Post-Game Talk: Merry Christmas

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I see the Howard hate is in full effect :blah:
So, let's analyze this:
1. First goal is a weird bounce that comes off the back boards and zips straight out toward goal. The goalie's expecting that to go around the boards. The puck is moving pretty fast, so his first instinct is to hug the post. Could he have caught that with his glove or stopped with his stick? Maybe. Chances are it still deflects to an incoming Palmieri and ends up in the back of the net. The key play here, however, is we have 3 people back. Two of them stop skating completely, letting one Devil just jump in between them and get a breakaway rebound. All Howard's fault, right?
2. Wings' defense lets Tootoo sit all alone on top of the crease for a tip into an empty net. Howard sucks, right?
3. Wings' defense let Schlemko skate all alone into the circle and snipe one into the top corner. Howard is terrible, amirite?
4. Defense with a terrible turnover and Howard with terrible rebound control that leads to another empty net tap in. Damn you, Howard! Oh wait, that was Mrazek. Move along. It's all on the defense. :clap:

Just keep calm and blame Howard/Blashill.
That is the second game in a row that Howard misplayed the puck after missing the puck on the way to the boards leading to a goal. I agree the second was on the d. Third was a wrist shot from 30 ft no screen goalie has to. Stop that.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I thought Jurco brought some nice energy when he was out there. Maybe Blash should try him out with Sheahan and Larkin. Datsyuk needs Helm (who I have been hard, but has been playing better) off his line. Nice to see Green on the PP. Has Gus been out on the pp at all? I didnt seem to notice him.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As usual, this board is quite after a win and the sky is falling after a loss. Never change. Sometimes I feel like people here would rather complain.

Sure. We'd rather complain than seeing a good game against an offensively harmless team.
Complaining for the sake of complaining. Cause - you know - we were awesome the other night.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Don Cherry would not be happy with that 4th goal.:laugh:
I can hear him say, "use the boards to get the puck out".

1st goal the defense just quit on the play. Maybe they thought Howard would freeze it but dear god that was ugly.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
That is the second game in a row that Howard misplayed the puck after missing the puck on the way to the boards leading to a goal. I agree the second was on the d. Third was a wrist shot from 30 ft no screen goalie has to. Stop that.

The shot was taken from near the space between the two circles. That's about 15 ft. It was also a total snipe to the top corner, since he was left all alone to just skate in and tee it up.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Except it's a little more complicated than "hey the puck got past the goalie, therefore the goalie sucks and it's the coach's fault for not making them win as much as I personally find acceptable!"

Not really. His save % was .500. Awful any way you look at it. It needs to be way better than that. Howard deserves all the criticism he is getting. He is AT BEST a low-end starting goalie. Bring on the Mrazek era. Its gonna be pretty embaressing when we are stuck with a 5 million dollar backup goalie.

Not sure why we are scrambling the d pairs with terrible decisions but refusing to shuffle our forward lines.

Our whole top 9 needs to be re-worked right now.

It sure does. Blashill is way too stubborn. Datsyuk-Richards-Helm doesn't work. It is evident to me that Datsyuk is still an unreal player, but his stats don't show it because he is playing with a speedster with zero finishing abilities, and a veteran way past his prime.

We tried Tatar-Datsyuk-Larkin for a total of 2 periods, I'd give it another shot, but actually let them get comfortable together.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Tatar-Datsyuk-Larkin
Helm-Sheahan-Richards
4th

or maybe even try to reuinte 13&40, although I'm not really sure Tatar,Nyquist and Larkin would work together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunting Bow*

The shot was taken from near the space between the two circles. That's about 15 ft. It was also a total snipe to the top corner, since he was left all alone to just skate in and tee it up.

It was NOT top corner it went right over Howard hip high glove.

Hunting Bow*

Not really. His save % was .500. Awful any way you look at it. It needs to be way better than that. Howard deserves all the criticism he is getting. He is AT BEST a low-end starting goalie. Bring on the Mrazek era. Its gonna be pretty embaressing when we are stuck with a 5 million dollar backup goalie.

It sure does. Blashill is way too stubborn. Datsyuk-Richards-Helm doesn't work. It is evident to me that Datsyuk is still an unreal player, but his stats don't show it because he is playing with a speedster with zero finishing abilities, and a veteran way past his prime.

We tried Tatar-Datsyuk-Larkin for a total of 2 periods, I'd give it another shot, but actually let them get comfortable together.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Tatar-Datsyuk-Larkin
Helm-Sheahan-Richards
4th

or maybe even try to reuinte 13&40, although I'm not really sure Tatar,Nyquist and Larkin would work together.

Each game Howard stays with Detroit the lower his trade value goes. The only problem I see right now is if he is traded who would be the backup goalie?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Sure. We'd rather complain than seeing a good game against an offensively harmless team.
Complaining for the sake of complaining. Cause - you know - we were awesome the other night.

I don't mind constructive criticism. It's the "sky is falling" posts after every loss that get annoying. But you don't see those people anywhere during a win streak.

Also, I don't think Detroit really played all that bad last night. A couple defensive lapses and awful goaltending for a 3 minute span. It's not something that isn't correctable. Those games just happen sometimes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know what the right line combinations are, I just know we need a shake-up.

I'd like to see Nyquist paired with Zetterberg, Tatar paired with Datsyuk, and Sheahan and Jurco on the 3rd line based on their recent play. I'd build around that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't know what the right line combinations are, I just know we need a shake-up.

I'd like to see Nyquist paired with Zetterberg, Tatar paired with Datsyuk, and Sheahan and Jurco on the 3rd line based on their recent play. I'd build around that.

Other than one play over the last 5 games he's been almost completely invisible. In my mind he's pretty much played himself off of a healthy Detroit team.

Aug 6, 2012
Be done if you like. Fact is Howard let in 2 soft goals and the team lost because of those goals.

Honestly the worst goal of all was the Kindl giveaway. I was pretty confident we were going to win that game going into the third, there was tons of energy in the building. Then Kindl happened and the Joe went silent.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I try not to get too high with our wins or too low with our losses. We are a mediocre team and we aren't going to win many games with poor goaltending. Mrazek and Jimmy would have to carry this team if we are to have any real success. As of now, neither are showing they capable of doing that for any sustained period. We'll make the playoffs and first or second round exit.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Honestly the worst goal of all was the Kindl giveaway. I was pretty confident we were going to win that game going into the third, there was tons of energy in the building. Then Kindl happened and the Joe went silent.

The fact that Kindl is even still on this team illustrates how mediocre we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad