Metallica Appreciation Thread

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
So after going both days, I can honestly say, it was the worst concert experience I've ever had. You couldn't hear shit. The stage setup was awful. A big circle of speakers going in multiple directions making it echo. Apparently its been this way the entire tour.

Yeah I've never had such a bad time at a show either. I was in the 500's and it was borderline unlistenable. I almost wanted to just leave. I ended up finding tickets for Sunday in the 200's for $100 each and just ate the others I had because I wasn't going to do that again. It sounded much better in those seats, but still muddy as hell during certain songs (Fight Fire With Fire for example).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stadium shows suck it's almost universal. I saw RHCP in a football stadium a few months ago it was...okay. The Strokes were the open and it was unlistenable.

I wouldn't pay the prices these big stadium tours are going for right now.

Taylor Swift

There's also an awful lot of backing trackage going on in that case including the music itself. All of which can be elaborately tuned and calculated much more so than a band.

Last edited:

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Montreal was horrible... Opening bands if ya didn't know the songs you couldn't tell one from the other. Metallica was slightly better, but ya the Olympic Stadium was horrible.... Still had fun tho.

I heard from people in the seats the sounds wasn't the greatest. I was close up front on the floor and had a good time

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
There's also an awful lot of backing trackage going on in that case including the music itself. All of which can be elaborately tuned and calculated much more so than a band.
Yes and no. She does have a band and backup singers who do perform live. Like most bands with massive stage production they use a master click track on most songs to sync the show (lights, visuals, cues for when chorus/bridge come in, lyrics etc). Yes, she also uses auto-tune and yes there is additional vocal tracks on choreo-heavy songs, but the mixer's job doesn't change whether its live, to track, or whatever. They'll have a soundcheck and they have to make it sound good in the venue any way you slice it. It's just that when sound comes from one direction you can use a consistent spot for the mixing board to get a constant reference (150 out dead center). If it is in the round, where do you put the board if each venue is different?

And fwiw even Metallica plays to a click and has some backing tracks (intros and whatnot). I would be surprised if they didn't have some vocal tracks too just in case someone has the flu and they don't want to cancel on 80k fans. Often they come into play for particular big cues (think Roger Daltrey's screams in Won't Get Fooled Again).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Stadium shows suck it's almost universal. I saw RHCP in a football stadium a few months ago it was...okay. The Strokes were the open and it was unlistenable.

I wouldn't pay the prices these big stadium tours are going for right now.

Ya was going to post something similar. Rarely have I been to a massive stadium show with amazing sound. The big O in Montreal is especially bad with the way it can echo around depending on where the speakers are setup and pointing. I prefer an arena show any day of the week, especially since modern arenas are built with shows in mind and have amazing built in sound most of the time.

Sep 19, 2008
1693511732142.png

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So after going both days, I can honestly say, it was the worst concert experience I've ever had. You couldn't hear shit. The stage setup was awful. A big circle of speakers going in multiple directions making it echo. Apparently its been this way the entire tour.

Were Pantera any better?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I saw them back in 2017 at Metlife Stadium in New Jersey (Giants and Jets home field). They played with Volbeat & Avenge Sevenfold. It was a great show , they are fantastic live. I should of went to go see them play 1 of their 2 shows or even both back in early August when they came through here again. I can understand if people are complaining about the sound quality or whatever since they are using a stage setup that opens up pretty much the whole stadium they play in for seating. They still are great live regardless of whether you dislike their music post Injustice For All.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I have tickets for both shows at Commonwealth in Edmonton next summer and the sound comments are definitely concerning. Doesn't help that Commonwealth Stadium, quite frankly, is a dump.

Still stoked based on the setlists I've seen.

72 Seasons just hasn't hit me quite like Hardwired did. The highs on Hardwired just blow Seasons away. That said, I'm in love with Inamorata and Chasing Light, and James is sounding really good. I've hovered around a 6/10 for Seasons, which honestly, at this point for Metallica, I'm not mad about.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00