Confirmed with Link: Menell to Toronto for a conditional 2022 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Just so we're clear, Guerin could've had Menell for a 1 year contract that paid him somewhere between $400K and $750K, but he threw that away for a conditional 7th round pick? And we're the idiots for wondering why anyone would care that much about $300K? And to top it off, we're now thinking this was an intelligent move by Guerin? WTF is going on here?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Just so we're clear, Guerin could've had Menell for a 1 year contract that paid him somewhere between $400K and $750K, but he threw that away for a conditional 7th round pick? And we're the idiots for wondering why anyone would care that much about $300K? And to top it off, we're now thinking this was an intelligent move by Guerin? WTF is going on here?
1st a 1 way contract has a NHL minimum of 750k not 400k like you stated.

Where's everyone that was saying Menell deserved a 1 way contract ???? Menell is lucky BG traded his rights and did him a favor.

His value isn't what some people on here thought period. The league market has spoken and BG was correct.

Toronto OVER PAYS their AHL players because they can. they have paid UFA guys 1 way money that never played in 1 NHL game.

I'll say BG offered 200 - 250k AHL / 750k NHL to Menell. Remember he's a RFA so his value is less than a UFA like Mermis

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1st a 1 way contract has a NHL minimum of 750k not 400k like you stated.

Where's everyone that was saying Menell deserved a 1 way contract ???? Menell is lucky BG traded his rights and did him a favor.

His value isn't what some people on here thought period. The league market has spoken and BG was correct.

Toronto OVER PAYS their AHL players because they can. they have paid UFA guys 1 way money that never played in 1 NHL game.

I'll say BG offered 200 - 250k AHL / 750k NHL to Menell. Remember he's a RFA so his value is less than a UFA like Mermis

I think a lot of us were saying that since he isn't waiver exempt, this didn't really matter much at all.

We'll see what happens if Toronto tries to send him down.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Personally, I still don't like the trade, and I would rather have Menell than Merrill, at least until they prove me wrong. That said, it seems obvious that nobody wants to give Menell a 1-way, and that was reportedly the hill he had decided to die on in Minnesota. I think he finally accepted a 2-way was reality after negotiating with yet another front office and them being unwilling to give a 1-way as well.

The end result is that I think Menell was being slightly stupid for being unrelenting on the 1-way, when he really needed to just bet on himself and play his way onto the team. I also think Guerin was stupid for not signing the super-cheap defenseman with upside that he already had over a (potential) few hundred thousand dollars. If I were running a team I'm sure I'd make tons of mistakes, but I think one decision I'd be very comfortable about is potentially paying 300-500k extra (which only happens if the player gets stuck in the AHL) for a player's potential upside, rather than pay slightly more money to remove the upside from the equation altogether.

My conclusion is that everyone is stupid.
Yeah, including me, because this is probably a non-issue by the end of the season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Personally, I still don't like the trade, and I would rather have Menell than Merrill, at least until they prove me wrong. That said, it seems obvious that nobody wants to give Menell a 1-way, and that was reportedly the hill he had decided to die on in Minnesota. I think he finally accepted a 2-way was reality after negotiating with yet another front office and them being unwilling to give a 1-way as well.

The end result is that I think Menell was being slightly stupid for being unrelenting on the 1-way, when he really needed to just bet on himself and play his way onto the team. I also think Guerin was stupid for not signing the super-cheap defenseman with upside that he already had over a (potential) few hundred thousand dollars. If I were running a team I'm sure I'd make tons of mistakes, but I think one decision I'd be very comfortable about is potentially paying 300-500k extra (which only happens if the player gets stuck in the AHL) for a player's potential upside, rather than pay slightly more money to remove the upside from the equation altogether.

My conclusion is that everyone is stupid.
Yeah, including me, because this is probably a non-issue by the end of the season.
As soon as I saw the market results for his services, I moved on.

The league market has spoken on how he and his future is viewed. I'll go with that view until if/ when he proves the league wrong.

If it never happens? I'll just continue to not give much of a damn.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As soon as I saw the market results for his services, I moved on.

The league market has spoken on how he and his future is viewed. I'll go with that view until if/ when he proves the league wrong.

If it never happens? I'll just continue to not give much of a damn.
Seems perfectly fair.

Reactions: TaLoN

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
a low cost D man means nothing to a cap strapped team? how many friggin points does a player have to score in the ahl or khl before a gm gives him a fair shot????????????????????????????

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
a low cost D man means nothing to a cap strapped team? how many friggin points does a player have to score in the ahl or khl before a gm gives him a fair shot????????????????????????????
I saw the team signed 4 other low cost D-men.

They're a dime a dozen by NHL standards.

I'm not saying anything about him getting a fair shot, I'm just saying... the team and the league have watched him play much more than any of us and are clearly unimpressed.

Many players tear up the AHL and/ or the KHL, but never translate to the NHL.

I'm not going to sweat it since it appears everyone across the league are sceptical about his NHL future at this point.

If it was just us... ok, I can understand being a bit critical, but this isn't just us anymore. This is clearly how all 32 NHL teams worth of experts view him and his future currently.

If there was a better deal to be had, we would've had it, and he would've gotten what he wanted as well.

Obviously there's a lot of great front offices that don't see much of a future for him currently.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
absolutely

BUT there are only a few teams that will pay that AHL salary especially in Covid times
There are 26 players that make $400K or more on the AHL half of their two-way deals. 77 total players will make $300K or more in the AHL next year.

Pretty much every team is paying that AHL salary

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
absolutely

BUT there are only a few teams that will pay that AHL salary especially in Covid times
For a wealthy team like TOR paying your AHL players really well is one way to discourage them being taken by other teams who are more budget conscious.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
There are 26 players that make $400K or more on the AHL half of their two-way deals. 77 total players will make $300K or more in the AHL next year.

Pretty much every team is paying that AHL salary
For UFA'S , Vets, guys with at least 50-100 NHL games and without looking I'd bet that most of those 26 and 77 players have guarantees

Wild aren't paying those kind of numbers.

Mermis 300k with a guarantee of 350k is their highest paid player and Hicketts at 300k

where did you find AHL contracts / salaries at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad