Rumor: Messier joining the Oilers?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
You get that Lowe, as president, was the guy that hired Mactavish as Gm right? It isn't just some made up position to keep him employed. He is the head of an organization that hasn't made the playoffs for seven years. Forget the FACT that it was Lowe as GM that drove the team off a cliff in the first place, being as bad as they've been for as long as they have leaves him open to every bit of criticism he gets. We can argue all day about who is actually making all the decisions with that huge stable of executives they have. The fact is when you are the top guy the buck stops with you.

so what? He has a GM that looks to be on the right page and is making good deals. Definately trying to make moves.
The coach looks competent and is seemingly saying the right things and making all the right moves
The team looks stacked with high end skill.
You guys want to run Lowe under a bus for what exactly?

You all really want Burke to run the show and bring in changes? if yes then dont get too attached to players like Eberle and Nuge.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Can't you say the same thing about him getting a job? He should be hired based on what he has done in hockey after being a player. Not based on the NHL teams he has played for or the players he shared a locker room.

How about we judge him on his actual experience as an NHL executive. Aside from being Sather's lackey he has none. If we haven't learned by now that bringing unqualified people into the organization doesn't help we probably never will.

Again, it depends on what the role in the organization is.

The Wings hired Stevie Y as team vice president and alternate governor. Prior to that, he had no front office experience. Are you saying that was a poor hiring decision by the Wings?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Again, it depends on what the role in the organization is.

The Wings hired Stevie Y as team vice president and alternate governor. Prior to that, he had no front office experience. Are you saying that was a poor hiring decision by the Wings?
Are you seriously comparing what's gone on in Detroit to what's happened here. The Wings have had a history of tremendous success under Ken Holland. His moves usually work out very well. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants to do including mentoring a former player. Kevin Lowe's moves haven't worked out very well. How many coaches have been hired and fired without any success? He hired one GM without any experience and fired him after five pathetic years only to hire another GM without any experience. Lowe hasn't earned the right to continue with his off the board moves because so many have failed. He'd have been history years ago if he was employed by any other team in the league.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
@JSportsnet: While nothing is official,don't be surprised if Mark Messier surfaces part-time in Edmonton. He'll likely do some scouting/project work.

@JSportsnet: Messier has full time gig with Kingsbridge Arena project in NYC,but doesn't want to be totally out of the show,in case an NHL job comes up.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Are you seriously comparing what's gone on in Detroit to what's happened here. The Wings have had a history of tremendous success under Ken Holland. His moves usually work out very well. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants to do including mentoring a former player. Kevin Lowe's moves haven't worked out very well. How many coaches have been hired and fired without any success? He hired one GM without any experience and fired him after five pathetic years only to hire another GM without any experience. Lowe hasn't earned the right to continue with his off the board moves because so many have failed. He'd have been history years ago if he was employed by any other team in the league.

I'm not seriously comparing them, and in fact, if you read my posts, I'm not comparing them at all.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
@JSportsnet: While nothing is official,don't be surprised if Mark Messier surfaces part-time in Edmonton. He'll likely do some scouting/project work.

@JSportsnet: Messier has full time gig with Kingsbridge Arena project in NYC,but doesn't want to be totally out of the show,in case an NHL job comes up.

in other words, fly to Edmonton or stay in NYC and B.S with Lowe and MacT over the good old days while Katz listens intently to Messier and the gang

all the while getting paid to do so..

bottom line: a very small position to stay relevant in the NHL

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not seriously comparing them, and in fact, if you read my posts, I'm not comparing them at all.
You asked me if I thought that Holland hiring Yzerman was a mistake and I said Holland has a history of winning and with winning gives you the leeway to take chances with people. When you lose with as many different people as Lowe has every questionable decision is put under the microscope. You are not in a position to be mentoring anybody or to take on any projects because you haven't proven you have anything to teach an inexperienced person. So much ego and arrogance in this organization with absolutely nothing to back it up. This is why people continue to take shots at Lowe.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
in other words, fly to Edmonton or stay in NYC and B.S with Lowe and MacT over the good old days while Katz listens intently to Messier and the gang

all the while getting paid to do so..

bottom line: a very small position to stay relevant in the NHL
Yup. Called it. Just a tiny, pointless gift from Katz to Moose.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
That just about covers it. You may want to add cementhead in there too.:nod:

Excellent!!!
Then we can butt heads with Burke and win by a knockout.

Semenko standing beside and behind Lowe in a custom Italian suit, saying absolutely nothing but giving the goonist look ever. And Lowe says to Burke "fuhgeddaboudit" and Burke cowers, tears up and backs away.

Semenko as a negotiation tool.

Last edited:

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Maybe Mac-T will pass the torch off to Mess in the '17-'18 season after 4 years as GM and jump up to Sr. VP of Hockey Ops.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Messier has had plenty of chances to come back to the Oilers. They offered him a contract before he went to Vancouver to play for 2 years and then work in the front office for life. Coming out of the lockout he was offered a contract to play for one year and he decided to retire instead. He was offered the HC job before we hired Kruger. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I read about not living anywhere near Edmonton.

As for Lowe vs Burke, can I vote for "none of the above"? I wanted Jim Nill as GM personally.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Mark Messier is an embarrassment to the human race.

He should be banned from Edmonton for life ... life I say!

:p:

I don't have any problem with Messier, just Lowe giving a buddy a work from home allowance.

Petro Points said:
You guys want to run Lowe under a bus for what exactly?:

When Kevin Lowe took over control of the Oilers, we were a playoff team four years in a row on a tight as hell budget. That was in 2000. Not including the first year he was on the job, his teams have made the playoffs twice and missed nine times and counting... (while the budget has grown)

I think Lowe is a great man and Oiler, but it's obvious he is in way over his head and a change; in leadership, direction and philosophy, is greatly needed.

MacT and Messier are more of the same and entirely unqualified and inexperienced

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad