Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
ive been watching san jose games and honestly its such a breath of fresh air. imagine cheering for a team that actually attempts to be competitive by keeping and acquiring stars rather than peddling them off as soon as they ask for the money they deserve.

to everyone saying that the boycott is going to make us lose players like duchene and stone lol. we weren't going to sign them anyway.

The Bill always comes due. SJ, like St Louis and NYR will stumble and have to rebuild, every team has to

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
lol we started rebuilding while we were on the cusp of being competitive.

Our bill came due 8 years ago, not 8 months ago. And we’ve been paying for it ever since, the attendance tells the story of what the fans think of the team on and off the ice

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Needs expansion and explanation of the Other Expenses line. $60 million

Paying "rent" to the CTC and travel/team expenses shouldn't hit 60 million.

He jacks up the rent to CTC, which he owns, so it looks like the team is losing money. The president’s salary is also a huge expense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Needs expansion and explanation of the Other Expenses line. $60 million

Paying "rent" to the CTC and travel/team expenses shouldn't hit 60 million.

~60 mil in other expenses is pretty consistent with other teams across the league. I crunched the numbers (based of Forbes' data) and we were bottom 10 in "other expenses", around 5-7th if I recall.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hell an NHL teams stick budget is over 500K a year. 60M gets chewed up quickly.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Source?

Based on what I was told, money has been re-directed from the team to other ventures, both commercial and personal. So that's cash that could have been deployed against debt, for example. And no, I won't reveal source so you can dismiss it if you like.

Well, I can't say that I would trust Melnyk (who looks like a Russian mobster) so yes it's very possible that he's screwing us and his own asset (doesn't make sense though although it's possible) but I can't make this assumption.

The only thing I can assuredly say is that Melnyk is a PR disaster.

But all those years with huge losses came about because of debt, not operating.

Ottawa is usually in the 15-20 range in operating income and revenue (not counting 2018 because of #MelnykOut). Those are numbers that actually indicate the viability of the market and fanbase, while debt does not.

The debt, IMO, is due to Melnyk's ability (or inability) to own a sports franchise.

Well, it's very complicated file and I haven't or won't make a deep-analysis study on this but many problems to begin with. I believe getting the CTC in Kanata in the first place was a cost-saving move but really not ideal long-term. Like I said before, Ottawa is not a big market (low population, big % of Habs/Leafs fans among people who care about hockey) but there has been a dedicated fanbase who went out to see games over the years, keeping the team afloat.

However, you have to realize that until last year, the Sens haven't sucked for over 20 years, with their worst finish being 26th in 2010-11. If they had sucked for years like the Leafs, Oilers or Sabres, it could have been really hard. On the contrary, they made the playoffs 16 times in those 20 seasons and have been close or in the race 3 other times with 83, 85 and 88 pts. So I'd argue they never really had a down like they are having since last year. Sure, they had bumps on the road but not even close to the fallout of the 2018 year. That kind of situation can really hurt a fragile market like Ottawa. Fans might be dedicated and loyal all they want but the customer pool is just not big enough to cover downs like this (like it did/would in Toronto or Montreal)

Anyway, just a side point but it's true there has a been something done wrong financially as maybe the debt shouldn't have been as big, or cleared before. Maybe it's a result of Melnyk screwing up his own asset (weird but possible), or bad decisions or a mix of both. I don't know much, it's hard to say with certainty either way.

In the end, maybe Melnyk had the "ability" to own a NHL franchise before but with the operating costs going up every year (salary cap, etc) and the team revenues not following, it has been getting hard for him and maybe the timing to sell has come but can't make that decision for him.

I respect your posts bigtime but personally I will not be held hostage by this owner any longer, I'm fully prepared for pain here and already assume Duchene and Stone etc.. are out the door...I know I would be if I was an elite player and I'm a die hard fan of the team lol.

Im stubborn so id rather see the team fold up shop and never here from this guy again than have what's currently occurring with a greedy owner basically syphoning off cash for his personal fun times from many local residents of this fine city all the while laughing at them proclaiming "bare bones" everything! As was mentioned, it would suck for many years but I would still like and watch NHL hockey, just not in Ottawa. Im close to apathy mode because of Melnyk.

Also love that work Linguo did over on Chirp, really great stuff that the shameless media won't touch!

Thanks but don't get me wrong, as I have said multiple times before, there's nothing more I'd want in Sens land than new ownership (outside of the Cup of course). However, I don't think that boycott is very effective. I would rather see people collecting money to build up a "bonus" that Melnyk could get when he sells the team. Heck, I'd throw 1000$ in it right away*

I'm really not on Melnyk' side and I'm hoping everyday that he sells so that would convince Stone and Duchene to stay long term and potentially fix most problems (financial state going forward, new arena downtown file, spending closer to the cap, etc)

* before someone says Melnyk doesn't deserve a reward, I know but I don't care, I just want to find a way to convince him to sell so we can move on with our Sens life. Problem here is how big could that bonus get? lol maybe we could have all other NHL fans threw a few dollars to help? Like some kind of pity :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I''m looking forward to the next Vice article on Melnyk. Always entertaining, especially given it's ownership.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Although I understand the dilemma, I just bought 2 tickets for 2 games for my son for Christmas, who is a Sharks fan, always has been. We live up the Ottawa Valley. We love the Kanata location. Will the walk-up customers make up for all the outlining Valley tickets that won’t get bought? Just talkin’

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Will the walk-up customers make up for all the outlining Valley tickets that won’t get bought? Just talkin’

Easily. There are so many people that work downtown Ottawa that could just walk to the game after work.

People that are in the valley would still come, just like people that live in Orleans/Rockland still go to games right now even though it's far for them. I have many friends that live in the valley and when they go out they go out in Ottawa anyways. By having the arena in the most central location possible where the population density is at it's highest will definitely result in more walk ins.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The Bill always comes due. SJ, like St Louis and NYR will stumble and have to rebuild, every team has to

You’d think so but they have drafting gurus over there... Sharks AHL team is 16-4-1 and crushing it with a bunch of 20-22 year olds
Along with the cap space they have
And the other prospects

Sharks have cap space to play with... and Doug Wilson will have the assets to go big game hunting like he always does

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The problem with SJ is that they have never been able to anything in the playoffs and have that terrible mantle of playoffs chokers, always have. It's a hard one to break away from, as we as Sens fans know all too well.

They need a cup finals at least with this core or Thorton's entire time there will forever be a time of playoff futility. They look good enough on paper this year, as they always do, but maybe EK can get them there this time, though without an extension do they go for it with him?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You’d think so but they have drafting gurus over there... Sharks AHL team is 16-4-1 and crushing it with a bunch of 20-22 year olds
Along with the cap space they have
And the other prospects

Sharks have cap space to play with... and Doug Wilson will have the assets to go big game hunting like he always does
And a 20 year old undrafted goalie. Not bad

Reactions: Sens

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The problem with SJ is that they have never been able to anything in the playoffs and have that terrible mantle of playoffs chokers, always have. It's a hard one to break away from, as we as Sens fans know all too well.

They need a cup finals at least with this core or Thorton's entire time there will forever be a time of playoff futility. They look good enough on paper this year, as they always do, but maybe EK can get them there this time, though without an extension do they go for it with him?

They did reach the cup finals not that long ago.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Easily. There are so many people that work downtown Ottawa that could just walk to the game after work.

People that are in the valley would still come, just like people that live in Orleans/Rockland still go to games right now even though it's far for them. I have many friends that live in the valley and when they go out they go out in Ottawa anyways. By having the arena in the most central location possible where the population density is at it's highest will definitely result in more walk ins.

Let's not forget that Lebreton is much closer to Hull/Gatineau and I guarantee you if this ever gets built the Sens will get tons more walk-ups from Québec.

Reactions: Take a Bath Son

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad