Confirmed with Link: Menell to Toronto for a conditional 2022 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah that really isn't my point about the money. The guy wants to play in the NHL and he's been with the Wild for three years. He wants it, the problem is, personally for me, I'm not sold.

But you know what, the Wild didn't approach it the best way either. We SHOULD have given him more auditions over the three years to see what we have but we didnt. But that is where we are now, he wants security, the team didn't see enough to give him that and in my select viewings of him, I tend to agree with the team. I just wished i got more viewings.

It's not really about the lack of auditions. Everybody has no NHL experience until they do. And last year was weird enough that I'm not really factoring it in.

But, all you ask prospects to do on their way to the NHL is check the boxes in the places they are at. Menell did in the WHL, the AHL and the KHL, which is more than what we normally ask of a prospect.

That should lead him to having the upper hand as far as the #3RD spot this year, which would be the year that would tell us what his future with the organization is. For whatever reason (and personally, I'm going to believe what I'm going to believe about what that reason is), Guerin didn't feel like giving him that shot.

Reactions: fgobuzz and 2Pair

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's not really about the lack of auditions. Everybody has no NHL experience until they do. And last year was weird enough that I'm not really factoring it in.

But, all you ask prospects to do on their way to the NHL is check the boxes in the places they are at. Menell did in the WHL, the AHL and the KHL, which is more than what we normally ask of a prospect.

That should lead him to having the upper hand as far as the #3RD spot this year, which would be the year that would tell us what his future with the organization is. For whatever reason (and personally, I'm going to believe what I'm going to believe about what that reason is), Guerin didn't feel like giving him that shot.

I guess that is where you and I differ because while I agree with the sentiment, he's played 3 years in the AHL and thats about where I stop calling players prospects. I tend to look less on age and more on # of years in pro play. So I even saw Sturm more of a prospect than Menell last year.

From there on, my expectations for Menell is much higher, I wanted to see him contribute something in his short stint to show he was comfortable at the NHL level. Not necessarily produce points but as an offensive dman, I wanted to see him push the pace with the puck, find opportunities to generate some offense. But he was just kind of invisible and didn't seem steady. And again, because of my expectations for him, those were my personal requirements.

And again, happy to see him succeed because a good year in the KHL could actually mean something significant. Would have been nice to see him battle in camp. But its free agency and time for decisions unfortunately.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
If Guerin could have gotten a higher pick for Menell he would have. The seventh is a reflection of what other GMs think he is worth. It is not like he traded him for less than his value just to annoy posters here. We will know soon enough whether it was the right call.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sota Popinski

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If Guerin could have gotten a higher pick for Menell he would have. The seventh is a reflection of what other GMs think he is worth. It is not like he traded him for less than his value just to annoy posters here. We will know soon enough whether it was the right call.

The value is what it is. Probably more or less in the ball park. Maybe could have gotten a slightly higher pick.

People are upset at what's the point with such little value? We have an opening for him. He's dominated every level. We're going to end up signing or trading for a dumpster retread to play 3rd pairing, because BG wanted to quibble over 300k on a player that wouldn't pass through waivers anyways because he had hurt feelings.

It's just an unforced error because of his ego.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
You guys are projecting narratives on to Guerin's actions that you have no way of knowing are true. It happens over and over on this forum. It is really bizzare.

I've been a chef of upscale restaurants for most of my life which is also an industry that gets a lot of media coverage although not to the same degree as sports. My experience with that is that most speculation of motives is wrong and a lot of media narratives are misinformed. Unless you are in the room you dont know what is happening in the room.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
You guys are projecting narratives on to Guerin's actions that you have no way of knowing are true. It happens over and over on this forum. It is really bizzare.

I've been a chef of upscale restaurants for most of my life which is also an industry that gets a lot of media coverage although not to the same degree as sports. My experience with that is that most speculation of motives is wrong and a lot of media narratives are misinformed. Unless you are in the room you dont know what is happening in the room.

Yup and it's rather annoying as people talk as if its fact rather than opinion

Reactions: Minnesnota and P10p

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It's not really. Lack of concrete information breeds speculation.

Reactions: TaLoN

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Menell's career is going to die in Toronto. He was a perfect fit in Minny. I'm sad.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And they know more than we do...deferring to authority is not the slam you think it is.

Disagree.

There have been more than enough shitty moves by GMs league wide just today, let alone all time to use they more than we do in an discussion.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Deferring to authority because there is no reasonable explanation ... Nice
In this case, I will say - I find it telling how little the return was. It's not just our management that doesn't have faith in his game... it's the entire league. I'll shrug this off now, and only complain in hindsight if he proves everyone wrong.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Disagree.

There have been more than enough shitty moves by GMs league wide just today, let alone all time to use they more than we do in an discussion.
Every GM makes bad moves. That in no way means the average rube could do the job.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
While I've questioned a few moves BG has made and even am a bit concerned over a few more, this is the first one I just down right don't like.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
This move sucks, but remember when people were scared of losing Menell in the ED and some thought of ways to protect him? Just shows youwhat the FO thought of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->