Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
He scored some goals in the AHL, and deflected two past NHL goalies. He was drafted many years ago. His trade value today is probably a 3rd round pick or less so if say that's kinda close to bust till he starts burrying pucks in this league. If he needs 20 more games till he starts scoring I think he will not get that chance here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
MDC plays a very predictable game, has shown to be quite reliable defensively. I am also very interested to see how he plays with Barzal and what kind of chemistry that could develop.

I do have concerns about the fit though. Dal Colle offers very little in zone exits and handling the puck through the neutral zone so far. He doesn't have the skating ability to be a strong zone entry guy either. Barzal will have to carry the puck a ton with MDC and Bailey, teams can swarm him again. When Beauvillier is going well, he takes a ton of pressure off Barzal in those facets so he is free to seek open ice while someone else transports the puck.
I thought Dal Colle was ok with Barzal tonight. I remember 2 decent chances they created. That’s enough for me to keep him on the 1st line for another game.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Id keep him on that line again. He seemed to play much faster when paired with Barzal. However, still no goals, and he is supposed to be a goal scorer

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
It's really been a hell of a turnaround for his kid considering what his preseason stock was. It's too early to know whether he's going to stick, but the trends seem to be pointing up. I'd like to see him get on the scoreboard a bit more, but the team as a whole is going through a slump there, so let's be patient. He's doing the other little things right, and it looks like Trotz is starting to trust him.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
MDC game is based on chemistry with his line mates, Barzal is tough to play with but if given time I think they can figure it out. Having said that MDC may be in the press box come playoff time but first one to replace a lw injury. Hopefully come training camp he is placed on a line and given every opportunity to mesh with the line mates. They should also be able to sign him to a cap friendly contract as a bonus.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's really been a hell of a turnaround for his kid considering what his preseason stock was. It's too early to know whether he's going to stick, but the trends seem to be pointing up. I'd like to see him get on the scoreboard a bit more, but the team as a whole is going through a slump there, so let's be patient. He's doing the other little things right, and it looks like Trotz is starting to trust him.
Dal Colle is here because he fits into the coaches system more than because of his individual talent. The fact that he is making the most of his expanded role on Barzal’s line is to his credit. Not convinced MDCis a keeper yet, just taking it game by game. So far he hasn’t hurt the team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If im not mistaken MDC was sitting on bench in OT and during shootout.
Your point is?

Anders Lee never plays in OT and won’t get into the shootout until it gets into the 8th round. Doesn’t mean I don’t want him here. He has a role.

Reactions: PWJunior

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Your point is?

Anders Lee never plays in OT and won’t get into the shootout until it gets into the 8th round. Doesn’t mean I don’t want him here. He has a role.

Clutch players are relied upon at the most important moments of a game.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Uh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that's not a slump we're in. That's our offense. ;)

Reactions: Newsworthy

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No, I said one player was bad at OT. The other player hasn’t even touched the ice in OT, so how would we compare them?
Leo Komarov is a better PKer than John Tavares, but that doesn’t mean that Leo is better overall. [Mod]
I have found in my short time on these boards that there is an amazing phenomenon of disingenuousness that occurs regularly; if a person happens to mention two players of disparate abilities in the same sentence in order to make a point, that person will immediately be accused likening one to the other though it was clearly not his or her intention to do so.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I have found in my short time on these boards that there is an amazing phenomenon of disingenuousness that occurs regularly; if you happen to mention two players of disparate abilities in the same sentence in order to make a point, you will immediately be accused likening one to the other though it was clearly not your intention to do so.
I don’t get it. People routinely disregard the fact that players have specific roles which have no impact on overall ability or skill.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I don’t get it. People routinely disregard the fact that players have specific roles which have no impact on overall ability or skill.

Matt Martin is a perfect example of this. The guy probably isn't worth 2.5 million in terms of skill. His 2.5 is well worth it if you account for leadership and toughness. When was the last time someone said that Martin had a terrible game? I mean think about it honestly. That diving save the other day might have gained us two points plus the 4th line looks a 100% better when we heard "Chimera is a much better overall player". Chimera is probably a better player, but Martin is a much better fit.

Martin has 11 points through 44 games (5-6) and Chimera had 11 points in 58 games last season (2-9).

Reactions: dood and WangMustGo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad