Rumor: Messier joining the Oilers?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Even if it's Mark Messier I'm sick and tired of these guys hiring old friends. The 80's are well behind us yet we sit here today with guys like Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish (hasn't been overly bad but still), Kelly Buchberger, Steve Smith etc with important roles.. I think maybe they should take a hint from Eakins. The locker room was filled with pictures of the 80's and he cleared them all out. Now we get this news.. it never ends with this organization. No question Kevin Lowe has been the backbone to all of it.

I guess the positive side to this is Mark wouldn't come in to town to 'be friends' but still..

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd only want Messier in if he was taking Lowe's job. Anything else would be a huge joke.

Seriously.

I almost want Brian Burke.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Hard to comment on this without knowing what role he'd play, but he should be judged on the job he does, not what NHL teams he's played for in the past, or players he used to share a locker room with.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'd only want Messier in if he was taking Lowe's job. Anything else would be a huge joke.

Seriously.

almost? i think Katz missed a great opportunity to skid Lowe with an immediate upgrade. i wish we had Burke.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hard to comment on this without knowing what role he'd play, but he should be judged on the job he does, not what NHL teams he's played for in the past, or players he used to share a locker room with.

Can't you say the same thing about him getting a job? He should be hired based on what he has done in hockey after being a player. Not based on the NHL teams he has played for or the players he shared a locker room.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Seriously.

What do you mean almost? We missed a massive opportunity letting him go to Calgary. I'd be much happier with him running the show than what we have now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How about we judge him on his actual experience as an NHL executive. Aside from being Sather's lackey he has none. If we haven't learned by now that bringing unqualified people into the organization doesn't help we probably never will.

sheeve

Mar 17, 2012
sounds like the snack attack wont be tossing around some deeeeelicious old dutch potato chips anymore

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What do you mean almost? We missed a massive opportunity letting him go to Calgary. I'd be much happier with him running the show than what we have now.

Katz is in love with Lowe. THere's no way it could've happened.

Burke wouldn't work under Lowe and Katz wouldn't fire Lowe to make way for Burke.

Oct 15, 2008
Meh.

The name Messier carries weight everywhere around the league still. As long as he isn't gifted charge of a terribly important portion of the team I don't see how it could harm the club.

Old boy's club or not, I don't see how having Messier around the team could be a bad thing.

Harm the club?

No playoffs for seven years and counting............

Harm the club.:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Seriously.

This comment makes no sense. Why is it one job and only one job? There are literally tonnes of jobs that Messier could do with this club.

I just don't understand why he is leaving the Rags. Seems like if he wanted to be GM that would be the best place for him.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Seriously.

If they are going to replace Lowe, I'd rather it was with someone more qualified to be GM, not less.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Even if it's Mark Messier I'm sick and tired of these guys hiring old friends. The 80's are well behind us yet we sit here today with guys like Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish (hasn't been overly bad but still), Kelly Buchberger, Steve Smith etc with important roles.. I think maybe they should take a hint from Eakins. The locker room was filled with pictures of the 80's and he cleared them all out. Now we get this news.. it never ends with this organization. No question Kevin Lowe has been the backbone to all of it.

I guess the positive side to this is Mark wouldn't come in to town to 'be friends' but still..
It's really too bad that Kevin Lowe has been such an --- ---- for all of these years. Had he been a nicer guy then maybe he could have made more friends and have a much larger pool to draw from when he was looking for coaches and executives.:groucho:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He adds 6 more Cups. That's 12 Cups with Lowe and Messier. We will be unstoppable.

It doesn't matter if you won them as a player or as a GM, coach or some position under management. No difference at all. You're automatically better than anyone who dares to question you.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If they are going to replace Lowe, I'd rather it was with someone more qualified to be GM, not less.

You do know that MacTavish is the GM not Lowe. President of Hockey ops is just a made up position to employ Lowe. If it was a some random name no one would care if that guy really existed. It has always been the GM and the coach.. Seems like many here like to take shots at Lowe for the sake of taking shots.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I'm tired of the canadian old boys club. They've proven nada.
"If we want to win
we need a fin
Bring back Esa Tikanen"
YrUEr34.gif

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
He adds 6 more Cups. That's 12 Cups with Lowe and Messier. We will be unstoppable.

It doesn't matter if you won them as a player or as a GM, coach or some position under management. No difference at all. You're automatically better than anyone who dares to question you.

I like the sarcasm:yo: . Man K Lowe sure has come off like a d-bag lately. Either he is an entitled failure filled to the brim with denial, arrogance and vigor, or he is a wounded animal on it's last legs. And now we're set to bring in another entitled old boy. This organization reminds me of a tumor just growing bigger and bigger. I think it's time for surgery to severe our ties to past.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You do know that MacTavish is the GM not Lowe. President of Hockey ops is just a made up position to employ Lowe. If it was a some random name no one would care if that guy really existed. It has always been the GM and the coach.. Seems like many here like to take shots at Lowe for the sake of taking shots.
You get that Lowe, as president, was the guy that hired Mactavish as Gm right? It isn't just some made up position to keep him employed. He is the head of an organization that hasn't made the playoffs for seven years. Forget the FACT that it was Lowe as GM that drove the team off a cliff in the first place, being as bad as they've been for as long as they have leaves him open to every bit of criticism he gets. We can argue all day about who is actually making all the decisions with that huge stable of executives they have. The fact is when you are the top guy the buck stops with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad