TSN: Mete requests trade from Habs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I can see Benning making an offer. He gets caught up in dmen who have one stand out trait(skating, big/tough, shooting) even if they're mediocre/bad overall. Mete is a great skater so that'll work for Benning.
like hughes, if nucks pair mete with a a physical, stay at home dman, he'll be fine - he played with Weber quite a bit before chiarot was signed

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Really no point in trading Mete. Habs won't get anything in return that that outweighs the benefit of having him as a 7D in case of injuries. He can play both right and left side and has been used as a forward as well. He's a cheap swiss army knife in case of injuries or COVID losses.

Players who express their want to leave are notorious for underperforming when they aren't getting their way...there's a few glaring examples just from this early season alone...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Players who express their want to leave are notorious for underperforming when they aren't getting their way...there's a few glaring examples just from this early season alone...
True, but if Mete wants to a regular spot in a lineup, he will have to demonstrate he is a top-6 dman. And to do that he would have to perform to the best of his abilities. It would be counter-productive for Mete to willingly under-perform. It would defeat the purpose as no one would want him in their lineup.

We aren't talking PLD or Laine. Those guys were proven performers. Mete is still unproven.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
True, but if Mete wants to a regular spot in a lineup, he will have to demonstrate he is a top-6 dman. And to do that he would have to perform to the best of his abilities. It would be counter-productive for Mete to willingly under-perform. It would defeat the purpose as no one would want him in their lineup.

We aren't talking PLD or Laine. Those guys were proven performers. Mete is still unproven.

Unless Mete somehow develops an NHL shot in the next few weeks, he's never going to be a regular with the Habs...I'd honesty like to see if we could pry Kylington from Calgary (along with Bennett)...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Unless Mete somehow develops an NHL shot in the next few weeks, he's never going to be a regular with the Habs...I'd honesty like to see if we could pry Kylington from Calgary (along with Bennett)...

Kylington is probably fair value. Bennett at 2.5M makes zero sense unless Byron is going the other way.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bennett is my "if Danault doesn't get with the program" want...

That's ridiculous. We aren't breaking up the Danault line by trading him for Bennett. If you don't see what Danault brings to the table and what his line means to the Habs (and their dominance over the leagues top lines) then there's not much to debate.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This guys seems like waiver fodder. I see some are suggesting 2nd round value? Because he’s young and fast?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
That's ridiculous. We aren't breaking up the Danault line by trading him for Bennett. If you don't see what Danault brings to the table and what his line means to the Habs (and their dominance over the leagues top lines) then there's not much to debate.

You totally misunderstand why we should have a Danault-replacement plan...he wants Top 6 money & minutes and has said as much, even publicly...that's not Bergevin's plan, as he sees Suzuki & Kotkaniemi as our future Top 6 centres and Danault as a luxury Elite #3C...now, they're at a crossroads and neither has, at least publicly, moved from their positions, putting the Habs in a very familiar position of letting a key asset walk for nothing at the end of the season...we've seen this movie multiple times and suffered the consequences of not having a back-up plan (or even any semblance of a plan in general) and that cannot be allowed to happen here or it will hurt the Habs significantly going forward...hence why this needs to be rectified now, not at the end of the season when Danault pretty much has Bergevin over a barrel; either PD accepts Elite #3C money (somewhere around $4 mill or so AAV) or we trade him now and get assets back that can at least alleviate some of the pain of losing Danault...it's business, plain and simple...

Reactions: old grumpy smiling

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You totally misunderstand why we should have a Danault-replacement plan...he wants Top 6 money & minutes and has said as much, even publicly...that's not Bergevin's plan, as he sees Suzuki & Kotkaniemi as our future Top 6 centres and Danault as a luxury Elite #3C...now, they're at a crossroads and neither has, at least publicly, moved from their positions, putting the Habs in a very familiar position of letting a key asset walk for nothing at the end of the season...we've seen this movie multiple times and suffered the consequences of not having a back-up plan (or even any semblance of a plan in general) and that cannot be allowed to happen here or it will hurt the Habs significantly going forward...hence why this needs to be rectified now, not at the end of the season when Danault pretty much has Bergevin over a barrel; either PD accepts Elite #3C money (somewhere around $4 mill or so AAV) or we trade him now and get assets back that can at least alleviate some of the pain of losing Danault...it's business, plain and simple...

You totally misunderstand why Bergevin would NEVER trade him (unless its for an upgrade). Habs are a good team that is competing now. Danault is an elite defensive C and we are a way better team with him in the lineup (with Gally/Tatar) than traded and off the lineup. Danault is our trade deadline pickup in a situation where we are to lose him in the offseason.

If we lose him in the offseason then so be it. Its a risk. On the flip side, if he has lower numbers this season offensively (as he is tracking) there is a chance he either takes the offer that was on the table or a shorter term lower offer from the Habs. Its not automatic that he walks. Regardless, you don't trade a key player like that and downgrade when you are incompete mode. That's a loser move!

Danault has his two top-line linemates flanking him. That was his ask in the offseason.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This guys seems like waiver fodder. I see some are suggesting 2nd round value? Because he’s young and fast?

The guy is 22 years old, played 173 games in the NHL. Is >50% CF and even better in the playoffs. Is still a developing player. A net + by a wide margin. And a caphit under 800K. That's not waiver fodder. That's an asset!

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
You totally misunderstand why Bergevin would NEVER trade him (unless its for an upgrade). Habs are a good team that is competing now. Danault is an elite defensive C and we are a way better team with him in the lineup (with Gally/Tatar) than traded and off the lineup. Danault is our trade deadline pickup in a situation where we are to lose him in the offseason.

If we lose him in the offseason then so be it. Its a risk. On the flip side, if he has lower numbers this season offensively (as he is tracking) there is a chance he either takes the offer that was on the table or a shorter term lower offer from the Habs. Its not automatic that he walks. Regardless, you don't trade a key player like that and downgrade when you are incompete mode. That's a loser move!

Danault has his two top-line linemates flanking him. That was his ask in the offseason.

No, it wasn't; he's had those same linemates two seasons running now and he still complains about being "usurped" and wants ridiculous money for what he's bringing to the table...I would honestly love to keep Danault, but not at the expense of progression and that's what it comes down to...I won't reiterate here in the Mete thread, so head on over to the PD thread here if you want to continue this debate...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No, it wasn't; he's had those same linemates two seasons running now and he still complains about being "usurped" and wants ridiculous money for what he's bringing to the table...I would honestly love to keep Danault, but not at the expense of progression and that's what it comes down to...I won't reiterate here in the Mete thread, so head on over to the PD thread here if you want to continue this debate...

No you are incorrect. In the playins, he was stripped of his linemates for large chunks of time (Gally was assigned to KK) and played a pure 3C defensive role. Of course he was pissed. But what he didn't realize was that it was to give KK and Suzuki opportunities to grow from the playoff experience.

Now that he has Gally/Tatar back he is content. I mean, how could he not be happy with having near top-line forwards flanking him.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
No you are incorrect. In the playins, he was stripped of his linemates for large chunks of time (Gally was assigned to KK) and played a pure 3C defensive role. Of course he was pissed. But what he didn't realize was that it was to give KK and Suzuki opportunities to grow from the playoff experience.

Now that he has Gally/Tatar back he is content. I mean, how could he not be happy with having near top-line forwards flanking him.

You speak like you're in his head; if so, then please explain why he hasn't said so and instead is fine letting this all go on without soo much as a public peep, yet all we see if him talking with Clod for damn near half of every practice/skate...because he's well aware that he's got Bergevin over a barrel if he just bides his time and waits until the offseason...again, you want to have this debate, bring it over to the PD thread and I'll be happy to oblige...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You speak like you're in his head; if so, then please explain why he hasn't said so and instead is fine letting this all go on without soo much as a public peep, yet all we see if him talking with Clod for damn near half of every practice/skate...because he's well aware that he's got Bergevin over a barrel if he just bides his time and waits until the offseason...again, you want to have this debate, bring it over to the PD thread and I'll be happy to oblige...

Neither of us are in his head. You focus on a doomsday prediction and i am more optimistic. But one aspect you haven't addressed is why trade Danault when he is a valuable and important player to our chances to compete now??? Habs have a very competitive team. It would we stupid to weaken just because you think you might lose him in the offseason.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Neither of us are in his head. You focus on a doomsday prediction and i am more optimistic. But one aspect you haven't addressed is why trade Danault when he is a valuable and important player to our chances to compete now. Habs have a very competive team. It would we stupid to weaken just because you think you might lose him in the offseason.

Post this in the proper thread and we can continue this debate

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I'd like to see your answer aswell. You don't get to have a hot take then coward down like that.

you just posted in the Danault thread in which I answered...save the pitiful comments for someone else, kid; I have mouthy grandkids who could talk rings around your generation, and they're 6 and 3...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bergevin over a barrel. Once he realizes he’s not getting what he wants and will have to uproot the family he’ll sign a team friendly contract if he wants to stay . Bergevin over a barrel. What a joke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad