our division is on 33rd Street.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Dal Colle is a plumber. He does exactly what a plumber should do because that's what he is! Regardless of his draft selection rank, he won't turn into an offensive force in this league. At best he's another Brad Dalgarno (also drafted very high in 1985). Yesterday, it was Dal Colle's first two points after 20 games where he was blanked from the scorecard (including 3 playoff games). You could say he was due! He's not top six material. At least not in the long run. The opposite would be a huge surprise to me.

It’s crazy because he was playing PPG hockey at a 40+ goal pace last time he was in Bridgeport but just doesn’t seem to have the ability to transfer that to the NHL. I think the plumber analogy makes sense - and I do think that’s a role that he could excel at in a top 6 role.

He’s never really been on a line at the NHL level with people who will shoot the puck for an extended period of time - mostly been plugged into the bottom 6. Even when he was playing on the top line I think it was with an early non-shooting iteration of Barzal and Bailey, who isn’t exactly a sniper either. Both Eberle and Nelson are going to shoot the puck. Not sure I see 20 goals in his future either, but I think his presence can help those guys pad their stats... and give Pageau a solid scoring winger to play with in Beauvillier (or possibly even Lee) which would help him as well. If he can help make that line work, it’ll help make other lines work too and that’s going to be much more important than whatever his goal total is at the end of the season

Reactions: buud

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Let's pump the brakes.

He had one good game against a terrible defensive team. A team that's likely lottery bound despite their 2 superstars.

Good for him but I need to see way more before I change my view that he's at best a career bottom 6er.

There's a reason there were no posts on this thread for 357 days before last night.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Always have and still do believe that MDC is being more groomed to be part of the next 4th line. He had a great game and boy would we all love to see something come from it....but i am ok with him being part of our 4th line going forward as i think he would be very effective there....personally, i do not care where we drafted him at this point as long as he can be a regular contributor.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
MDC is an awkward skater with a long release. He is a bottom six player

but will never be even a 20 goal scorer in the NHL.

Well his career total is 7, saying he will not be a 20 goal guy is very much a coin flip at this point . Only needs 13 more .... ( wink ) .....MDC ( Mistake Draft Choice) will always be just that however our lifetime drafting in the top 5 has lead to way more failures than successes.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've said this before: MDC might be Dan Cleary. Cleary was touted as a top 5 selection the year before his draft but ended up being picked just outside the top 10. He didn't pan out as a top 6 forward, but he ended up being a valuable bottom 6 forward on Cup-winning teams. He ended up scoring 20 goals three times in his career, the first time being 10 years after he was drafted.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Let's pump the brakes.

He had one good game against a terrible defensive team. A team that's likely lottery bound despite their 2 superstars.

Good for him but I need to see way more before I change my view that he's at best a career bottom 6er.

There's a reason there were no posts on this thread for 357 days before last night.
why pump the brakes? he had a decent game, and was recognized for it. no one is saying that he is even gonna become part of our top 6.

he worked hard, made some sneaky nice passes, drove to the net. still can't seem to get much of a shot away, but maybe that will change in time.

i think he can become a decent 3rd liner. maybe on the PP where he can take the time to shoot, he can find a bit of success?

maybe he keeps playing good with our 2nd line, which would allow Beau to play with Pageau & Wahlstrom?

i'm kind of excited about it.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
why pump the brakes? he had a decent game, and was recognized for it. no one is saying that he is even gonna become part of our top 6.

he worked hard, made some sneaky nice passes, drove to the net. still can't seem to get much of a shot away, but maybe that will change in time.

i think he can become a decent 3rd liner. maybe on the PP where he can take the time to shoot, he can find a bit of success?

maybe he keeps playing good with our 2nd line, which would allow Beau to play with Pageau & Wahlstrom?

i'm kind of excited about it.

Last night was the first time that I can remember where MDC was deployed in an offensive role with offensive players. He has always been in a 3rd or 4th line capacity with other muckers.

He's smart, hard working, and defensively responsible. He did a nice job and maybe he can replicate that type of performance once in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad