Post-Game Talk: Merry Christmas

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why on earth is Blash still sticking to his lines? It's not as if he has much success with them recently, why not finally breaking them up?
Our division sucks right now, but still we are too stupid to take advantage of it.

He pretty much put the lines in a blender in the third period, unless you're referring to defensive pairings.

Actual Thought*

There certainly are more mediocre teams nowadays, but the 2-4 elite teams during any given year will end up determining who wins the cup, while the middle of the pack teams continue to hope they will get "lucky" one year. That of course will never happen. It's a good marketing gimmick for casual fans, but parity doesn't mean mediocre teams win the cup.

Parity means all the teams are the same. There is no such thing as an "elite" team in today's NHL. Mediocre teams win the cup every year now.

You seem to think you know exactly which teams can or cannot win a cup. Who will win it this year? Who will the other finalist be?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't call the Chicago teams the past five or so years mediocre. They aren't the 80s Oilers, but they aren't bad.

Actual Thought*

I wouldn't call the Chicago teams the past five or so years mediocre. They aren't the 80s Oilers, but they aren't bad.

They aren't even close to as good as any of the great teams pre-cap. They have a few talented players much like every team in the league. They have won a bunch of cups but they have done so by defeating mediocre teams and I would argue the league has actually gotten much worse in the time between their first cup and their last cup. It amazes me that people prefer parity when the result is a completely inferior product.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Parity means all the teams are the same. There is no such thing as an "elite" team in today's NHL. Mediocre teams win the cup every year now.

You seem to think you know exactly which teams can or cannot win a cup. Who will win it this year? Who will the other finalist be?

I mean you never really could predict who was gonna win. Except the Dynasty of the Habs/Oilers/Islanders

I liked the whole 90 era really up until like 2005 or 2010 Alot of different teams won the cup and it didnt have the parity aspect. Then you have the elite teams in Colorado,Det,Dallas,New Jersey

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They aren't even close to as good as any of the great teams pre-cap. They have a few talented players much like every team in the league. They have won a bunch of cups but they have done so by defeating mediocre teams and I would argue the league has actually gotten much worse in the time between their first cup and their last cup. It amazes me that people prefer parity when the result is a completely inferior product.

Colorado and Detroit was always a must watch series mostly. then Colorado and Dallas was pretty good. and maybe 1 more. and then of course you have the stanley cup final

Right now it's just the stanley cup final. And it's kind of boring.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah it's Blashill's fault that he didn't pick Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty last night.

well. He could have put Ouellet in the lineup. To make the roster better.

But were just going to send him down because he is 100x worse then Kindl

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Chicago is mediocre and they beat a bunch of mediocre teams to win the cup. Now that's priceless. And they won with their captain being inferior to Dylan Larkin too, right?

Funny how the league is full of parity yet the same two teams have won the cup five out of the past six years. One would think with all teams being so equal, such a thing simply wouldn't happen.

If you think the Hawks are mediocre, you need to give Dr.Rahmani a call.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wouldn't call the Hawks mediocre but in comparison to the dynasties of the past eh it's no contest. The Hawks have been pretty reliably good to very good because they have a better core locked up than most of the rest of the teams and have been solid at filling up the roster. But like all teams in the cap era their depth is pretty meh if you compare it with the great Habs or Oilers teams and that also holds true - to a lesser extent - in comparison to the 90s Wings and Avs.

Aug 6, 2012
Chicago is mediocre and they beat a bunch of mediocre teams to win the cup. Now that's priceless. And they won with their captain being inferior to Dylan Larkin too, right?

Funny how the league is full of parity yet the same two teams have won the cup five out of the past six years. One would think with all teams being so equal, such a thing simply wouldn't happen.

Hawks are my favorite to win it all this year too... they are simply on another level than the rest of the league.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

Pre cap teams would have ***** slapped both of those teams take precap Colorado for example

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Doesn't matter what teams were, it matters what teams are. Chicago is consistently the best team in the league and they have the cups to show for it.

Hoping that DRW continues mediocrity and finally starts to get rewarded for it is pretty ridiculous. They have been rewarded with first round exits over and over again, right where the mediocre teams belong. The great teams are winning series and cups

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hawks are my favorite to win it all this year too... they are simply on another level than the rest of the league.

no team has won a back to back since the late 90s. and before that it was the early 90s

Last time a team won back to back was like 15+ years ago. Before that it was like 20+

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After finally watching this one I can relate to some of the comments. It did feel like the Wings could/should have had it. I like Jersey though they are a tough team that can grind out wins. Their 4th goal early in the 3rd period was huge- they deserved the 2 points.

Completely dominant game from Datsyuk...except the pass from Smith around the net right by his stick on the 2nd goal. :laugh: May be that pissed him off, the rest of the game Dats was everywhere, physical, beasting every shift against 2 or 3 players. He looks stronger than ever and his skating is returning as well. Talk about "heavy" sticks Datsyuk plays like his is solid iron, just ridiculous possession.

I'm warming up to Richards at this point they've been our best line the past few. It makes me think that the Wings are not believing that Nyquist and Tatar are mature enough to play in the top 6 without support. Again they (and Sheahan) overall had a pretty quiet night (as always against 3rd line opponents). Richards and Abdelkader do have the power to play a man's game that I'm not sure Gus and Tats have proven yet- may be the 2nd line is the best combo we've got right now. :dunno:

Amazing how good Marchenko is playing, he's slowly surpassing Smith (I won't even mention Kindl in the same breath, haha). Smith stands out in good ways and bad while Marchenko solidly plays his game making very few mistakes. He's going to keep developing physically and with his sense I bet that guy stays as a Red Wing!

Glad to see Jurco make a little bit of noise this game. Won some battles, made a few plays, got some shots on net. Good stuff hope he keeps it up. Our 4th line with Andersson has not been bad at all.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I am also annoyed at the refs. New Jersey literally tacking people and they give Kronwall a penalty?
This loss was referees, then Howard then Kindl.
Was at the game. Howard on the first goal and Kindl on the last goal had terrible plays. I thought Kindl played very aggressive and physically engaged the entire 3rd period though. Smith was ok.

What is the deal with the ice at JLA? Never seen so many bouncing pucks on simple passes before. Team needs to pump up the AC it was so warm inside you could have worn a t-shirt and not been cold. Absolutely atrocious ice conditions.

If the ice ice bad, it is always a big disadvantage for the Wings .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad