Metallica Appreciation Thread

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I stand Lars Ulrich. His druming sucks so much and he is what usually stops me from listening to Metallica for more than 60 minuters straight.

Really? What do you hate about his drumming? Or is it just a cop out about actually disliking the person and his drumming has nothing to do with it? Me personally I wish he would do away with the whole "trash can snare" myself but can't say that I actually dislike the guy for it.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Really? What do you hate about his drumming? Or is it just a cop out about actually disliking the person and his drumming has nothing to do with it? Me personally I wish he would do away with the whole "trash can snare" myself but can't say that I actually dislike the guy for it.
IT is just flat ont horible and repetitive. The druming lacks any kind of variation and he uses the snare Way more often than he should. Which is à shame because Metallica has some great music..

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What I usually find amusing about people who praise their first 4 albums while denouncing anything after the Black Album (and some who even include the Black Album) is that they tend to have gotten pissed off that Metallica didn't continue being a "cookie-cutter Metal Band".

Instead I look at it as they always said "We're going to make the music that we like to make, that inspires us and makes us feel good" and proceeded to do that. Good for them for not accepting be placed into a confined musical box.

I have now seen them live and in concert 4 times and each time has been an amazing, adrenaline pumping experience that leaves me energized well after the show. They play hard and fast and do so for 2.5-3 hours (the shows I saw) and have never disappointed me. (Lars even personally handed me a drumstick after the first show I went to, not threw it into the crowd, but looked me in the eyes and made sure that drumstick got in my hand)

Metallica grew up, and I think they're better musicians because of that.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Lars is actually considered a pretty bad drummer in comparison to many others. However, he also seems to be the one who has the strongest business sense out of all four of them.

Anyway, the first 4 albums are the best. However, TBA was still a great album. Load is a very good album as well. If you separate that album from the Metallica name, I don't know how someone can say it's a bad rock album. Reload has some really good songs, others are meh. St. Anger was just bad. Death Magnetic was quite good as well.

Reactions: JBeast

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Not gonna lie, I got kind of soured on Metallica when someone tried to argue with me in high school that Lars Ulrich was a better drummer than Neil Peart. Petty and ridiculous reason to dislike a band? You bet.

Not to say they haven't made some great music, but meh.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
They might not be the best or the most talented. But theres a good chance they were everyone's first metal band and made them fall in love with the genre, and that alone makes them worth being mentioned among the best bands of all time.

Reactions: JBeast

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Still one of my favorite bands, even with all the "sellout" garbage that gets tossed around every time Metallica even gets mentioned. I do prefer their older stuff, but I thought Death Magnetic was a pretty solid album.

Sep 19, 2008
Metallica started off legendary but lost a lot of favor when they complained about Napster. That was about when they started to fade from relevance.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Everything from Kill 'Em All to Load is fantastic. Everything after Load is boring and irritating. And I can't stand Trujillo.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Not gonna lie, I got kind of soured on Metallica when someone tried to argue with me in high school that Lars Ulrich was a better drummer than Neil Peart. Petty and ridiculous reason to dislike a band? You bet.

Not to say they haven't made some great music, but meh.

You were both wrong, they both stink.

PolishBingo

King Pierogie IV
Jan 9, 2006
I appreciate their first 4 albums. A lot actually.

556e29e4804981fc03f4394f20d69e3d.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Metallica got me into music. First band I listened too intensily, so I might be biased, but I still love them and I even like some of the songs on St. Anger. Mainly because I don't let people make up my own opinion ;)
People who hate Metallica for opening up their musical horizon are ignorant and it actually comes from metalheads who are super close minded and don't like listening to other style of music.
2af30c947319962c6f00af234e84c469df85a488311e2b0006a4c8a203583230.jpg

I just love Creeping death, it's probably the best live song you can hear.

Obligatory

aNqN7.jpg

;)

I knew I'd see you around here :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: