TSN: Mete requests trade from Habs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Mere in the lineup for Habs tonight. Gotta think it's to showcase him as I don't think he'd draw in for the first time all year just because he demanded a trade.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
There is no reason to rush to accommodate this trade request. Mete is signed to a very cap friendly deal and provides the Habs with excellent depth when injuries or Covid hit. If the trade wouldnt make sense under normal circumstances then its not something id consider right now if im Bergevin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mere in the lineup for Habs tonight. Gotta think it's to showcase him as I don't think he'd draw in for the first time all year just because he demanded a trade.

Julien makes changes after we loose a game. It only makes sense for many ways than one. Mete trade rumors are Habs fans overacting IMO. I'd be pissed off too if I was Bergevin and I bet Mete didn't want that leaked either. Or did he? :sarcasm:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I suspect that Mete probably does have some issue with the situation, but an element of this is also Darren Ferris doing Darren Farris things. I don't think its a coincidence that there were reports that two players that he represents (Mete and Bennett) were asking for a trade on Saturday night as the teams were playing each other. Both the Habs and Flames also seem pretty surprised by the reports (which might also be posturing).

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I don't see anyone available at his salary and with his versatility who would make a better No 7, so why trade him?

He's getting his chance tonight and he has to play like he's indispensable if he wants to replace Kulak. It's that simple.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It sounds like a complete pipedream on the Sharks side. Vlasic at 5.5 is still the worst contract in the game! Give up on dumping him on the Habs. It will never happen. Buy him out!

That’s complete exaggeration. Vlasic at 5.5 is nowhere near worst in the game.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Who’s worse? Vlasic has 6 years remaining in his contract!

Why would the Habs willingly take his egregious nuclear contract on?

Mete wanting a trade has zero to do with Vlasic. It doesn’t open up a spot. Mete is the #7 dman.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

At 5.5 it is much easier to deal with. A buyout is smaller and more realistically it is easier to trade with retention when you’d want. Sharks would have two worse contracts on their own but there are others as well.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

It's also the first game of the Habs following a regulation loss.

Reactions: Eegs

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At 5.5 it is much easier to deal with. A buyout is smaller and more realistically it is easier to trade with retention when you’d want. Sharks would have two worse contracts on their own but there are others as well.
5.5 for Vlasic for 6 years is egregious. Why would the Habs do that? You have yet to give a reason why the Habs would make an idiotic trade for Vlasic.

I wouldn’t take him even if he was 3.5M

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
5.5 for Vlasic for 6 years is egregious. Why would the Habs do that? You have yet to give a reason why the Habs would make an idiotic trade for Vlasic.

I wouldn’t take him even if he was 3.5M

Because getting rid of Byron helps as well and you can save cap space with some changes to such a deal. Not very difficult.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

He's 33 and has 5 more years left on his deal after this one. Very difficult for teams to fit that into their cap structure. Montreal certainly has no reason to do so, especially when they have both Chiarot and Edmundson on the left side doing well for $3.5M each.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
It's also the first game of the Habs following a regulation loss.
That's a good point and something another poster mentioned as well. Still, a bit surprising to see him get in a game right after news he might want out is made public.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Juolevi - Mete back together again! Make it happen.
Give them Rafferty or something.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I agree your right that it is nowhere near the worst . There is 6 years left though . Even at 3.5 million (50%retention) it has borderline value to us . We have two guys at the same rate , younger providing similar qualities. There’s just no fit on the Habs now or in 2-3 years when our boatload of prospects are coming through .

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Mete wanting a trade has zero to do with Vlasic. It doesn’t open up a spot. Mete is the #7 dman.

Karlsson is probably worse. Those sharks Contracts are just so bad. You hate to see it.

Reactions: TK 421

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
This guy is a less skilled version of Tyler Ennis and he plays D.. I don't see much future for him in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad