Confirmed with Link: Menell to Toronto for a conditional 2022 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I mean, you can't get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Brackett to work with? Wonder if this is a gentleman's agreement with Dubas to keep his hands off Bogo(was a Leaf last year, might be his preferred destination), so we can sign him. If so, it makes a bit of sense, if we want to get bigger and tougher on the back end.

Don't try to rationalize a shitty decision. BG is just a grudge holding hypocrite.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Don't try to rationalize a shitty decision. BG is just a grudge holding hypocrite.

BG doesn't make moves based on player skill level. It's all culture fit or not culture fit and the culture being if BG likes you or not. If he doesn't you're gone. It doesn't matter the value back or what it does to the team short or long term. If he does, you'll get a long term deal. Makes me worried for Kaprizov. These kinds of differences is how it has started for others that eventually get shipped off. Where there is smoke with BG personality disputes it starts with all of the excuses of why concern is overblown and it ends with stuff like this. What a disaster.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
BG doesn't make moves based on player skill level. It's all culture fit or not culture fit and the culture being if BG likes you or not. If he doesn't you're gone. It doesn't matter the value back or what it does to the team short or long term. If he does, you'll get a long term deal. Makes me worried for Kaprizov. These kinds of differences is how it has started for others that eventually get shipped off. Where there is smoke with BG personality disputes it starts with all of the excuses of why concern is overblown and it ends with stuff like this. What a disaster.

Whole lot of hyperbole batman...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
On its face, this is the first Guerin move I legitimately don't understand at all. Seems like you'd want to sign your cheap young defenseman to that two year deal, at a time when you need cheap defensemen. This is one with upside, which is something you won't find in free agency.

Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes with this one, but from what I can see of it, I dislike it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
On its face, this is the first Guerin move I legitimately don't understand at all. Seems like you'd want to sign your cheap young defenseman to that two year deal, at a time when you need cheap defensemen. This is one with upside, which is something you won't find in free agency.

Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes with this one, but from what I can see of it, I dislike it.

We know what's going on behind the scenes, as it's been reported. Our GM is a hypocrite who can't understand why a player would do what's best for themselves, despite holding out twice as a player.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not a big deal IMO and think we reading way too much into it. Sounded like Menell wanted a secure spot, which I would understand after being part of the org for 3 years but Wild weren't comfortable with that, which I also understand because I have Addison, Dumba, and now Goligoski above him as the people you depend on for the PP.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I’ve been saying for over a year that Menell was behind Addison and he knew it. That was the main reason he went to khl along with the take it or leave it offer from BG.

Addison is nothing special in my opinion, which means nothing, but he is BGs guy period and he’s going to get every opportunity ahead of everyone else

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Menell's options last year were to play in a watered down league that only played half their games, sit around on a taxi squad not playing at all, or playing a full schedule in the 2nd best league in the world. Somehow, Guerin took issue with him doing, and excelling, at the last option.

On top of this, which is water under the bridge, are you trying to tell me he couldn't have gotten more than a conditional 7th for him? Guerin seems to make impulsive, bad deals.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Menell's options last year were to play in a watered down league that only played half their games, sit around on a taxi squad not playing at all, or playing a full schedule in the 2nd best league in the world. Somehow, Guerin took issue with him doing the last.

It wasn't even clear if the first option existed when he made the decision

Reactions: 57special

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Menell's options last year were to play in a watered down league that only played half their games, sit around on a taxi squad not playing at all, or playing a full schedule in the 2nd best league in the world. Somehow, Guerin took issue with him doing, and excelling, at the last option.

On top of this, which is water under the bridge, are you trying to tell me he couldn't have gotten more than a conditional 7th for him? Guerin seems to make impulsive, bad deals.

I think there might have been room to grab a non conditional 5th. But are we really arguing amongst ourselves from a 5th to a 7th?

I agree Menell made the right decision but I have no inclination that offense was taken. Like you said, he would have sat on the taxi squad and who takes offense to do that unless I'm missing a crucial BG quote here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think there might have been room to grab a non conditional 5th. But are we really arguing amongst ourselves from a 5th to a 7th?

I agree Menell made the right decision but I have no inclination that offense was taken. Like you said, he would have sat on the taxi squad and who takes offense to do that unless I'm missing a crucial BG quote here.
Guerin said in an interview on KFAN they they (the Wild) preferred that Menell did something else than go to the KHL, away from the team. I thought it was an odd statement, considering that there was no surety from the team that he would get any playing time, either in the NHL or AHL, in 2020-21.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Guerin said in an interview on KFAN they they (the Wild) preferred that Menell did something else than go to the KHL, away from the team. I though it was an odd statement, considering that there was no surety from the team that he would get any playing time, either in the NHL or AHL, in 2020-21.

Hm ... I guess I am not reading too much into that. Its you4 boss saying he would prefer his AHL/NHL tweener to be available for the AHL/NHL tweener taxi squad. But offense is a step further and I personally just don't get that sense.

What I get is two parties with two different expectations that are close but just different enough to not give out a 1-way contract. So, maybe another NHL team would be willing.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
A conditional 7th has the potential to be better than the cost of a Menell-sized package marked Return to Sender from Abu Dhabi.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Hm ... I guess I am not reading too much into that. Its you4 boss saying he would prefer his AHL/NHL tweener to be available for the AHL/NHL tweener taxi squad. But offense is a step further and I personally just don't get that sense.

What I get is two parties with two different expectations that are close but just different enough to not give out a 1-way contract. So, maybe another NHL team would be willing.
Toronto pays their AHL guys EXTREMELY WELL.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a 2 year 3-350k/ 750k 1st year and 2nd year 750k 1 way

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Same story posting last week when saying it seemed like Guerin had issues with Mennell. At this point, when there is smoke there is fire until Guerin proves otherwise. Feel free to be an apologist.

So if someone doesn't agree with your take, they're an apologist? Surely people are allowed to see sense behind their GM's moves without having to be instantly labeled?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
With that said, I'm obviously not a fan either. The org/BG must have their reasons, but man, I wanted him signed. Guess there's something under the surface we're not aware of...

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
Is it my imagination or was there a narrative around Billy wanting competition for that right side of the third pairing? And that’s now going to come from someone who it seems improbable will be anything more than a league-minimum seventh man?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think this is telling on how the Wild view his future in the league. Wild fans infinitely more high on him as a player than the Wild...or many other teams if this is all they could get.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
You mean the same AHL salary that we're paying Dakota Mermis?
I guess it’s close

that means it’s an over pay for menell with only 5 or so NHL games played compared to mermis.

PLUS Mermis was an UFA which is worth a really good chunk more money

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
You mean the same AHL salary that we're paying Dakota Mermis?

Yeah that really isn't my point about the money. The guy wants to play in the NHL and he's been with the Wild for three years. He wants it, the problem is, personally for me, I'm not sold.

But you know what, the Wild didn't approach it the best way either. We SHOULD have given him more auditions over the three years to see what we have but we didnt. But that is where we are now, he wants security, the team didn't see enough to give him that and in my select viewings of him, I tend to agree with the team. I just wished i got more viewings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad