TSN: Mete requests trade from Habs

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
My sense is one of Edmundson or Chiarot will not be protected. Teams can only protect one goalie. There are many 1a and 1b tandems so large chance a dean gets selected.
I really hope your right but what other goalies might we be looking at . Salary will play a huge factor.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
My sense is one of Edmundson or Chiarot will not be protected. Teams can only protect one goalie. There are many 1a and 1b tandems so large chance a dean gets selected.
I’m not sure but I think a team can expose a goalie on an expiring contract . There really are not a lot of quality options on the go . I did a quick run down of the 31 teams and it seems like a lot of teams are not blessed at that position.
Again I’m not sure and maybe someone can clarify but can a team expose a goalie on an expiring contract and if Seattle does take such a pick/risk could that goalie actually sign elsewhere ?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I’m not sure but I think a team can expose a goalie on an expiring contract . There really are not a lot of quality options on the go . I did a quick run down of the 31 teams and it seems like a lot of teams are not blessed at that position.
Again I’m not sure and maybe someone can clarify but can a team expose a goalie on an expiring contract and if Seattle does take such a pick/risk could that goalie actually sign elsewhere ?

Everyone needs to expose a goalie that is either under contract or RFA.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Apparently he's unhappy on the taxi squad and have asked for a trade. What do you think is his value ? I'd let him go for a prospect of similar age or younger and or a pick depending on the upside. Mete right now is a no.5 to no.7 depending on the team and I see maybe a top4 upside in his prime. A physical 3rd line winger or a younger defenseman that would be playing in the AHL this season but with similar upside (questionnable top4 upside) would be a good trading of assets. Mete can improve your brigade right away, but dont expect him to post many points even if he looks like he could.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Didnt Berg say he refuses to trade him

You can't always trust Bergevin's word.

Then again, Montreal would want replacement D depth, and its pretty much impossible for him to get a depth D back with Mete's combination of youth, experience, cost, upside and impact. So what's the point of moving him. Montreal will deal with injuries and Mete will get a more consistent opportunity in the lineup.

Jul 6, 2016
You can't always trust Bergevin's word.

Then again, Montreal would want replacement D depth, and its pretty much impossible for him to get a depth D back with Mete's combination of youth, experience, cost, upside and impact. So what's the point of moving him. Montreal will deal with injuries and Mete will get a more consistent opportunity in the lineup.

MB was stunned to lose Juulsen on the waivers. He was probably a young RHD he really wanted to keep, but he gambled because he thought no one would take him because of his injuries and lack of games played over the last two seasons. Personally, I would had kept Juulsen over Mete anytime.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Take it from a Leaf fan who is looking at who are 4th replacement forward is now that Simmonds, Thorton, Robertson are all out for a month or more each.

Keep him, tell him to be quiet and to earn his spot.
Like others have said he is young, good, and cheap.

His value now vs the offseason is not going to change much even if he doesn't play a ton. (Maybe its a 2nd now, and in the offseason its a 3rd+later pick)

He is still a 22/23y.o guy who has almost 175 games of experience playing decently well.

Only way this makes sense if its a young guy who is unhappy for a young guy who is unhappy. (Some weird package around Mete for Brannstrom)

Reactions: yianik

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
First he is not on the taxi squad. Second he won't be traded unless they get another serviceable dman in the same price range because the Habs like that they finally have depth.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do the Habs need more picks in round 2 or 3? If not, I wouldn’t trade him. Could be good fodder for the expansion draft too. Wouldn’t hurt the Habs a bit if he’s the player Seattle takes.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
With the way that Kulak has played lately, I'm sure he'll be in the lineup a bit more here soon

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's the type of guy that will have more value to his current team than he'd get on the market. If you're only going to get a 4th or later for him, no point in moving him. If you're getting a 3rd in return, you give it thought. It's not like Mete is old or has no upside. It's unlikely even a 3rd round pick will become an NHLer as good as Mete currently is.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's the type of guy that will have more value to his current team than he'd get on the market. If you're only going to get a 4th or later for him, no point in moving him. If you're getting a 3rd in return, you give it thought. It's not like Mete is old or has no upside. It's unlikely even a 3rd round pick will become an NHLer as good as Mete currently is.

I don't think Montreal gives it a thought for a 3rd either. They already have 3 3rds and a bunch of middle round picks. The preference is a D in a similar situation to Mete with similar age/contract/upside.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think Montreal gives it a thought for a 3rd either. They already have 3 3rds and a bunch of middle round picks. The preference is a D in a similar situation to Mete with similar age/contract/upside.
If it were me, I wouldn't bother moving him for a 3rd. That's the bare minimum value for him, imo.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Take it from a Leaf fan who is looking at who are 4th replacement forward is now that Simmonds, Thorton, Robertson are all out for a month or more each.

Keep him, tell him to be quiet and to earn his spot.
Like others have said he is young, good, and cheap.

His value now vs the offseason is not going to change much even if he doesn't play a ton. (Maybe its a 2nd now, and in the offseason its a 3rd+later pick)

He is still a 22/23y.o guy who has almost 175 games of experience playing decently well.

Only way this makes sense if its a young guy who is unhappy for a young guy who is unhappy. (Some weird package around Mete for Brannstrom)
this post is correct

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Do the Habs need more picks in round 2 or 3? If not, I wouldn’t trade him. Could be good fodder for the expansion draft too. Wouldn’t hurt the Habs a bit if he’s the player Seattle takes.
habs don't need any more picks. they have 14 next summer. They aren't giving him away for a 2nd. Just can't see it - and definitely not, insulting offers like 3rds or 4ths. that's idiotic

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Given their depth and cap situations and Metes low salary, IMO they can’t trade him this season. If they hadn’t lost Juulsen it might be a different story. Off season, maybe Seattle might pick him. If not, maybe then Bergivin can accommodate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->