Post-Game Talk: Merry Christmas

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I never put the blame on one person :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Howard was bad this game, the stats prove it and the eye test proves it, pretty straight forward.

Ok, I'll list struggling teams the last little while, since you think it's so easy:

Toronto, Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Florida, Philly, Columbus, and Buffalo. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like I said there will always be garbage teams. (Toronto, Carolina, Columbus)

Everyone besides Toronto, Carolina, Columbus) is contending for a playoff spot in the east. (Except Pittsburgh, and Buffalo) They really arent in mediocrity. But they arent really bad either they are like in the middle of both.

In the west you have EVERYONE contending for a playoff spot right now except Colorado (sorta) and winnipeg.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Like I said there will always be garbage teams. (Toronto, Carolina, Columbus)

Everyone besides Toronto, Carolina, Columbus) is contending for a playoff spot in the east. (Except Pittsburgh, and Buffalo) They really arent in mediocrity. But they arent really bad either they are like in the middle of both.

In the west you have EVERYONE contending for a playoff spot right now except Colorado (sorta) and winnipeg.

You make it seem lie contending = contender. I don't agree.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Really? No matter the situation, the goalie is always somewhat responsible? Did you just type that with a straight face?
The #1 goalie rule is to always be in a good position to stop the puck. Therefore, things such as great deflections, screens, snipes and empty net tap-ins aren't usually looked at as "soft" goals by anyone with basic hockey knowledge.

I guess Notre Dame hockey players and coaches don't know a thing. Because that's what they told me at the age of 10 when I skated with them. I also played goalie

If I was Howard, I would be blaming myself.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I never put the blame on one person :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Howard was bad this game, the stats prove it and the eye test proves it, pretty straight forward.

Speaking of eye tests, which part of my goal analysis did you disagree with? Please elaborate with more than "the puck crossed the line on 3 of the 6 shots, therefore the goalie sucked."

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Speaking of eye tests, which part of my goal analysis did you disagree with? Please elaborate with more than "the puck crossed the line on 3 of the 6 shots, therefore the goalie sucked."

I don't need to. 3 on 6 is all I need. that's simply atrocious. :laugh::laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You make it seem lie contending = contender. I don't agree.

How are they not contending for a playoff spot? Everyone in the pacific is 1/2/3 wins away from being in the division playoffs. Colorado is really the only tweener (in the east its Pittsburgh and maybe Buffalo) while winnipeg is really the only one thats totally done.

In the east its the same thing. Except for The garbage teams (Toronto,Columbus,Carolina) and Pittsburgh (Colorado land) and Buffalo

3 teams out of 30 are complete garbage right now and wont make the playoffs. winnipeg and buffalo are close to joining that to make it 5. Colorado and Pittsburgh are in tweener land and could still make it.

thats 25 teams out of 30 right now are able to be in the playoffs. Not cup contenders. playoffs.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I guess Notre Dame hockey players and coaches don't know a thing. Because that's what they told me at the age of 10 when I skated with them. I also played goalie

If I was Howard, I would be blaming myself.

Good for you. That doesn't make you an expert on goaltending and according to you and your ND coaches (although I seriously doubt that's what they were trying to teach you) every goaltender in the history of the sport is bad and responsible for not stopping every single shot on net no matter the circumstances.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Good for you. That doesn't make you an expert on goaltending and according to you and your ND coaches (although I seriously doubt that's what they were trying to teach you) every goaltender in the history of the sport is bad and responsible for not stopping every single shot on net no matter the circumstances.

Not every goal is a goaltenders fault. But 90% of them are. I mean unless you played goalie you wouldn't understand (if you did I have no idea how you don't think like that) Every goal I let in It wouldn't l ruin my confidence but I would feel that it's my fault and just keep stopping the pucks.

Goalies get paid to stop pucks. Thats all. Anything else you do (like play the puck) is just a bonus. Thats why you see Dom Hasek flopping all over the place. He did everything he could to stop the puck.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Some people give goalies a pass when they let in shots. Just think how a top goalie would transform this team. Maybe you don't think it would matter because Howard is basically Lunquist?

Because Lundqvist has never been lit up in his career or had a bad game, right? And angry NYR fans have never called him a loser.
Since you love stats so much, here's some relevant ones for you: Howard is #14 career-wise among active goalies in SV% (ahead of Quick) and #10 in GAA (ahead of Price).

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Not every goal is a goaltenders fault. But 90% of them are. I mean unless you played goalie you wouldn't understand (if you did I have no idea how you don't think like that) Every goal I let in It wouldn't l ruin my confidence but I would feel that it's my fault and just keep stopping the pucks.

Goalies get paid to stop pucks. Thats all. Anything else you do (like play the puck) is just a bonus. Thats why you see Dom Hasek flopping all over the place. He did everything he could to stop the puck.

Ok, so going by your numbers, good goalies should have approximately 90% SV. Howard has a lifetime 0.916 SV%. The highest SV% among active goalies is 0.926. So what's the problem?

And to be fair, I see what you're trying to say here and I agree with you. If the goalie has a chance to fight for the puck, he'd better damn well do it, but that's not the same as saying he's always at fault for goals no matter what. His responsibility is to be in a good position and to give his best effort in stopping the puck. If either one of those were missing, then I'd say the goal is on him. If both of those conditions are met and the puck still goes in, it's not his fault. I find hockey fans in general to be super harsh on their team's goalies and the vast majority of those judgements are unfair.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Ok, so going by your numbers, good goalies should have approximately 90% SV. Howard has a lifetime 0.916 SV%. The highest SV% among active goalies is 0.926. So what's the problem?

And to be fair, I see what you're trying to say here and I agree with you. If the goalie has a chance to fight for the puck, he'd better damn well do it, but that's not the same as saying he's always at fault for goals no matter what. His responsibility is to be in a good position and to give his best effort in stopping the puck. If either one of those were missing, then I'd say the goal is on him. If both of those conditions are met and the puck still goes in, it's not his fault. I find hockey fans in general to be super harsh on their team's goalies and the vast majority of those judgements are unfair.

I'm not saying every goal is on Howard but most of them are just like mrazek. If this was mrazek in net I would be the same thing if people tried defending it. Put Howard in for mrazek a goal an I be saying the game thing about it. Mrazeks goal really wasn't his fault. He got the puck to his team his defender panicked for no reason and he made the initial save but it still went in soooo yeah. Last year Ericsson ur the puck in his own net when had had all the time in the world to make the pass. I think howie was in net and that wasn't his fault. I'm sure people blame him though

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What is the deal with the ice at JLA? Never seen so many bouncing pucks on simple passes before. Team needs to pump up the AC it was so warm inside you could have worn a t-shirt and not been cold. Absolutely atrocious ice conditions.
I've had the impression that the ice at JLA has been bad all year. Not sure what's up since it's usually good.

I really think we need to get rid of either Nyquist or Tatar. They're too similar. Especially if their coach continues to play them on the same line. Watching them lose board battle after board battle, getting blown off the puck, not able to create their own space... Trade one of them away for some muscle.
The only thing we should trade them for is defense. I don't know, mostly I'm just torn on them being on the same line. They have moments where they look fantastic, mostly when they have possession in the o-zone. But a lot of the time they're not very effective. Feels like a waste to have them both on the 3rd line when our top 6 isn't tearing it up. Want to see Tatar with Datsyuk.

Larkin, the only player with a postive plus/minus. Imagine that.
He got lucky on the 1st goal, 4-on-4 that turned into a NJ powerplay just before the goal was scored. But he was probably our best forward this game.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Why on earth is Blash still sticking to his lines? It's not as if he has much success with them recently, why not finally breaking them up?
Our division sucks right now, but still we are too stupid to take advantage of it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I miss the 3rd period putting Z & D together tactic.

This was a frustrating loss. But it was gifted away and easy to correct. We have troubles against teams that sit back and play on mistakes, because most of our players don't like to get their hands dirty enough. We scored three on Schneider anyway, and that should've been enough.

Hunting Bow*

I've been saying for years that Howard is horribly inconsistent. Look at his career as a whole. It's a roller coaster. Everyone needs to realize that Howard is NOT a number 1 goalie any longer. We can find 100 excuses for his play, but it changes nothing. Goals 1 and 3 last night not were on Howard, you can say the defense didn't help, but Howard sucked equally.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
As usual, this board is quite after a win and the sky is falling after a loss. Never change. Sometimes I feel like people here would rather complain.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I've been saying for years that Howard is horribly inconsistent. Look at his career as a whole. It's a roller coaster. Everyone needs to realize that Howard is NOT a number 1 goalie any longer. We can find 100 excuses for his play, but it changes nothing. Goals 1 and 3 last night not were on Howard, you can say the defense didn't help, but Howard sucked equally.

Oh good, it's this argument again.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not saying every goal is on Howard but most of them are just like mrazek. If this was mrazek in net I would be the same thing if people tried defending it. Put Howard in for mrazek a goal an I be saying the game thing about it. Mrazeks goal really wasn't his fault. He got the puck to his team his defender panicked for no reason and he made the initial save but it still went in soooo yeah. Last year Ericsson ur the puck in his own net when had had all the time in the world to make the pass. I think howie was in net and that wasn't his fault. I'm sure people blame him though

I think that Mrazek's tendency to play the puck bit him, there. Put the puck to a defenseman under pressure and it led to a turnover.

I know people like that Mrazek plays the puck, but I would have preferred him to just eat it and get a faceoff in that situation. Even before Kindl turned it over the pass worried me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure why we are scrambling the d pairs with terrible decisions but refusing to shuffle our forward lines.

Our whole top 9 needs to be re-worked right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk was on the ice for two shot attempts against total last night with about 20 min of IT. Unreal. Dude's still a possession monster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3