TSN: Mete requests trade from Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Because getting rid of Byron helps as well and you can save cap space with some changes to such a deal. Not very difficult.

Getting rid of Byron only helps if it: a) saves Montreal cap space that they want to use elsewhere; or b) makes Montreal a better team.

Your proposed trade does neither. Montreal loses two NHL caliber D that they like and one of their most versatile bottom-6 wingers and one of their leaders for a contract spot and a shutdown D with a NMC that hasn't been an effective shutdown D for a while.

And they don't even need what Vlasic was when he was at his best, so it doesn't make sense even if they thought a change of scenery makes sense.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because getting rid of Byron helps as well and you can save cap space with some changes to such a deal. Not very difficult.
Byron is a key member of out team, particularly on the PK and gives offensive depth on our 4th line. He is approximately 1M overpaid (covid considered) with 3 years remaining on his contract.

Vlasic is overpaid by at least 3.5M. His role is covered by Chiarot and Edmunson, Romanov and Kulak.

How does this help the Habs? We get a dman we don’t need. We lose a very useful player in Byron. And we are stuck with a boat anchor contract in Vlasic for 6 years and screwed our cap situation for many years.

Just awful!

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How does [email protected] and Middleton (for contract slot purposes) for Byron, Mete, and Kulak sound?

Just noticed Vlasic has only 7 shots, 0 goals and is playing some of the worst hockey of his career. He's 33 years old with 6 years remaining on contract that is 7M/season. It would take the equivalent of 3 or 4 x 1st round picks to dump that contract.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Man, can this kid skate. Beautiful to watch. Aaaaaaaaand... That's it. Habs would be smart to trade him while he still has some kind of value. With the current d-corps and the youngsters in the pipeline, Mete becomes redundant.

yeah, maybe if we start sucking and the playoffs are out of reach

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
From the times I’ve watched him, he seems pretty “meh”. Other than his skating nothing else stands out.

Unless the Habs have a need to address, perhaps they should just keep him as depth for a playoff run.

Reactions: Vachon23

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Man, can this kid skate. Beautiful to watch. Aaaaaaaaand... That's it. Habs would be smart to trade him while he still has some kind of value. With the current d-corps and the youngsters in the pipeline, Mete becomes redundant.

Yeah that about sums it up, first shift he played this year I thought wow he is such an agile skater..but thats it! I think the habs can afford to let him go, they have Fleury on the Taxi Squad which is a RH, and our 2 bottom Dman are LH, so it makes sense.

The ask would be a 2nd I guess or an ELC prospect LW to play in the AHL.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Habs can't lose the depth they have at D. Ideal trade is for a vet 7th D and a future piece.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
To be fair, and I'm not really a fan of his, he was trying to do to much his last game. He was significantly better in the playins/playoffs and last season.
He has a good IQ, elite skating, good stick and body positioning, but he's very weak and his shot is a muffin.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hoping they flip him for a RD that another team doesn't want to lose on waivers, 1 for 1. He has some potential but Romanov will always be ahead on him in preference and Kulak has shown to be pretty good as a bottom pairing D.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

He's really good at flubbin' muffins, too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The thing is he is only 22 and most D don't even make the NHL by that age. His skating is elite level and he has great vision. He's just not in a role to play that offensive game. I think if he played on a rebuilding team, he can be used to his abilities and you would see more offensive output. He's not going to get that in Montreal

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's absolutely no rush from Montreal's perpective to make a deal right now, let alone add Vlasic.

Reactions: RicoxSuave

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Hoping they flip him for a RD that another team doesn't want to lose on waivers, 1 for 1. He has some potential but Romanov will always be ahead on him in preference and Kulak has shown to be pretty good as a bottom pairing D.
Julius Honka maybe?
With an extra pick coming back?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I can see Benning making an offer. He gets caught up in dmen who have one stand out trait(skating, big/tough, shooting) even if they're mediocre/bad overall. Mete is a great skater so that'll work for Benning.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I don’t think Mete is going anywhere before the expansion draft. Bergevin and Julien both seem to genuinely like him and his contract is absolutely ideal

He's gifted at skating and moving the puck up ice. His defense is efficient if not overpowering, and he's always at the top of plus/minus for Habs D despite not particularly being sheltered.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Really no point in trading Mete. Habs won't get anything in return that that outweighs the benefit of having him as a 7D in case of injuries. He can play both right and left side and has been used as a forward as well. He's a cheap swiss army knife in case of injuries or COVID losses.

Reactions: Archijerej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad